+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Applications after Bill C-6

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
My sister and her husband got their citizenship last year, and they did not have that experience, and her husband travels a lot.
I have travel to countries that do not stamp in your passport, like Israel and Cuba, so this is why I know stamps in passport doesn't carry any weight now. There is no indication in my passport that I visited these 2 countries. Actually, I just return to Canada 2 weeks ago, and all the agent at the airport in Saskatoon do, was scan my PR card, and welcomed me back to Canada, he did not stamp in my passport, some agent stamp, some don't.
Australia does not stamp passports either, and so does Hong Kong. The US CBP does not stamp my passport half the times I go to the US. Stamps are really a very poor proxy for trips.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Do we need to include the periods when we were temporary residents? If we are already eligible without those years included.
Include what where?

Foremost: FOLLOW the INSTRUCTIONS!

Most items in the application (but not all) refer to information during the eligibility period. The eligibility period is the full five years prior to the date the application is made. Any information requested for the eligibility period needs to be submitted. Applicants do not have the election to exclude some information based on their personal judgment that they are otherwise submitting sufficient information to show they qualify for the grant of citizenship.

If the application form asks for the information, submit it.

Thus, for example, the applicant must provide address, work, and travel history for the full five years.

Back to the "include what where?" question: I am guessing you are asking about item 9.b. in particular. The primary question in 9.b is straight-forward, it asks the applicant to answer [no] or [yes] to the following question:
"During your eligibility period did you have Temporary Resident or Protected Person status in Canada before becoming a permanent resident?"

While the instructions in the "help" are not entirely clear about this, there is nothing in the question which suggests it is optional (similar to item 9.c), since the only choices are [no] or [yes]. This is a fact question. Not an election. If the truthful answer is "yes" then the proper way to respond is, obviously, to check [yes] and to then follow the instructions.

While the obvious main purpose of providing the information requested in item 9.b is to document entitlement to credit toward the presence requirement, REMEMBER, IRCC can and often does use the information requested for other purposes as well. Thus, just because you do not "need" the Temporary Resident time to qualify for citizenship, IRCC asks for this information and can use this information for other purposes, even if only to further verify the applicant's identity or to assess the applicant's credibility.

TRANSLATION REQUIREMENTS: The general rule is to provide a translation.

To be clear, when submitting documents to IRCC in almost every context there are only RARE EXCEPTIONS to the requirement to present a proper translation of ANY information which is not in one of the official languages.

Obviously, this applies to information in documents actually submitted or presented to IRCC.

Anecdotal reports and conclusions based on personal experience too often confuse the absence of enforcement for what the rules or requirements are. Just because a hundred or even a thousand cars go down the highway fifteen to twenty km/hour faster than the posted speed limit without being stopped and issued a ticket does not mean the speed limit is actually 20 km/hour higher than that posted. This very much applies in the context of the almost universal requirement to submit a translation for any non-official language information in a document submitted or presented to IRCC.

Generally IRCC does NOT impose its instructions in a draconian, overly-severe way. IRCC will allow a great deal to slide by so long as IRCC is comfortable with the information submitted. Scores and scores of applicants fail to provide a proper translation for some non-official language information in a document submitted or presented to IRCC and do not encounter a request to provide a translation. I took my chances, for example, and went to my interview without a translation of non-official language information in two older stamps in my passport. I was aware that the instructions specifically said to have a translation, and those instructions encompass such passport stamps. But in context there was no doubt that the stamps were merely and obviously a record of temporary entry into the respective country years prior to my eligibility period. I felt comfortable taking my chances.

But the rule is otherwise. In particular, the following post, quoting "It is a requirement, to bring translated stamps on the test/interview day," is the INCORRECT information.

Please stop spreading incorrect information
If there is any information in the passport which is not in one of the official languages, YES, the requirement is to present a proper translation.

Thus, similarly, the following is wrong or at least misleading:

I don't see anything mentioning the stamps on the passport. I personally find that an overkill.
It is true there is no specific mention of providing a translation for stamps in a passport. Rather, the instruction guide states that the applicant MUST submit a proper translation "FOR ANY DOCUMENT THAT IS NOT IN ENGLISH OR FRENCH." And, again, this is the general requirement for any documents sent, submitted, or presented to IRCC.

Over the years, many forum participants have reported that they were specifically instructed, during their interview, to obtain and submit translations for passport stamps, resulting in some delay in processing (and those who were scheduled for the oath contemporaneously with the interview, that is to follow the interview the same day or within a day or two, thus had their scheduled oath postponed -- this is the risk I took, as I was scheduled for the oath and interview together, the oath to follow the day after the next).

Note: whether or not a translation for the biographical pages of passports should be submitted with the application, obviously depends on whether there is information on THOSE pages which is not in one of the official languages . . . recognizing that even if there is, depending on the particular passport some applicants may be willing to take their chances without a translation. As noted, the biographical pages of most passports are readily read without needing a translation. But the rule, nonetheless, is to provide a proper translation.

