+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Applications after Bill C-6

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
My question is, if my name is David Jackson Davidson and on some documents it is David J. Davidson , under which categrory will that fall?
Yeah, neither alias (which generally evokes negative connotations) nor nickname seem just right.

My guess is that the label applied does not matter so long as it fairly points to the way in which the name was used.

That is, my sense is that either alias or nickname is OK, that the drop down list is mostly to distinguish particular categories of name variation and name changes. Alias and nicknames being categories of informal name usage, in contrast to more formal name changes related to specific circumstances (marital name for example versus "maiden" name). I doubt there is any substantive import to the label, particularly in context (listing David J. Davidson as an alias should be obviously seen as a casual variation of the proper name and not evoke any negative insinuation that it was used as a false name or to conceal one's identity).

Otherwise, this is one of those items for which there may be a temptation to overthink things. But the way IRCC has composed this form, it is inviting if not demanding a lot of overthinking.

In particular, the restricted list of choices seems, to me, to be one more aspect in which the details of this form create a muddle. An "also known as" option, which embraces variations of name, would make more sense than "alias," particularly since "alias," in addition to the negative connotations, is often understood to mean a name which is different enough from one's proper name as to, in effect, be false, typically used to conceal one's proper name or even identity.

Prior forms allowed the PR applicant and citizenship applicant to describe or explain in his or her own words, and I listed a few which I described as "abbreviated forms of my proper name" or "variation of my proper name."

It is possible that IRCC does not really want these variations, but in terms of actual usage, particularly in the way such variations are typically used, including in particular names used with employers and vendors like names on telephone or utility accounts, such variations would seem more important than nicknames. Perhaps variations (such as with or without a middle name, or an initial in lieu of a middle name) could be considered the same name by IRCC. But many people use an abbreviated form of their name for a telephone account, for example, and CIC/IRCC are known to use Canada411 to check the telephone numbers that applicants report in forms, so if they are looking for consistency, declaring the abbreviated name as one used will match the information derived from Canada411, and thus should assist IRCC's efforts to corroborate information provided by the applicant (which to my view is a big part of why IRCC wants all names used including nicknames).

For many years I was a licensed professional in a particular jurisdiction, and I do not recall why or how, but the name I was licensed under had no middle name or initial. Obviously, when I applied for my PR visa, that career history was significant, and it seemed obvious that I should give that variation of my name as one of the other names I used, at the least so the information I provided would be consistent with what CIC might otherwise discover in checking records. (It warrants noting that even a cursory internet search will show numerous similarly named individuals in the same profession even though I do not have a name that is all that common.)

An "aka" or "also known as" option would make sense. Some sources refer to these, aka and also known as, in stating the meaning of alias, or even "otherwise named" as a definition of alias. Alias in that sense would apply to variations of one's proper name including initials and dropped middle names. But many sources and dictionaries I am familiar with tend to emphasize the usage of "alias" in the sense of a false name, one typically used by criminals.

Among the many problems with the form, my guess is that item 6 is not a high priority, that substantial disclosure will readily suffice.

Niko Neman

Oct 15, 2017
Hi guys, can anybody help me to clarify my situation, I have a PR status since November 2013, so am i eligible to apply for citizenship, since i lived in Canada 1095 days?
But the thing is that on CIC indicated: "Only the five (5) years immediately before the date of your application are considered for calculating the physical presence requirement." Is that mean that i have to wait until November 2018 to apply for citizenship?

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hi guys, can anybody help me to clarify my situation, I have a PR status since November 2013, so am i eligible to apply for citizenship, since i lived in Canada 1095 days?
But the thing is that on CIC indicated: "Only the five (5) years immediately before the date of your application are considered for calculating the physical presence requirement." Is that mean that i have to wait until November 2018 to apply for citizenship?
You don't have to wait till Nov 2018 to apply. If you stayed in Canada for 1095 days after becoming a PR, OR if you stayed 730 days (2 years) + another 730 days pre-PR in the last 5 years then you can apply now.

SimK

Star Member
Jul 23, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
1211, 6314
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014
Doc's Request.
none
AOR Received.
25-06-2014
IELTS Request
Celpip sent with application
File Transfer...
25-06-2014
Med's Request
18-06-2015
Med's Done....
19-06-2015
Passport Req..
02-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-07-2015
LANDED..........
07-14-2015
Hi guys! Is it mandatory to send confirmation of permanent residence or a copy of PR card front and back would just be fine?
In the instruction guide dated october 11 it was mentioned any one of the immigration document but i dont see it now. I already sent my application with just the pr card copy but concerned if they would return it back since copr is mentioned on their checklist.
Any feedbacks??
Anyone???

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Anyone???
where do you see COPR mentioned on the checklist ? New checklist dated 2017/10, makes no mention of it. It asks for a photocopy of personal identification, for which PR card will suffice. Also, we sent photocopy of bio pages from passport which serve as additional identification.

Niko Neman

Oct 15, 2017
You don't have to wait till Nov 2018 to apply. If you stayed in Canada for 1095 days after becoming a PR, OR if you stayed 730 days (2 years) + another 730 days pre-PR in the last 5 years then you can apply now
But Physical Presence Calculator (printout of which i have to submit) automatically indicates my so called "eligibility period" starting from November 2012, but i have never been in Canada before November 2013.

CuriousGuy

Star Member
Apr 5, 2013
But Physical Presence Calculator (printout of which i have to submit) automatically indicates my so called "eligibility period" starting from November 2012, but i have never been in Canada before November 2013.
November 2012 is the start of the relevant period and not the mandatory period. What that means is that any day before November 2012 does not matter as far as your application’s eligibility determination is concerned.

You are eligible if you lived in Canada for at least 1095 days since November 2012. Post-PR days count as full days towards eligibility and pre-PR days count as half. The best way to know if you’re eligible is to fill in the residence calculator. If the calculator says that you’re eligible then that’s all you need to know.

Reactions: Niko Neman

threestar

Oct 11, 2017
Hi guys! Is it mandatory to send confirmation of permanent residence or a copy of PR card front and back would just be fine?
In the instruction guide dated october 11 it was mentioned any one of the immigration document but i dont see it now. I already sent my application with just the pr card copy but concerned if they would return it back since copr is mentioned on their checklist.
Any feedbacks??
I remember my friends wife application got returned last year as they did not send copr while sending application. I'm not sure if rules changed now but if it's mentioned on check list then it need to be send

zab7

Apr 24, 2017
Hi,

if i give home address of London ON, and mailing address of Brampton ON, then what will be my visa office, London ON or Brampton ON?

Thanks

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
Any feedbacks??

The guide on the website indicates you include copr with application.
Although it contradicts the checklist, I still followed the detailed instructions.

Glen04

Oct 15, 2017
Hello,

I just have this question, question number 9c in the application form asked if I live outside of Canada during my eligibility period. I did live in the US for 301 days in 2012-2013 to work for a private company, so I checked the box saying yes. It then asked me to complete and submit the Residence Outside of Canada form. However, when I opened the form, it only relates for those who worked for the Candian Armed Forces, federal public administration and public service which do not apply to me. Do I need to fill up this form? I said yes in the 9c question and it says I need to complete the residence outside of Canada form? Please help. Thanks a lot!

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi I paid for my wife s application but I used my credit card ,but on the receipt I haven't seen my wife name ? how do they know that receipt belongs to our application
The focus is not on the name but the barcode. When they process they will scan the barcode to relate that payment to her particular application. Nothing to worry about.

light88

Star Member
Jul 14, 2014
Can I count my temporary worker status time until expiry date even if I made a refugee claim 2 months before expiry?