Answer YES , If you resided outside of Canada because either:

• you
  • your Canadian citizen or permanent resident spouse or common law partner
  • permanent resident parent
was employed outside Canada (not as a locally engaged person) in or with:

• the Canadian Armed Forces
  • the federal public administration
  • the public service of a province or territory
Thank you. I am not in any of the three last bullets.

canehh

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
Guys, i missed the required to file column in taxes question, i ticked yes i have filed taxes column for 5 yrs but didnt ticked required to file column, i thought we are required to tick either of the column, is it a big mistake???
They asked you something but you forgot to mention that so sounds like a small mistake but not necessarily they will return your application. Just cross your fingers!

Sohmisaly

Star Member
Oct 7, 2017
Hello,

So I sent in my application with 1470 days presence, however, I forgot to add my flag pole date (exiting Canada ground border and come back at the same time to land for my PR) in the calculator. Is anybody here with the same situation? Any suggestion what we should do now? Any chance I get refused because of this? IRCC call center is so busy that it even doesn't put me in the queue!

Regards,

Ramin
I called agent and was advised that it is not required. You are good.

RanRan

Star Member
Mar 9, 2017
has anyone noticed that the new form doesnt ask for your place/country of birth (contrary to the previous forms). I'm just curious to know why they made this change, despite the fact that its a crucial information and is definitely needed for you to be able to log in to verify the status of your application.
I know that its probably mentioned on peoples passports, but this means that they have to look for it and I don't understand why the have made their own job harder ... (just felt like sharing it with you...)
it does, 13 Have you ever had immigration or citizenship in any country other than Canada, including your country of birth

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Guys, i missed the required to file column in taxes question, i ticked yes i have filed taxes column for 5 yrs but didnt ticked required to file column, i thought we are required to tick either of the column, is it a big mistake???
I dont see why Required to is relevant - if you filed it, its filed - its either OR

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Not a big mistake. Whether or not this fails to pass the completeness check is far from certain. As others suggest, checking "yes-filed" should be sufficient. It definitely will be sufficient (assuming this is what is checked for at least three of the relevant tax years) to meet the requirements.

Place of Birth:

At no point during the assessment of the application has the place of birth any relevance to them. So why should they ask for it? They simply realized they asked for something they never needed, so they dropped it from the form.
I don't think so if its about they needed or not, there are many other question they don't need to ask even then they are asking e.g. nicknames, to me place of birth is more important info then nicknames, so we cant say, cic has some reason asking for any info
No, Nicknames are important. Because they might be on file in some police case. They are screening you and want to know all the names you might be known by.
Verification of identity has always been a huge, huge focus. Obviously place of birth is relevant. The fact the applicant is not required to declare this information does indeed invite curiosity. The answer to why, however, is beyond our view. Given the new-form muddle, oversight could easily explain why. But, it may also be that IRCC has so many ways of verifying this aspect of a client's personal history, it has deliberately left this out. As-is the form is long and IRCC is well familiar with how these things work, the longer the form, the more items to be completed, the more qualified applicants will make incidental mistakes leading to an increased workload.

But ultimately the why does not matter to applicants. IRCC will know this information.

The importance of nicknames and aliases:

The form and help and instructions declare that this information is needed to verify identity. Me thinks IRCC is leveraging its language usage here. The usual, ordinary identity-verification issue is about positively identifying the applicant as the same person who is applying, and that is the same person who obtained PR status, all being the same individual as identified by current forms of identification and IRCC's client number. Sometimes this has required distinguishing the identity of other individuals, such as those with a similar name, especially if the DoB is the same, especially if there is other concurring information about the individuals. This can be important to verify precisely who the applicant is, and to verify that the applicant is NOT this or that other person, such as someone with a criminal record.

This has always been one of the most important elements in immigration procedures generally, and in the grant of citizenship particularly. For obvious reasons.

But this new form at the least hints that IRCC has increasing interest in connecting the applicant to other aspects of the applicant's life. That the need to verify identity goes beyond establishing precisely who the applicant is, but is now also about identifying other contexts or events or transactions in which the applicant has been involved, toward more positively verifying things like job and address history.