Yup..I agree. I'm a May applicant (already a citizen now) and have read hundreds of posts so far since then coz my family's citizenship is in process still- I'm only telling you other people's experiences. Some people have required stamp translations while some lucky ones didn't. Ones who required it had a bit of a process delay. If I had some stamps needing translated, I would just go for it just to be on the safe side. It's completely on you of course how you want to it. Good Luck!
It is NOT that "some" people have been required to provide stamp translations. All applicants are instructed to provide proper translations for any non-official language information. Rather, it is some applicants have not encountered enforcement of the requirement. Again, me included.

Again, instances of lax enforcement should not be confused with what the actual rule is.

I know stamps in passport doesn't carry any weight now.
This is another outright incorrect statement.

To be clear: applicants still need to bring and present ALL possibly relevant passports to the interview, and with perhaps few exceptions, the processing agent (interviewer) will in fact at least glance through most if not all passport pages, at the least cursorily examining passport stamps. And many if not most times, the interviewer will overtly examine many or most passport stamps. This is not an exercise in curiosity or idle frolicking to pass the time. This involves a real examination of the stamps.

The weight of this information is amply illustrated by what happens if the applicant fails to bring a passport covering some period of time relevant to the application. The applicant's currently valid passport is NOT sufficient if the applicant had any additional passports which could POSSIBLY have been used. The failure to bring the latter will delay processing. The failure to produce it altogether can be problematic, even if the reason is entirely innocent.

The fact that for the majority of applicants the passport stamps do not trigger any concerns does not diminish the reality that this information can still carry a lot of weight, and in particular, presenting this information to IRCC at the interview is definitely required.

honey2vvandana

Mar 15, 2012
Hello experts

Need your guidance on question 14 about travel documents -

I am currently a PR holder, i had Canadian work permit before becoming PR.. My eligibility period is Jan 2013 to Jan 2018.. PR date is Jan 2015
i can give details for my old passport and new passport, US Visa...

Do i need to give details about Canadian Work Visa, Work Permit or/and Canadian PR card and/or COPR ?

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance!

Ashwani95

Jun 12, 2017
Hello experts

Need your guidance on question 14 about travel documents -

I am currently a PR holder, i had Canadian work permit before becoming PR.. My eligibility period is Jan 2013 to Jan 2018.. PR date is Jan 2015
i can give details for my old passport and new passport, US Visa...

Do i need to give details about Canadian Work Visa, Work Permit or/and Canadian PR card and/or COPR ?

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance!
I believe, you need to provide all the information if they are falling under eligibility period. I did provide my home country job details as well since it was coming under my eligibility period.

Regards,

Last edited:

Prime A

Oct 18, 2017
Include what where?

Foremost: FOLLOW the INSTRUCTIONS!

Most items in the application (but not all) refer to information during the eligibility period. The eligibility period is the full five years prior to the date the application is made. Any information requested for the eligibility period needs to be submitted. Applicants do not have the election to exclude some information based on their personal judgment that they are otherwise submitting sufficient information to show they qualify for the grant of citizenship.

If the application form asks for the information, submit it.

Thus, for example, the applicant must provide address, work, and travel history for the full five years.

Back to the "include what where?" question: I am guessing you are asking about item 9.b. in particular. The primary question in 9.b is straight-forward, it asks the applicant to answer [no] or [yes] to the following question:
"During your eligibility period did you have Temporary Resident or Protected Person status in Canada before becoming a permanent resident?"

While the instructions in the "help" are not entirely clear about this, there is nothing in the question which suggests it is optional (similar to item 9.c), since the only choices are [no] or [yes]. This is a fact question. Not an election. If the truthful answer is "yes" then the proper way to respond is, obviously, to check [yes] and to then follow the instructions.

While the obvious main purpose of providing the information requested in item 9.b is to document entitlement to credit toward the presence requirement, REMEMBER, IRCC can and often does use the information requested for other purposes as well. Thus, just because you do not "need" the Temporary Resident time to qualify for citizenship, IRCC asks for this information and can use this information for other purposes, even if only to further verify the applicant's identity or to assess the applicant's credibility.

As has been mentioned in previous replies, there are many countries that no longer stamp in travellers passports. Hong Kong, Australia, Israel, Cubaj

TRANSLATION REQUIREMENTS: The general rule is to provide a translation.

To be clear, when submitting documents to IRCC in almost every context there are only RARE EXCEPTIONS to the requirement to present a proper translation of ANY information which is not in one of the official languages.

Obviously, this applies to information in documents actually submitted or presented to IRCC.

Anecdotal reports and conclusions based on personal experience too often confuse the absence of enforcement for what the rules or requirements are. Just because a hundred or even a thousand cars go down the highway fifteen to twenty km/hour faster than the posted speed limit without being stopped and issued a ticket does not mean the speed limit is actually 20 km/hour higher than that posted. This very much applies in the context of the almost universal requirement to submit a translation for any non-official language information in a document submitted or presented to IRCC.

