+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship test: Collective action required, or expect endless delays, years. Example of the effective lobbyng of people awaiting spousal sponsorship

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
It would not surprise me to see the pace of online tests and virtual oaths being a discussion point between the union and IRCC. The reason is simple - what starts as a remote-working solution during COVID, has the potential to gradually increase automation and reduce the number of IRCC employees required to process a given number of applications.

Unions of all stripes (not just government employee unions) have increasingly been adding automation to collective bargaining agreements. They see automation as a bad thing that should be resisted, similar to offshoring. See here for example How Unions Can Protect the Workers Vulnerable to Automation (uniontrack.com).
What’s your point then?

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
What’s your point then?
I'm hoping it's that unions lose the fight against automation - I'm pro-union up until a point; when they start using their power to slow progress and purely to protect their constituents at the expense of the customers, that's where my support tapers off.

Reactions: prash42

prash42

Jun 1, 2014
That there is likely a non-technology reason why online test have not expanded beyond "pilot" capacity of 5k applicants. Recall when the pilot was launched, there were high hopes for rapid expansion. It's a bit naive to assume the slow progress is due to technology scalability. Notice radio silence out of IRCC on their online test plans.

What’s your point then?

piotrqc

Aug 10, 2020
Hello friends,

Here is the latest update from the Honorable A.U, the lead of the group '' Advocates for Resumption of Canadian Citizenship Test ''.

Below his last text, accompanies the same screenshots he shared.

A.U said:
Hello All , I know its a while.
We wrote to the Immigration standing committee with high hopes and zeal but unfortunately I cant say that the response was as hopeful as the Advocates team expected. However we wont just stop here....
In our observation the process of citizenship grant has apparently become random and as slow as it was back in the mid of pandemic. Substantial 2019 and before applicants continue to wait while later applicants (no-offence to them ) have received extra ordinary movement on files. Process closure after ~2years is a very reasonable expectation.
Here are a screenshots of our emails.
@AdocatesCtest

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/175296944_4127066930676778_3240642638295808058_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=EZoSj-OBDoMAX8vjDlW&_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.xx&oh=d5b5af987a46ab7388a83b131e41441a&oe=60A03783

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/175589892_4127069440676527_5051585480993907677_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=i0JPSdJz05UAX9gXF09&_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.xx&oh=1e7b10896b2d379262fb2602d8dfd700&oe=60A2B443

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
Hello friends,

Here is the latest update from the Honorable A.U, the lead of the group '' Advocates for Resumption of Canadian Citizenship Test ''.

Below his last text, accompanies the same screenshots he shared.
Well, that's just freaking depressing. It very much sounds like those of us that applied in 2019 should have waited a few more months and applied in 2020 to get faster results :/

piotrqc

Aug 10, 2020
Well, that's just freaking depressing. It very much sounds like those of us that applied in 2019 should have waited a few more months and applied in 2020 to get faster results :/
You are right ... I am at the stage of considering immediately re-making another online request ... Do you think it is worth it? ... What happens to the first request if we make a second?

I'm afraid that the ircc workers union, in addition to sticking to code 699 allowing them to receive their full salary without doing anything at the taxpayer's expense (Thanks to the Treasury Board for fixing this!) .. I am afraid that they will ask to only do online work by teleworking ... Our paper requests risk remaining in their archives ad vitam aeternam, which means indefinitely.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
I think it's not fair to say that 2020 applicants get faster result. We are all in this together and seeing one or few 2020 applicants getting test invite doesn't mean that 2020 applicants are treating better. In fact a lot of 2020 applicants are still waiting and yes I saw some december online applicants getting test invite back in march or early but since then I didn't see any new test invite for online applicants, so hard to conclude that online is faster with this small amount of data.

Reactions: canuck78

Lex2019

Jan 21, 2019
You are right ... I am at the stage of considering immediately re-making another online request ... Do you think it is worth it? ... What happens to the first request if we make a second?

I'm afraid that the ircc workers union, in addition to sticking to code 699 allowing them to receive their full salary without doing anything at the taxpayer's expense (Thanks to the Treasury Board for fixing this!) .. I am afraid that they will ask to only do online work by teleworking ... Our paper requests risk remaining in their archives ad vitam aeternam, which means indefinitely.
I don't know whether it will speed up anything. Likewise I don't believe anyone here would credibly be able to advise as I've yet to see one whose has withdrawn their paper applications and re-submitted online and got any result whatsoever. Tuff to witness all of this happening, but I would definitely try to spend some effort in trying to find out the reasons (if there are any) for the delay of your application (either on the phone or through GCMS or both). Then I would probably ask them outright if there's any effect on withdrawing an application and re-applying. I don't know if you'll be able to get anything meaningful out of the forum. This all sucks big time...