The other names used item was, of course, part of previous versions of the citizenship application form, going back to before the first version I examined (nearly a decade ago). Part of the PR application process as well.

The scope of its implications, however, appears to have expanded dramatically. One rather salient example is the extent to which IRCC appears to be doing open source research about some applicants, including looking for information about the applicant in social media and online services like LinkedIn. One Federal Court decision revealed that IRCC not only scrutinized LinkedIn account information based on the applicant's name, but also information based on other names used by the applicant, and also variations of those names, including some names the applicant denied ever using and denied that the respective LinkedIn information was in any way about her. IRCC and the Federal Court agreed the burden was on her to prove she was not that person (and that she failed to meet that burden). But a big part of her problem was that she had clearly not been entirely forthcoming and honest in what information she did provide IRCC (may have been CIC at the time), and there was some overlap of information (prior work history for same employer as the denied name claimed to work for, and the employer information indicated only one such person with a similar name had been employed there -- but it did not otherwise show the LinkedIn identity was necessarily the same person as the applicant).

The take-away from this is that IRCC may use the other name information to conduct research about the individual in a variety of sources.

For the vast majority of qualified applicants, this should not cause any alarm. Actually, for the applicant who has been forthcoming and honest, this could work to the applicant's benefit, since cursory searches should readily identify and verify the applicant's use of names (or not using other names) in other contexts and settings.

Example: Take an individual whose name at birth was "William Jefferson Clinkton:"

birth certificate: William Jefferson Clinkton
baptismal certificate: William J Clinkton
school records: William J. Clinkton
one drivers license: William Jefferson Clinkton
another drivers license: William J. Clinkton
nicknames (including variations of name): Bill Clinkton; Billy Clinkton; William Clinkton (no middle name or initial); Willie Clinkton; perhaps even Jeff Clinkton
one employer's records and employee identification badge: Bill Clinkton
another employer's records and employee identification badge: W. Clinkton
another employer's records and employee identification badge: William J. Clinkton
name used in tax returns: William J. Clinkton (usually) but on some occasions, perhaps for another country, also used William Clinkton and William Jefferson Clinkton
passports and travel documents: William J. Clinkton
telephone accounts (over time): William Clinkton; W. Clinkton; W. J. Clinkton; Bill Clinkton
Facebook account: Bill Clinkton
LinkedIn account: W. J. Clinkton
Twitter: W. Clinkton
Instagram: W. J. Clinton

You get the idea. And this is someone who has never had a legal or marital name change.

If in contrast William Jefferson Clinkton was always known as William Jefferson Clinkton and never used any other name or variation in any of the various contexts I list above, and thus only declares this one name to IRCC, if this individual is someone who IRCC decides to scrutinize in open sources and other government records, it is a safe bet that IRCC will screen for all the variations listed above even though the applicant has not listed them.

And when IRCC draws a blank for all those variations, that will corroborate the applicant's information. That's good.

If, in contrast, IRCC does not draw a blank, but instead finds the applicant has used or been referred to by other names, not so good. Although, not so bad either if the other names are merely a variation of the primary name used for official purposes and the other information associated with the applicant is consistent with the applicant's information in the application. But NOT good if IRCC finds other names and information which conflicts with what the applicant has reported (this typically tends to be career or employment information) . . . of course IRCC should and I believe will be careful about being sure to identify information that is very likely associated with the applicant. There is lots and lots of information one will find with similar name searching which will not be about the applicant, but those results are almost always easily distinguished from the individual being researched.

Most of the cases in which I have seen LinkedIn loom as a problem source of information, it is because IRCC identifies the LinkedIn information is probably about the client and, typically, it makes some reference to experience working abroad which was not disclosed in the application. Oops.

But for those who have used multiple versions of their name, and who have properly, as in completely and accurately provided IRCC with their work and address history, such collateral research should quickly and simply corroborate the applicant, in effect reinforcing the applicant's information and giving the total-stranger-bureaucrat assessing the application greater comfort about the veracity of the applicant's information.

