+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarification on : Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees.

Gabrielmsf

Star Member
Apr 7, 2019
how many times I have to state it, for every different person ?

isn't it obvious ? I don't mean to be rude, stop looking for quick answers, work a little.
Hello Hope, I was wondering if you would be able to answer my previous question:

Hello

I have a question - I completed a Bachelor's back in my country which is getting evaluated by WES at this time. No problems there.
But I and ALSO got a one year diploma from a PRIVATE post secondary school in canada.

From what I could gather, I will NOT get the extra 15pts for canadian education as the school (it's a film school) likely does not operate under the same rules and regulations as public institutions. My question is, will I still be able to claim points for having the one year diploma and be elligible for Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees?

It's a recognized school, registered with the Private Training Institutions Branch. They have a DLI and everything else, but I know, for example, that they do not issue PGWPs.
Unfortunately I went all over the forums multiple times and couldn't find any absolute answer for this specific situation...

H0peAndFa1th

Jun 19, 2017
Unfortunately I went all over the forums multiple times and couldn't find any absolute answer for this specific situation...
no doubt, your problem is unique

you can fill your details, and leave it to ircc for the evaluation, beside it, you are required to enter all the information, so you have no choice, whether they give you the points or not.

its best to leave it to them.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017

you can fill your details, and leave it to ircc for the evaluation, beside it, you are required to enter all the information, so you have no choice, whether they give you the points or not.

Hey there old friend. Have you got the ITA yet?

Reactions: H0peAndFa1th

Gabrielmsf

Star Member
Apr 7, 2019

Thank you for the answer Hope! It doesn't make me any less nervous, but I deeply appreciate the sentiment.

If anyone here has any experience with this sort of situation (getting points for Private Career post-secondary diploma or private college diploma) I would be thrilled if you could share your experience with me, either by replying to this post or by private messaging.

Thank you all in advance.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Hello Hope, I was wondering if you would be able to answer my previous question:

I think you won't be able to claim points.

Canada's top 2 film schools Toronto and Vancouver film school diplomas are not accepted for Canadian diplomas. Technically, they are Canadian institutions but you can't points for them since they operate as private institutions with different rules. Hence, they don't qualify for PGWP either.

Gabrielmsf

Star Member
Apr 7, 2019
I think you won't be able to claim points.

Canada's top 2 film schools Toronto and Vancouver film school diplomas are not accepted for Canadian diplomas. Technically, they are Canadian institutions but you can't points for them since they operate as private institutions with different rules. Hence, they don't qualify for PGWP either.
Hey Sith Lord,

I understood how it worked for the "Canadian Education" extra 15 points. I gave up on those already.

I just think it's kinda crazy if it doesn't count as a regular diploma as it is a One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a university, college, trade or technical school...

It's a course approved by the Private training institution branchs of BC and has a DLI..

Canadian1867

Apr 4, 2019
  • I sent 2 credentials ( 4 years bachelor's & 1-year post grad cert) to WES, and the result was: Canadian Equivalency Summary: Bachelor's.
  • In the same report, the 2nd credential was evaluated as Canadian Equivalency: Postgraduate diploma (one semester).
  • Later on, I have sent my PG Cert to IQAS and after 22 weeks Evaluation Summary is '' The Post Graduate Certificate generally compares to the completion of a Graduate Certificate with a focus in Petroleum Engineering''.
  • Today, I have sent my first credential ( 4year Bachelor's) to CES UofT for evaluation.
  • I will use IQAS & CES UofT to claim points for ''Two or more certificates, diplomas''
  • I will not use WES result for Express Entry, but my ECA report has already sent to IRCC.
So, my question is that at the end of the day, after ITA, is it possible that Visa Officer will reject or will ask a question, considering the fact that WES has already automatically sent an email to IRCC saying that 2nd credential recognized as a one semester (PG Cert)?

Although I will not use WES ECA, can contradictions between ECA (in this case it WES-IQAS) reports can cause problems?