Generally IRCC does NOT impose its instructions in a draconian, overly-severe way. IRCC will allow a great deal to slide by so long as IRCC is comfortable with the information submitted. Scores and scores of applicants fail to provide a proper translation for some non-official language information in a document submitted or presented to IRCC and do not encounter a request to provide a translation. I took my chances, for example, and went to my interview without a translation of non-official language information in two older stamps in my passport. I was aware that the instructions specifically said to have a translation, and those instructions encompass such passport stamps. But in context there was no doubt that the stamps were merely and obviously a record of temporary entry into the respective country years prior to my eligibility period. I felt comfortable taking my chances.

But the rule is otherwise. In particular, the following post, quoting "It is a requirement, to bring translated stamps on the test/interview day," is the INCORRECT information.

If there is any information in the passport which is not in one of the official languages, YES, the requirement is to present a proper translation.

Thus, similarly, the following is wrong or at least misleading:

It is true there is no specific mention of providing a translation for stamps in a passport. Rather, the instruction guide states that the applicant MUST submit a proper translation "FOR ANY DOCUMENT THAT IS NOT IN ENGLISH OR FRENCH." And, again, this is the general requirement for any documents sent, submitted, or presented to IRCC.

Over the years, many forum participants have reported that they were specifically instructed, during their interview, to obtain and submit translations for passport stamps, resulting in some delay in processing (and those who were scheduled for the oath contemporaneously with the interview, that is to follow the interview the same day or within a day or two, thus had their scheduled oath postponed -- this is the risk I took, as I was scheduled for the oath and interview together, the oath to follow the day after the next).

Note: whether or not a translation for the biographical pages of passports should be submitted with the application, obviously depends on whether there is information on THOSE pages which is not in one of the official languages . . . recognizing that even if there is, depending on the particular passport some applicants may be willing to take their chances without a translation. As noted, the biographical pages of most passports are readily read without needing a translation. But the rule, nonetheless, is to provide a proper translation.

It is NOT that "some" people have been required to provide stamp translations. All applicants are instructed to provide proper translations for any non-official language information. Rather, it is some applicants have not encountered enforcement of the requirement. Again, me included.

Again, instances of lax enforcement should not be confused with what the actual rule is.

This is another outright incorrect statement.

To be clear: applicants still need to bring and present ALL possibly relevant passports to the interview, and with perhaps few exceptions, the processing agent (interviewer) will in fact at least glance through most if not all passport pages, at the least cursorily examining passport stamps. And many if not most times, the interviewer will overtly examine many or most passport stamps. This is not an exercise in curiosity or idle frolicking to pass the time. This involves a real examination of the stamps.

The weight of this information is amply illustrated by what happens if the applicant fails to bring a passport covering some period of time relevant to the application. The applicant's currently valid passport is NOT sufficient if the applicant had any additional passports which could POSSIBLY have been used. The failure to bring the latter will delay processing. The failure to produce it altogether can be problematic, even if the reason is entirely innocent.

The fact that for the majority of applicants the passport stamps do not trigger any concerns does not diminish the reality that this information can still carry a lot of weight, and in particular, presenting this information to IRCC at the interview is definitely required.

Prime A

Oct 18, 2017
As has been stated in previous replies, many countries no longer stamp in passport. Italy, Australia, Israel, Cuba are a few. US and Canadian passport holders entering the US, can use the machine, no stamp. Heck, even on my last trip to Jamaica, there was no stamp, I just use the machine. With the proliferation of automated machines at airports, stamps in passport is getting old, and soon obsolete, so that is why I say stamps doesn't carry much weight now. What I can say, though, is that the officer can scan your passport, and can tell you all the places you have traveled, he does not need a translation of a stamp to get that info. I think you guys are confused, if you submit documents to support your application, yes, it would require translation if not in english or french, a passport stamp is something totally different.

wargo

Star Member
Apr 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CAIRO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
not yet
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Not Yet
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
Hope in January 2013

sam001

Star Member
Apr 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2014
AOR Received.
15-10-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
17-04-2015
Med's Done....
22-04-2015
Passport Req..
24-06-2015
LANDED..........
Sept 30, 2015
One more query guys,
I had a study permit, off-campus work permit, and a post-graduate work permit before becoming PR.
both the work permits have overlaps with the study permit. When declaring the dates(9B), should I just mention each status with the original date?
I think it should not matter what I did is
put as a worker for the entire period of time that I have been working after my graduation. It should be fine right?

Last edited:

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My application is now "in process", please update tracker.

We started processing your application on December 18, 2017.

Reactions: flames21

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport stamps that may require translation are those in a non-latin alphabet like Arabic, Chinese, Russian, etc. Passport stamps in any of the European languages do not require translation as the Name of the country rarely change and the dates are all stamped in English.

Yup..I agree. I'm a May applicant (already a citizen now) and have read hundreds of posts so far since then coz my family's citizenship is in process still- I'm only telling you other people's experiences. Some people have required stamp translations while some lucky ones didn't. Ones who required it had a bit of a process delay. If I had some stamps needing translated, I would just go for it just to be on the safe side. It's completely on you ofcourse how you want to it. Good Luck!