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
I don't know whether it will speed up anything. Likewise I don't believe anyone here would credibly be able to advise as I've yet to see one whose has withdrawn their paper applications and re-submitted online and got any result whatsoever. Tuff to witness all of this happening, but I would definitely try to spend some effort in trying to find out the reasons (if there are any) for the delay of your application (either on the phone or through GCMS or both). Then I would probably ask them outright if there's any effect on withdrawing an application and re-applying. I don't know if you'll be able to get anything meaningful out of the forum. This all sucks big time...
I've tried updates via GCMS, phone and even the webform - always the same noncommittal boilerplate answer. On top of that, they've been stalled processing applications from March 31st - April 6th, 2019 now for THREE WEEKS STRAIGHT. Now we're looking at more than a two-year delay and it's not clear when or even if they're really working on improving the experience. To say it's disheartening is a gross understatement; we've done everything that was asked (and then some) and it frankly goes against the Canadian notion of "Fair Government" to have the process (admittedly, anecdotally) appear to favour those who came after us. I know life isn't fair, it sucks, grab a helmet, etc, but it doesn't lessen the sting, especially if you've done your part.

• Sad
Reactions: calgary1991

FlyingLion

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
I've tried updates via GCMS, phone and even the webform - always the same noncommittal boilerplate answer. On top of that, they've been stalled processing applications from March 31st - April 6th, 2019 now for THREE WEEKS STRAIGHT. Now we're looking at more than a two-year delay and it's not clear when or even if they're really working on improving the experience. To say it's disheartening is a gross understatement; we've done everything that was asked (and then some) and it frankly goes against the Canadian notion of "Fair Government" to have the process (admittedly, anecdotally) appear to favour those who came after us. I know life isn't fair, it sucks, grab a helmet, etc, but it doesn't lessen the sting, especially if you've done your part.
In life you never get what you deserve, you only get what you have the leverage to negotiate. Right now we don't have much leverage, the only thing we can do is to wait. Unless they exceed the maximum delay (and they will probably do for some applications), we can't do much.
It sucks but it is what it is.
In the meantime, Imma go play some golf. :cool:

FlyingLion

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
I think it's not fair to say that 2020 applicants get faster result. We are all in this together and seeing one or few 2020 applicants getting test invite doesn't mean that 2020 applicants are treating better. In fact a lot of 2020 applicants are still waiting and yes I saw some december online applicants getting test invite back in march or early but since then I didn't see any new test invite for online applicants, so hard to conclude that online is faster with this small amount of data.
Exactly, most of 2020 applicants including myself didn't get their test invites yet. Just comparing between the group on facebook and this forum I feel like I am seeing more 2019 applicants moving forward. The whole thing is a mess anyway, I stopped looking at the excel sheet a long time ago.

thesonicbro

Jul 24, 2016
I would speak from the experience of two separate cases (one for myself and another of a friend). We both applied in September 2019 and we got processed almost similarly until the friend received a Canadian citizenship test invite back in February 2020 which was cancelled by the next month due to COVID-19. However, my case remain "In Process" up until November 2020 where I received an email to provide copies of my passports (CIT 520 "NOTICE TO APPLICANT - REQUEST FOR SUPPLEMENTARY EVIDENCE") which I then determined that my application was a non-routine type.

Fast forward, I received an email by the end of March 2021 inviting me to take the online Canadian citizenship test. My friend, though, has not received any further correspondence since the cancellation of his in-person Canadian citizenship test.

On behalf of myself and my friend, If we would be of any help to support calls and inquires to deliver our voices, we would be happy to participate.

Reactions: hallooo and chs

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
I would speak from the experience of two separate cases (one for myself and another of a friend). We both applied in September 2019 and we got processed almost similarly until the friend received a Canadian citizenship test invite back in February 2020 which was cancelled by the next month due to COVID-19. However, my case remain "In Process" up until November 2020 where I received an email to provide copies of my passports (CIT 520 "NOTICE TO APPLICANT - REQUEST FOR SUPPLEMENTARY EVIDENCE") which I then determined that my application was a non-routine type.

Fast forward, I received an email by the end of March 2021 inviting me to take the online Canadian citizenship test. My friend, though, has not received any further correspondence since the cancellation of his in-person Canadian citizenship test.

On behalf of myself and my friend, If we would be of any help to support calls and inquires to deliver our voices, we would be happy to participate.
Where did you file?

skykhan

Mar 4, 2021
Hi,

I applied for grant of citizenship Back in October 2017
started processing December 2017
Finger prints in November 2019
Brampton resident
file in IRCC Mississauga
back home country Pakistan

after that nothing

called to MP couple of times but no help they say its in process
Hired top Lawyers in Tornoto but they also say everything is good ,all checks passed but its just matter of time .

Atip notes say evrything good file may continue to process .

But its taking forever now i know its delayed some because of Covid 19 but more then 3 years in process.

Anyone can help in this or any ideas what can be done at this point ??

Thank you so much