+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship test: Collective action required, or expect endless delays, years. Example of the effective lobbyng of people awaiting spousal sponsorship

Marooned2

Star Member
May 18, 2017
Why the cases are going so high again. This stupid virus basically removed one year of our lives not only in the aspects discussed here but almost in all aspects. So annoying. I really hope at least we get over with the virus by early Summer 2021.

Reactions: limits

sarafandee

Nov 18, 2014
It is all political posturing in the backdrop of anti-China fervor. The residents of Hong Kong, even with the imposition of the national security law, enjoy much greater freedom than many people/countries in the world – the fact that the 300,000 Canadian citizens living in Hong Kong are not rushing to come back to Canada already speaks volumes. But I don't see the Canadian government considering implementing a new immigration scheme for all the countries with less freedom than what Hong Kong still enjoys.

Therefore it is a measure that serves to score political points.

We as permanent residents already living in Canada – our situation is less important to them because we don't help them score political points.

Perhaps we need to make more noise - more social media pressure, more demonstrations ... It's a shame really.
Well said, this is simply to score political points.

Reactions: AshesNdust

sachinsoman1988

Oct 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2016
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
08-01-2016
IELTS Request
None
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
24-01-2016
Passport Req..
11-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
LANDED..........
26-09-2016
Dana reason to apply is so that he/she can travel to UK easily. So yes that take precedence over World (Hong Kong) issues.

Most of the people who were very vocal here are now quite because they got Biden/Harris in US and are expecting their GC will process quickly so Canadian citizenship doesn't matter much.

Only a few people really give value to Citizenship and I do support their cause or belief of getting citizenship early or IRCC should give priority.
In US, the number of GCs and how its allocated is a law and to change it US congress/senate/president needs to be onboard. Biden/Harris is not changing anything as its not even their priority according to their manifesto. 8 years of Obama did nothing to it too. Once, trump did show an interest to change the GC system to point based like in Canada but it lost traction!!

If Canada opts out of TN visa OR US starts giving that visa based on country of birth just like their GCs, then we will get a good estimate of how many value citizenship :D.

vegasIndian

Oct 15, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2014
Nomination.....
09-09-2014
AOR Received.
25-03-2015
Med's Request
03-Apr-2015
Med's Done....
17-Jul-2015
Interview........
Not Required.
Passport Req..
24-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
04-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
20-Aug-2015
In US, the number of GCs and how its allocated is a law and to change it US congress/senate/president needs to be onboard. Biden/Harris is not changing anything as its not even their priority according to their manifesto. 8 years of Obama did nothing to it too. Once, trump did show an interest to change the GC system to point based like in Canada but it lost traction!!

If Canada opts out of TN visa OR US starts giving that visa based on country of birth just like their GCs, then we will get a good estimate of how many value citizenship :D.
Yeah. Totally agree.

Reactions: Fallen_Warrior

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Why the cases are going so high again. This stupid virus basically removed one year of our lives not only in the aspects discussed here but almost in all aspects. So annoying. I really hope at least we get over with the virus by early Summer 2021.
Yeah it's really crazy. Although people are out and about more and more. Not that I blame them since everyone is getting fed up. Just the sign of the times.

Though, it is worth pointing out that the Pfizer Vaccine looks to be incredibly promising with its preliminary results. Its efficacy is 90% effective so far - levels that could potentially mean extinction for the virus.

orangecurtain

Dec 9, 2019
Never said I was selfless, just recognize that my needs don’t necessarily translate into a national emergency.
Keep up with the personal attacks, it’s a fun 3 seconds to read them. Breaks up boring meetings.
It's a fun 3 seconds to trigger your insecurities. What meetings are you talking about? You do realize you type up to 3-4 paragraphs each time acting all self-righteous. How do you have so much time on your hands during business hours? I would worry about submitting CERB applications on time, if I were you. Your unrelenting attempts to dissuade people from expressing their frustration and desire to protest, is borderline creepy. You were awfully quiet a few posts ago when they covered the protests, most likely punching the air yeah? LOL.

Reactions: Parnian1988

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
better being removed of one year of life than being wiped out

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
It's a fun 3 seconds to trigger your insecurities. What meetings are you talking about? You do realize you type up to 3-4 paragraphs each time acting all self-righteous. How do you have so much time on your hands during business hours? I would worry about submitting CERB applications on time, if I were you. Your unrelenting attempts to dissuade people from expressing their frustration and desire to protest, is borderline creepy. You were awfully quiet a few posts ago when they covered the protests, most likely punching the air yeah? LOL.
Stuck in meeting about 10 hours a day at work, it’s a fun distraction while waiting for meeting setups. I wasn’t posting because people were actually respecting each other without telling others to STFU. The coverage for the protests was very minimal. I think letter writing and calls to local reps made more of a difference. BOYX posted a great letter template for everyone to use.
No one is saying don’t express opinions, just be respectful when doing so. No personal attacks, no telling someone to STFU, no unfounded accusations of cheating the system, etc.
Typing 3-4 paragraphs takes about 3-4 minutes, it’s not a major activity.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Why won’t they simply scrap the citizenship test for now, clear the back logs and resume again for future applications when everything goes back to normal?
Unfortunately, because of the way the Citizen Act was written, we have to have a test to demonstrate our knowledge of Canada. So, the government would have to rewrite the current law.
One thing they could do within the scope of the law would be to have all tests done orally. Maybe do the test, interview, and oath at the same time, so if you pass the test and interview they could give the oath right then and there.
It would be a slow process since it would have to be one on one, but at least we’d have some movement.
One of the most frustrating things right now is the complete lack of communication from the IRCC. An update about online testing is long over due.

Reactions: savarana

limits

May 13, 2015
Unfortunately, because of the way the Citizen Act was written, we have to have a test to demonstrate our knowledge of Canada. So, the government would have to rewrite the current law.
One thing they could do within the scope of the law would be to have all tests done orally. Maybe do the test, interview, and oath at the same time, so if you pass the test and interview they could give the oath right then and there.
It would be a slow process since it would have to be one on one, but at least we’d have some movement.
One of the most frustrating things right now is the complete lack of communication from the IRCC. An update about online testing is long over due.
Looks like the Citizen Act is desperately screaming for an UPDATE!

EUK

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oath has to be taken in front of a citizenship judge where as test and interview is conducted by immigration officer. There are somewhere around 8 ish citizenship judges so not sure how reasonable it will be...

Mustafa100

Star Member
Oct 21, 2013
How much hate do some people have for the immigrants?
After 7 hrs of CBC posted this video on YouTube, I saw 1k+ dislikes and hundreds of stupid comments.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Oath has to be taken in front of a citizenship judge where as test and interview is conducted by immigration officer. There are somewhere around 8 ish citizenship judges so not sure how reasonable it will be...
The assigned officer is usually a judge, but doesn’t have to be. However, you are right that it would be slow, unless they can suddenly hire and train a ton more people. It’s the only possibility I can think of that fits in the current law. I’m hoping people smarter than me can figure out a faster, better way that won’t require any laws having to be rewritten. They really need to get the online testing figured out.