+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Applications after Bill C-6

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Hi everyone,

1) The width of many of the columns in the appln form allows only nine letters. The remaining letters will be continued to next line which looks awkward. Is there any method to fix this or you guys left it as it is?

2)About photos- What I understand is that apart from the photograher's address and date I should write my name in CAPS on the reverse of the photo. Should I sign also there? I was confused because Costco's photo has a line for "Guarantor's signature" on the back

3)For Q.17 (c) Quebec's Perm List of Electors- Request for authorization- Since I am not a resident of Quebec shall I mark "No", since there is no optiion to write N/A?

Thanks
1) If you've got many lines of text then referring to a separate piece of paper may be better, but otherwise the clunky formatting is just fine. There's no way to fix it.

2) That's because costco used the stamp they use for passport applications, and for those at least one photo needs to be signed by a guarantor. That's not the case for citizenship photos, though.

3) I left it blank on mine, but answering "no" seems just fine.

Reactions: yezdi_in

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Hello everyone - my application is currently in process however i believe that i submitted wrong dates for my current address - instead of May i put April - what's the process when this happen - do i have to submit a new application?
Your application is in process, right, so you received AOR and have access to ecas? There's no need to submit a new application.

You can call IRCC (1-888-242-2100) and ask an agent to update your file, or you can use the web form to send them a note with the correct information.

yezdi_in

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
Doc's Request.
04-10-2010
AOR Received.
12-01-2011
Med's Request
18-07-2013
Med's Done....
03-08-2013
Passport Req..
18-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2013
LANDED..........
08-05-2014
All these questions are about Q.11 "What you have been doing during eligibility period?..."

Can you guys tell me whether these are correct answers or any change reqd?

1) For duration of Unemployment I am planning to write as following:

Name of Employer : N/A
Where physically located: My home adress
Name/ phone/ email of Contact person : N/A / N/A / N/A

2) During my first one month in Canada I was living in a friend's house till I got apartment and moved.

For this duration, should I write my friend's Name/phone/email for Contact person details or write N/A / N/A / N/A like the above situation?

3) For duration of Self-employment

Name of Employer : Self Employed
Where phisically located: My home adress
Name/ phone/ email of Contact : Self/ My phone No/ My Email or should I write N/A / N/A / N/A like in First situation above?

Thanks in advance !!!

yezdi_in

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
Doc's Request.
04-10-2010
AOR Received.
12-01-2011
Med's Request
18-07-2013
Med's Done....
03-08-2013
Passport Req..
18-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2013
LANDED..........
08-05-2014
1) If you've got many lines of text then referring to a separate piece of paper may be better, but otherwise the clunky formatting is just fine. There's no way to fix it.

2) That's because costco used the stamp they use for passport applications, and for those at least one photo needs to be signed by a guarantor. That's not the case for citizenship photos, though.

3) I left it blank on mine, but answering "no" seems just fine.
@btbt Thank you very much for the clarifications :)

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
All these questions are about Q.11 "What you have been doing during eligibility period?..."

Can you guys tell me whether these are correct answers or any change reqd?

1) For duration of Unemployment I am planning to write as following:

Name of Employer : N/A
Where physically located: My home adress
Name/ phone/ email of Contact person : N/A / N/A / N/A

2) During my first one month in Canada I was living in a friend's house till I got apartment and moved.

For this duration, should I write my friend's Name/phone/email for Contact person details or write N/A / N/A / N/A like the above situation?

3) For duration of Self-employment

Name of Employer : Self Employed
Where phisically located: My home adress
Name/ phone/ email of Contact : Self/ My phone No/ My Email or should I write N/A / N/A / N/A like in First situation above?

Thanks in advance !!!
So, the form will be read by a human being. As long as it's clear what you mean you'll be fine.

I take it you're sorting these by time period, rather than by activity (as your examples are above)? And you only have a period of unemployment and a period of self-employment (or if not, you know where and how to add the other activities)?

While unemployed you can just have "N/A" for all entries or leave the address and name entries blank. Putting your home address isn't wrong, but seems unclear (as it means the person reviewing your file will now need to go check if that's your home address, and not something else).
(For the time I was unemployed I just left the address and contact entries blank, and that caused no difficulties)

You would only list your friend's address in the question 10, not in question 11 (unless he was your employer).

