AOR Received.
16-02-2016
Passport Req..
03-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-06-2016
LANDED..........
14-06-2016
Visitors/tourist time cannot be counted, only time on a study permit or a work permit and it is believed only any time in the 5 years preceeding the application date.

* Could you please provide the evidence from any govt site?
Here is the original bill says as ..............

"Applicants may count each day they were physically present in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person before becoming a permanent resident as a half-day toward meeting the physical presence requirement for citizenship, up to a maximum credit of 365 days."

There is no such a word as "student or worker" and visitor visa also a Temporary Resident Visa.
I personally spoke to an immigration officer through IRCC call center, she said " No matter if you are in visitor, student or worker will be consider as TRV" after a long hold over the phone and she confirmed with her senior officials.

Reactions: Oboy

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Visitors/tourist time cannot be counted, only time on a study permit or a work permit and it is believed only any time in the 5 years preceeding the application date.

"Applicants may count each day they were physically present in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person before becoming a permanent resident as a half-day toward meeting the physical presence requirement for citizenship, up to a maximum credit of 365 days."

There is no such a word as "student or worker" and visitor visa also a Temporary Resident Visa.
I personally spoke to an immigration officer through IRCC call center, she said " No matter if you are in visitor, student or worker will be consider as TRV" after a long hold over the phone and she confirmed with her senior officials.
Still seems strange that a tourist/visitor who pays no taxes, has no SIN , no health card, basically no contribution to the country other than foreign exchange can claim any time in the country towards citizenship.

Then again how many tourists/vistors will be able to spend even close to 2 years in the country in the 5 years before an application date (years 1-3 before PR) to get much out of such a benefit to get the full year credit. Maybe people on super visas or some sort of accompanying worker/study permit holders or people in some sort of implied status, but normal tourists ?

It would be a radical change if true and maybe not that popular to tax payers who have done their time and made their contribution towards citizenship, and I include students/work permit holders who all pay taxes..

Until we all see this in writing on the IRCC site and despite the generalisation in the bill it is all speculation especially given IRCC call center employees have a reputation for giving wrong information.

Last edited:

metal

Star Member
Jul 31, 2015
Riyadh
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
24-04-2017
Hi Guys! I would appreciate if any one can share some information on this. In order to get the Citizenship as per the new law 3 years out of 5 years, is the Primary Applicant on PR only responsible to fulfill this requirement or all the family members above 18 years need to fulfil this requirment?

Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi Guys! I would appreciate if any one can share some information on this. In order to get the Citizenship as per the new law 3 years out of 5 years, is the Primary Applicant on PR only responsible to fulfill this requirement or all the family members above 18 years need to fulfil this requirment?

Thanks
Qualifying for citizenship like maintaining PR residency obligation is an individuals requirement to meet not a family requirement

lcortez

Star Member
Oct 1, 2013
Hello all, I arrived in Canada on September 2009 with a Temporary Worker visa; I got my PR on March 2015 applying though the CEC program; I passed my IELTS exam on December 2013. My plan is to apply for Citizenship after Bill C-6 is approved but I wonder if my IELTS test is still valid. I found this information http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language-step-2.asp but I don't understand if this applies to me. Like I said above, I got my PR though the CEC but does that means that I immigrate to Canada through this program?
Thank you for your help!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello all, I arrived in Canada on September 2009 with a Temporary Worker visa; I got my PR on March 2015 applying though the CEC program; I passed my IELTS exam on December 2013. My plan is to apply for Citizenship after Bill C-6 is approved but I wonder if my IELTS test is still valid. I found this information http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language-step-2.asp but I don't understand if this applies to me. Like I said above, I got my PR though the CEC but does that means that I immigrate to Canada through this program?
Thank you for your help!
1. For citizenship (under the present act) IELTs doesn't expire, you have to assume it will be the same under C6

Ontarian2017

Star Member
Jun 20, 2017
Thank you for your help!
Skilled workers are defined by Citizenship and Immigration Canada as people selected based on their education, work experience, knowledge of English and/or French, and other criteria that have been shown to help them become economically established in Canada. ... For details see Federal Skilled Worker Class.
I believe you may use your old IELTS test which you used during application time. Hope this will help!

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
Thank you for your help!
Yes, you can use your expired IELTS (general exam) but you have to provide a copy of it (better to be colored)....

