+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Applications after Bill C-6

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Hello guys,

Does anybody know that we can submit the police certificate from back home after we send the citizenship application or do we have to send it along with the application? Can we send it 3 or 4 months after we send the application?
Of course you can, but it will be retuned to you for incompleteness .... CIC made it pretty clear on its website : you need to mail the "fully completed" package - and police certificate is required if it applies to you - so what makes you think you can send everything else first and the certificate 4 months later ?

Reactions: Oboy and HeroMember

HeroMember

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
Of course you can, but it will be retuned to you for incompleteness .... CIC made it pretty clear on its website : you need to mail the "fully completed" package - and police certificate is required if it applies to you - so what makes you think you can send everything else first and the certificate 4 months later ?
Hello Itsmyid,

Thanks for your answer. Actually when I applied for my permanent residence application through canadian experience class, I was able to send my application first and then later I sent my police certificate from back home. They allowed to do so for the permanent residence application, so I thought I might be able to do the same for the citizenship application.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Hello Itsmyid,

Thanks for your answer. Actually when I applied for my permanent residence application through canadian experience class, I was able to send my application first and then later I sent my police certificate from back home. They allowed to do so for the permanent residence application, so I thought I might be able to do the same for the citizenship application.
PR application and citizenship application are different, and for PR it is explicitly written in the official checklist file that you are "strongly encouraged" to include police certificate with your application but if you can't you may submit it later - but for citizenship application it is not an option , at least for now . The safest way is just to follow whatever the CIC official documents state explicitly, don't make any assumptions like "if it's ok with PR application then it may be ok with citizenship application too"

Last edited:
Reactions: Oboy

tonyfreemania

Nov 17, 2016
Folks,

Just trying to clarify something here. There seems to be some misinformation here, or at least I think so. As I understand, you don't need police certificates to apply for citizenship. Only "if requested". I recall hearing that from the CIC on a call I made. Further, nowhere on the application does it say that you need them. On the "gather documents" section of the guide, it says the same. Does anyone have any guidance that contradicts this?

elie72

Sep 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 Aug 2007
Doc's Request.
17 Aug 2009
AOR Received.
13 Aug 2007
Med's Request
March 2011
Med's Done....
08 April 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21 September 2011
VISA ISSUED...
05 October 2011
LANDED..........
23 December 2011
On the Application, Page 5 Section M, it is written you Must provide a PC for any country you lived for more than 183 days.

tonyfreemania

Nov 17, 2016
Folks,

Just trying to clarify something here. There seems to be some misinformation here, or at least I think so. As I understand, you don't need police certificates to apply for citizenship. Only "if requested". I recall hearing that from the CIC on a call I made. Further, nowhere on the application does it say that you need them. On the "gather documents" section of the guide, it says the same. Does anyone have any guidance that contradicts this?
Actually I forgot to add that my understanding is that you only need police certificates if you have been in a different country for more than 183 days in any year preceeding the 4 years before your application date

tonyfreemania

Nov 17, 2016
On the Application, Page 5 Section M, it is written you Must provide a PC for any country you lived for more than 183 days.
Here is what the application says:

In the past four (4) years, have you lived in a country other than Canada for more 183 days?

That would mean that if you have been within Canada all long (less than the 183 days), you do not need them. Right?

smilermail

Star Member
Mar 11, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is what the application says:

In the past four (4) years, have you lived in a country other than Canada for more 183 days?

That would mean that if you have been within Canada all long (less than the 183 days), you do not need them. Right?
Will the 4 years period apply for the new bill C-6?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Will the 4 years period apply for the new bill C-6?
In the past, CIC has NOT changed the police certificate year count (4 years) with the physical presence requirement.

Formerly, one needed to be in Canada for 3 out of 4 years, police certificates for the last 4 years. Then it was changed to 4 out of 6 years, but police certificates for the last 4 years.

Now it will most likely change to 3 out of 5 years and police certificates for the last 4 years.

In other words: It is a coincidence that at the moment the two numbers are the same (number of years required and PC years)

RanRan

Star Member
Mar 9, 2017
Do you mean "any country..... in the past 4 years"
I didn't leave Canada since 2012 except for one week vacation in Panama, I assume that I don't need any police check to apply for citizenship.

sammy_engineer

Aug 11, 2017
In the past, CIC has NOT changed the police certificate year count (4 years) with the physical presence requirement.

Formerly, one needed to be in Canada for 3 out of 4 years, police certificates for the last 4 years. Then it was changed to 4 out of 6 years, but police certificates for the last 4 years.

Now it will most likely change to 3 out of 5 years and police certificates for the last 4 years.

In other words: It is a coincidence that at the moment the two numbers are the same (number of years required and PC years)
Thanks dear spyfy for your detailed responses ، for me i intend to hopfully apply for citezenship after 4 years ' because i' currently still in my country .

Would it be possible to get a police certificate from my home country before i permanantly move to canada ? Or it should be a new one at the time of application for citezenship.?

Thanks you for your reply

kg_bang

May 6, 2011
Regina
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31-05-2011
Doc's Request.
submitted with application
AOR Received.
1st AOR on 28-07-2011, 2nd AOR 23-08-2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
22-08-2011
Med's Request
13-12-11
Med's Done....
26-12-11
Interview........
waived.........
Passport Req..
13-12-11
VISA ISSUED...
3/2/12
LANDED..........
21st June, 2012
Hi fellow to be Canadian citizens!

Application for Citizenship received on June 16, 2017
AOR July 20, 2017
In Process August 10, 2017
Applied from Regina, Sk.

Does anyone know what's the timeline for Regina applicants?

My concern is I will be going to Toronto in September for 2 months to do some course and will be back by mid of November. Is there any possibility to get test date in this time frame? And if so, can i request CIC in advance not to schedule my test during this period?

TIA!

Kg

smilermail

Star Member
Mar 11, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

thanks spyfy :)