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
Guys, i have a simple question:
On section 14.a of the form, if there is no gap, did you write “N/A” before Table B after printing the form or you left it blank?

Thank you

light88

Star Member
Jul 14, 2014
I'm calculating my time in Canada for citizenship application

I had work permit status from 2012-02-13 to 2013-03-31
I made a refugee claim on 2013-01-28 which is 2 months before my work permit expired

So my question is: do I count my work permit status to expiry date which is 03-31 or only till the date I made refugue claim 01-28

This 2 month period is the deciding factor whether I'm eligible now or not.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

woodworker

Aug 17, 2012
Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/Jan/2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
29/Feb/2012
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
Med's Request
Med's Done....
26.12.2013....3rd line 17/1/2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
15/Jan/2014 PPR1 & PPR2 24/Jan/2014. Decision made on 27.Jan.2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/Jan/2014....recieved 30/Jan/2014
LANDED..........
13th june 2014
Hi.
Eligibility period would be from the landing date till present?
Can you help with q 13. Date obtained/effective date. Are we supposed to write out date of birth?
Thank you for your help.

threestar

Oct 11, 2017
Even in latest application .... I see a question asking in the last 4 years were you in another country other than Canada for a total of 183 days or more?

Is this an application to apply under 3/5 rule ? Also is it mandatory to provide police clearance as before me coming on Pr here I was outside Canada . Can we give an explanation of why I can't provide it again now as I've already provided while filing for Pr. If it's mandatory can I go to local embassy in Canada and request for my police certificate ?

coolboys

Apr 5, 2014
Hi,

Can anyone tell me that I have to write USA trip in Q10 (a) or not. And also I have to write singe day trip or no.

The new form is so much confusing , old one was better any easy, Even Q11 Still I am confusing to write. I should write my home address or work address. Please friends help me.

Thank you

Kinnu1982

Oct 14, 2017
Hi Spotify,
In the new citizenship forms in question no 10(b)
We’re you in another country ( other than Canada) for a total of 183 days or more? If yes please submit a police certificate from the country?
I immigrated to Canada in the year 2014 April, which is less than 4 years so before that I was in India and I submitted my police clearance certificate during my or application process which dates August 2013 so from August 2013 to April 2014 I was in India before immigrating here, which is a total of 8 months between the submitted police clearance certificate and my landing here in Canada, so should I still submit a police clearance now in this case or can I go ahead and submit my application showing the old police clearance certificate which I submitted before I immigrated, please clarify.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi Spotify,
In the new citizenship forms in question no 10(b)
We’re you in another country ( other than Canada) for a total of 183 days or more? If yes please submit a police certificate from the country?
I immigrated to Canada in the year 2014 April, which is less than 4 years so before that I was in India and I submitted my police clearance certificate during my or application process which dates August 2013 so from August 2013 to April 2014 I was in India before immigrating here, which is a total of 8 months between the submitted police clearance certificate and my landing here in Canada, so should I still submit a police clearance now in this case or can I go ahead and submit my application showing the old police clearance certificate which I submitted before I immigrated, please clarify.
Yes you have to submit a police certificate. No, you can't use the old one. It doesn't cover the period that is relevant. It is too old.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi,

Can anyone tell me that I have to write USA trip in Q10 (a) or not. And also I have to write singe day trip or no.

The new form is so much confusing , old one was better any easy, Even Q11 Still I am confusing to write. I should write my home address or work address. Please friends help me.

Thank you
All your questions have been answered before, keep in mind the search function of this forum.

Anyways: No, 10a is for your actual address of residence, not for vacation addresses. Your residence was still in Canada even when you went on a short trip to the US. Note: In the physical presence calculator enter ALL absences, no matter how short.

11 The physical address of your job. If you live in Mississauga but drive to Toronto to work, then the Toronto address of your office/workplace.

ericsongu

Aug 24, 2017
I have a question, Under the law C-6, the absence days because of work with a Canadian Company are discount or count, for example I work for a Canadian company but I have to travel outside Canada and I have spent 75 days outside because my work, Should I discount these days or not?