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013

I can't recall where this is, but a lot of us are 100% sure that "temporary resident" means a temporary worker, student permit holder, protected person and (I think) temporary visa holder who has a Canadian spouses who have been residing in Canada (which means they would have been paying taxes; rent.. and a Canadian address) while waiting for PR.

Let's reason this out: can a visitor apply for permanent residence? The answer is certainly NO. So, why would CIC allow anyone to count Pre PR days as a visitor to become citizen? ;)

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
why would CIC allow anyone to count Pre PR days as a visitor to become citizen?
Because, when it takes effect, the law, that is the statutory provision which prescribes credit for time in Canada prior to becoming a PR (but still within five years of the date of application of course), specifies credit for any kind of "temporary resident" and that includes persons in Canada pursuant to visitor status. In addition to covering those present in Canada pursuant to protected or refugee status, there are three types of "temporary resident" status in IRPA:
-- visitor
-- student
-- worker

I have previously (multiple times actually) cited and linked the precise provisions in IRPA which prescribe this.

Not complicated. That is what the law prescribes. So that is why IRCC will give credit toward citizenship presence for those in Canada prior to landing even if they are in Canada as visitors.

That said:

The logistical and evidentiary part of the equation, in proving time in Canada (which it is the applicant's burden to do), is a different and in more than a few respects more complicated, perhaps difficult element. For spouses of settled-in-Canada Canadians being sponsored for PR, residing with their sponsoring spouse prior to actually obtaining PR status, it is both easier to prove the time, and typically more readily recognized by processing agents as time in Canada. At the other end of the spectrum, a casual visitor, someone more or less passing through, someone who might pick up a month or three months of days perhaps, would be far better off just doing the calculation based on time in Canada after becoming a PR. The latter is due to the evidentiary weakness and likely questioning of that time, not because it does not count, but because relying on it is likely to trigger RQ and a much longer and far more inconvenient process.

Danielari2016

Star Member
Jan 25, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
16-02-2016
AOR Received.
16-02-2016
Passport Req..
03-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-06-2016
LANDED..........
14-06-2016
Still seems strange that a tourist/visitor who pays no taxes, has no SIN , no health card, basically no contribution to the country other than foreign exchange can claim any time in the country towards citizenship.

Then again how many tourists/vistors will be able to spend even close to 2 years in the country in the 5 years before an application date (years 1-3 before PR) to get much out of such a benefit to get the full year credit. Maybe people on super visas or some sort of accompanying worker/study permit holders or people in some sort of implied status, but normal tourists ?

It would be a radical change if true and maybe not that popular to tax payers who have done their time and made their contribution towards citizenship, and I include students/work permit holders who all pay taxes..

Until we all see this in writing on the IRCC site and despite the generalisation in the bill it is all speculation especially given IRCC call center employees have a reputation for giving wrong information.
The information was given and confirmed by an immigration officer, not a call center person. Call center agent connected my call to an immigration officer.

Danielari2016

Star Member
Jan 25, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
16-02-2016
AOR Received.
16-02-2016
Passport Req..
03-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-06-2016
LANDED..........
14-06-2016
I can't recall where this is, but a lot of us are 100% sure that "temporary resident" means a temporary worker, student permit holder, protected person and (I think) temporary visa holder who has a Canadian spouses who have been residing in Canada (which means they would have been paying taxes; rent.. and a Canadian address) while waiting for PR.

Let's reason this out: can a visitor apply for permanent residence? The answer is certainly NO. So, why would CIC allow anyone to count Pre PR days as a visitor to become citizen? ;)
who told you NO, i have applied my PR while i was a visitor under EE.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015

Visitors can apply for Permanent Residence. So the answer to your question is most certainly NOT no.

It is also irrelevant what you (or anyone else) finds appropriate/thinks is reasonable/should be done. The wording of bill C-6 does not exclude visitors.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Also, just to give one of many examples in the IRPA that dpenabill was referring to:

Section 29 (1) of the IRPA says:
29 (1) A temporary resident is, subject to the other provisions of this Act, authorized to enter and remain in Canada on a temporary basis as a visitor or as a holder of a temporary resident permit.

This, to the very least, shows that a visitor can be a temporary resident.

HeroMember

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
Hello guys,

Does anybody know that we can submit the police certificate from back home after we send the citizenship application or do we have to send it along with the application? Can we send it 3 or 4 months after we send the application?