Last edited:

H0peAndFa1th

Jun 19, 2017
  • I sent 2 credentials ( 4 years bachelor's & 1-year post grad cert) to WES, and the result was: Canadian Equivalency Summary: Bachelor's.
  • In the same report, the 2nd credential was evaluated as Canadian Equivalency: Postgraduate diploma (one semester).
  • Later on, I have sent my PG Cert to IQAS and after 22 weeks Evaluation Summary is '' The Post Graduate Certificate generally compares to the completion of a Graduate Certificate with a focus in Petroleum Engineering''.
  • Today, I have sent my first credential ( 4year Bachelor's) to CES UofT for evaluation.
  • I will use IQAS & CES UofT to claim points for ''Two or more certificates, diplomas''
  • I will not use WES result for Express Entry, but my ECA report has already sent to IRCC.
So, my question is that at the end of the day, after ITA, is it possible that Visa Officer will reject or will ask a question, considering the fact that WES has already automatically sent an email to IRCC saying that 2nd credential recognized as a one semester (PG Cert)?

Although I will not use WES ECA, can contradictions between ECA (in this case it WES-IQAS) reports can cause problems?
to me, it is a new case, I guess, you are thinking right, go for it, and lets hope for the best.

do let us know later, what happened with your application.

Reactions: Canadian1867

Canadian1867

Apr 4, 2019

Dear all, please advise, I need your opinion :):)

samag

Mar 18, 2019
Hello mates! Wanted someone to guide me, I finished my 2 year diploma in engineering then I've done a 1 year top-up BSc. In engineering, what will my wes eca show? And do i need to send everything togethere? They are 2 different universities ..
Thanks in advance.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017

You can very well use WES ECA for bachelor's and IQAS for PG Cert. It won't affect your application if WES shows a different evaluation compared to IQAS.

gotyou0000

Aug 22, 2018
Hello all, I have been doing some research on this topic. when someone is eligible for "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees."

as they clarified but still confusing
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/education-assessed/read-report.html

My interpretation : I think here they want to tell us that, any certificate,diploma or degree done after graduation of 3 or 4 years, In ECA assessment they want to see words like Postgraduate, Post-Bachelor's, Graduate etc or just simple two degrees of four years.

then here :

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html

My interpretation : They want you to have one three year diploma/degree and one certificate, pretty good right ?? see next :

My interpretation : let us read again
"at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer"

your two or more is only valid if it is done after completion of 3 year program.

secondary >> 3 year degree/diploma program>> any one/two/three year certificate/diploma/degree program

Now you are eligible for two or more.

but if you have any one/two year certificate/diploma/degree before that 3 year program, you are not eligible for two or more.

something similar found on reddit

My ECA Assessments are

I have a 3 diploma year diploma from state technical board (india)
which is equivalent to : Secondary school diploma and diploma (two years)
and bachelor degree with lateral entry to second year
which is equivalent to : Bachelor's degree (four years)
Final will be something like this:
CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY : Bachelor's degree (four years)

or diploma (two years) and Bachelor's degree (four years)

so by all logic, i don't think I am eligible for for two or more because its like

10 year study or 10th >>> Secondary school diploma and diploma (two years) >>> Bachelor's degree (four years)
or can break it as
10 year study or 10th >>> Secondary school diploma >>> diploma (two years) >>> Bachelor's degree (four years)

here my diploma (two years) comes before 3 year program, so it is not valid for two or more.

secondary >> 3 year degree/diploma program>> any one/two/three year certificate/diploma/degree program
but if get any other Postgraduate/Post-Bachelor's one/two/three year certificate/diploma/degree or Masters, I would be eligible for two or more points.
for me, it will be like
10 year study or 10th >>> Secondary school diploma and diploma (two years) >>> Bachelor's degree (four years) >>> Post graduate diploma/certificate(1/2year ) Or Masters (2 years)

I have seen a few similar cases on this forum with same question and same study as mine, I took this little imitative to clear some air, but not claiming to be 100% right, may be I am totally wrong. please share your input and knowledge on this matter.

My interpretation : let us read again
"at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer"

Even after this criteria. Secondary >>> Bachelor's degree >>> Advance Diploma

ECA for Advance diploma is One Year College-Level certificate (which is listed on this link
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/education-assessed/read-report.html)

Then also CIC rejected my application ... saying that Advance Diploma is not Post-secondary (even when it was done after graduation and eligibility on University's website is min Bachelor's 2nd year.

sunil351

Apr 29, 2019
after my graduation btech 4 years i pursued a one year certificate course from sbtet in industrial safety, so am i eligible to opt in this category? please help me out.much greatful