For self-employed you can do either. Making it clear it's your own address and contact information seems best, if you add contact information here, so the reviewing citizenship officer knows that's not a third party they can contact to validate your claims.

surya99

Star Member
Oct 25, 2016
Why are you giving an email address and phone numbers for the Canada Revenue Agency (that looks like they're for ATIP requests) when someone wants to update their information that's on file with IRCC?
CRA ???? who said that???? its from Canada.ca for ATIP. I myself contacted these guys on this number and email before for ATIP purposes.

yezdi_in

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
Doc's Request.
04-10-2010
AOR Received.
12-01-2011
Med's Request
18-07-2013
Med's Done....
03-08-2013
Passport Req..
18-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2013
LANDED..........
08-05-2014
So, the form will be read by a human being. As long as it's clear what you mean you'll be fine.

I take it you're sorting these by time period, rather than by activity (as your examples are above)? And you only have a period of unemployment and a period of self-employment (or if not, you know where and how to add the other activities)?

While unemployed you can just have "N/A" for all entries or leave the address and name entries blank. Putting your home address isn't wrong, but seems unclear (as it means the person reviewing your file will now need to go check if that's your home address, and not something else).
(For the time I was unemployed I just left the address and contact entries blank, and that caused no difficulties)

You would only list your friend's address in the question 10, not in question 11 (unless he was your employer).

For self-employed you can do either. Making it clear it's your own address and contact information seems best, if you add contact information here, so the reviewing citizenship officer knows that's not a third party they can contact to validate your claims.
Thanks @btbt for the detailed reply. The situations and my concerns are listed below. May sound silly, but if you could comment with your valuable ideas and experiences, it would be very helpful.

1) I will be writing the activities in reverse chronological order, starting with the present one in the top and working back to 2013. So, there are periods of self-employment and unemployment at some points of time.

2)"While unemployed you can just have "N/A" for all entries or leave the address and name entries blank."

Is it better to give your home address at that point of time so that they can understand I was in Canada itself though unemployed (though in Table 10 it was mentioned)? I don't know why they are asking the same thing again in Table 11.

This is only my doubt and experienced people like you only can only tell whether it is correct.

I was thinking like this because some other posts in this forum were suggesting to give your home address for the unemployed period, if I remember correctly.

3) "Putting your home address isn't wrong, but seems unclear (as it means the person reviewing your file will now need to go check if that's your home address, and not something else)."

What about mentioning in brackets that this was my home adress?

4)"You would only list your friend's address in the question 10, not in question 11 (unless he was your employer)."

I have already listed my friend's address in Q.10. No, he was not my employer. Why I was thinking of listing it in Q.11 was because I had a period of six months unemployment when I first landed in 2014. Out of this, in the first one month was I was living in friend's house and remaining five months in my apartment. So, if I gave my home address for the whole period ( I was not knowing about an option to leave the location address blank ) , it was a wrong information and my lease etc was from the second month. So I was thinking of splitting this period into two entries, and that's why I was confused whether to give my friend's contact no/ email since I was showing his address.

But, If I don't mention any address for this unemployed period, I can list it as one entry as you said.

5) "For the time I was unemployed I just left the address and contact entries blank, and that caused no difficulties"

So, is it a better idea to opt this? By the way, at what stage is your processing?

6) Any ideas from any other friends who already had similar situations?

Thanks in advance !!! :)

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Thanks @btbt for the detailed reply. The situations and my concerns are listed below. May sound silly, but if you could comment with your valuable ideas and experiences, it would be very helpful.

1) I will be writing the activities in reverse chronological order, starting with the present one in the top and working back to 2013. So, there are periods of self-employment and unemployment at some points of time.

2)"While unemployed you can just have "N/A" for all entries or leave the address and name entries blank."

Is it better to give your home address at that point of time so that they can understand I was in Canada itself though unemployed (though in Table 10 it was mentioned)? I don't know why they are asking the same thing again in Table 11.

This is only my doubt and experienced people like you only can only tell whether it is correct.

I was thinking like this because some other posts in this forum were suggesting to give your home address for the unemployed period, if I remember correctly.
It can be argued either way.
I felt it more obvious to leave it blank, as there is nobody they can go talk to to "validate" that claim.

3) "Putting your home address isn't wrong, but seems unclear (as it means the person reviewing your file will now need to go check if that's your home address, and not something else)."

What about mentioning in brackets that this was my home adress?
To me it just seems unnecessary to have an address there at all, but if you are going to have one noting that it's your home address seems the clearest approach.

4)"You would only list your friend's address in the question 10, not in question 11 (unless he was your employer)."

I have already listed my friend's address in Q.10. No, he was not my employer. Why I was thinking of listing it in Q.11 was because I had a period of six months unemployment when I first landed in 2014. Out of this, in the first one month was I was living in friend's house and remaining five months in my apartment. So, if I gave my home address for the whole period ( I was not knowing about an option to leave the location address blank ) , it was a wrong information and my lease etc was from the second month. So I was thinking of splitting this period into two entries, and that's why I was confused whether to give my friend's contact no/ email since I was showing his address.

But, If I don't mention any address for this unemployed period, I can list it as one entry as you said.
Question 11 is only about what you did, and IRCC offers the categories they have in mind: employed, self-employed, student, homemaker/retired/unemployed. For the last group (homemaker/retired/unemployed) there is nobody they can go talk to (other than you) to validate that your claim is correct, so I would not (and in my application did not) split that period into sections.

(When someone asks you what you did during that time you wouldn't say "I was unemployed at 1234 Street, Town". You'd just say "I was unemployed". So that's how I filled out the form.)

5) "For the time I was unemployed I just left the address and contact entries blank, and that caused no difficulties"

So, is it a better idea to opt this? By the way, at what stage is your processing?

6) Any ideas from any other friends who already had similar situations?

Thanks in advance !!! :)
I've passed my test and interview, and am now waiting for my background checks to complete.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
CRA ???? who said that???? its from Canada.ca for ATIP. I myself contacted these guys on this number and email before for ATIP purposes.
You?

Have a look at your post:

Telephone:

The email address in your post is @cra-arc.gc.ca. That phone number also is a CRA phone number (searching for that phone number says it's for the ATIP office at the CRA).

The post you responded to is someone who made a mistake in their citizenship application. Correcting that would be done by the IRCC, not CRA. Moreover, updating (correcting) information someone submitted in an application is handled via regular processes, not through ATIP.

yezdi_in

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
Doc's Request.
04-10-2010
AOR Received.
12-01-2011
Med's Request
18-07-2013
Med's Done....
03-08-2013
Passport Req..
18-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2013
LANDED..........
08-05-2014
It can be argued either way.
I felt it more obvious to leave it blank, as there is nobody they can go talk to to "validate" that claim.

To me it just seems unnecessary to have an address there at all, but if you are going to have one noting that it's your home address seems the clearest approach.

Question 11 is only about what you did, and IRCC offers the categories they have in mind: employed, self-employed, student, homemaker/retired/unemployed. For the last group (homemaker/retired/unemployed) there is nobody they can go talk to (other than you) to validate that your claim is correct, so I would not (and in my application did not) split that period into sections.

(When someone asks you what you did during that time you wouldn't say "I was unemployed at 1234 Street, Town". You'd just say "I was unemployed". So that's how I filled out the form.)

I've passed my test and interview, and am now waiting for my background checks to complete.
Thank you very much for the detailed answers and all the best for fast completion of the process and becoming a Canadian citizen very soon :).

Cheers!!!

lalaland2

Jan 13, 2017
Hi all, Here is my timeline:
Oct 13 application date
Oct 26 AOR
Dec 11 IP

Single applicant in Toronto
I have not heard from CIC since Dec 11, 2017 and no updates in eCAS. Is there an email address that I can reach out to CIC?

remo88

Mar 5, 2013
welcome to the forum! can you please provide details of your timeline - cant find you on the tracker.
app sent date
app received date
IP date ( only can be found on ECAS)

You may be the first of the Dec applicants to get a test invite. Is your application under urgent processing?

I sent my application 1st of December and received AOR ON December 21st and got test invitation on March 1st to write the test on 21st of March. I applied from Toronto. But I have some friends who wrote their test even sooner than me. The thing is that my ECAS is not updated yet!!! So I got test invite but my application is not in process yet! Isnt it weird??

natk

Star Member
Nov 7, 2014
Category........
CEC
I sent my application 1st of December and received AOR ON December 21st and got test invitation on March 1st to write the test on 21st of March. I applied from Toronto. But I have some friends who wrote their test even sooner than me. The thing is that my ECAS is not updated yet!!! So I got test invite but my application is not in process yet! Isnt it weird??
My ECAS also hasn't updated with my test invite. It's been weeks since I got the email and ECAS hasn't updated with that information. I think it's just inconsistent for everyone depending on your processing office, and even then, it is not the same for everyone.

algonquin

May 1, 2013
Visa Office......
ottawa
App. Filed.......
30-04-2013
AOR Received.
20-06-2013
Med's Request
27-01-2014
Med's Done....
11-02-2014