+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born outside Canada (not US) to Permanent Residents parents

HassanS

Jun 5, 2013
Hi,

I would like to get your kind advice.

I have a child who was born outside of Canada. Me and and my wife and other children were issued recently travel documents to enter Canada after our PR expired. How can I take the last child with us since he doesn't hold a PR or travel documents. Should I apply for a visit visa for him? what if it got refused? my child is 3 years old and attached still to his mother who must travel and stay with me in Canada for two years.

I would much appreciate your help.

smk_ujs

Star Member
Jul 4, 2015
Hi

1. Apply once she is in Canada, ensure that at the POE that the officer issues here a 1 year visitor permit, will make life easier as the application will then probably be processed in Ottawa (as an outside application)
2. There is no "in Canada " processing for children, it has to be an outside application.

Hi, do you know how long it is taking to sponsor a child outside of Canada?

bizhanrom

Oct 20, 2017
Hi,
My wife and I have the Canadian PR. We came to the US for about one year on work permit visa (J1). Our child was born here in the US. Now we want to go back to Canada. Now, here are my questions:
1. Should I apply for my child to get his PR while we are still in the US? Or should I enter Canada and then apply for him?
2. Without starting any type of application in the US, Can I bring him to the Canada with a US passport and start his PR application process in Canada? (or this may be the only option)

Thanks,
Bizhan

Solaiman

Dec 25, 2017
I would appreciate if anyone could answer my question.

I am PR in Canada and I have a child through my X-wife. I am sponsoring my child to come Canada.
Initially I had reported my divorce status to CRA and at that time my child was not under my custody.
As per my accountant suggestion I had only informed about my marriage status to CRA.
Someone just told me that I should also inform the authority in Canada about my child before applying for immigration. Could anyone have any helpful information regarding this. I would appreciate your reply.
My question is: Who should I first inform about my child ?(CRA OR Immigration)??

Thanks....

Last edited:

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

I would appreciate if anyone could answer my question.

I am PR in Canada and I have a child through my X-wife. I am sponsoring my child to come Canada.
Initially I had reported my divorce status to CRA and at that time my child was not under my custody.
As per my accountant suggestion I had only informed about my marriage status to CRA.
Someone just told me that I should also inform the authority in Canada about my child before applying for immigration. Could anyone have any helpful information regarding this. I would appreciate your reply.
My question is: Who should I first inform about my child ?(CRA OR Immigration)??

Thanks....
1. When you applied for Immigration did you declare the child and was s/he examined i.e. medical? If not, then you can't sponsor the child except for an application under 25.1
2. If the child was declared and examined, then you need permission from your X or the courts to remove the child from his/her home country.
3. You should informed IRCC about the child if s/he was born prior to your emigration. CRA isn't interested in the child until s/he is in Canada and you claim the Canadian Child Benefit.

Solaiman

Dec 25, 2017
Please suggest PMM

1. I got married backhome after my immigration.

2. I dont have the permission yet from court to take my daughter outside of the home country.

3. She was not born before immigration. I got married after immgration and my daughter was born later.

THANKS...

HI

1. When you applied for Immigration did you declare the child and was s/he examined i.e. medical? If not, then you can't sponsor the child except for an application under 25.1
2. If the child was declared and examined, then you need permission from your X or the courts to remove the child from his/her home country.
3. You should informed IRCC about the child if s/he was born prior to your emigration. CRA isn't interested in the child until s/he is in Canada and you claim the Canadian Child Benefit.

Mastram

Star Member
Mar 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-NOV-2014
AOR Received.
18-MAR-2015
File Transfer...
2nd Line Updated - 1st May 2015
Med's Request
13 May 2015
Med's Done....
20 May 2015
Interview........
TLU - 26 May 2015
Hello Friends

Please help me with this situation. Myself and my wife are canada PR staying here since Sep 2015. I have completed 2 years. My wife went to India for vacations in July 2017 while she was pregnant. The Indian doctor advised her to avoid air travel due to medical reasons, now she has to deliver the baby in India only. I'm filling up forms for my new kid and stuck at one point in IMM1344. I added her as a co-signer in the form and while filling "co-signer eligibility assessment" there is one question # 3 which asks "Do you reside in Canada and in no other country?" what should be my answer (Yes or No?) as presently she is in India. The top heading says if you answer "No" to questions 1 to 3, you are not eligible to be a co-signer.

Now If I remove her as a co-signer then in check list (IMM5534) there is one section that says below "For Minor child - If you are a Minor Child and you are being sponsored by only one of the parents, your other parent must complete the Declaration from non-accompanying parent/ guardian (IMM5604). If you read this form this is if the spouse is not accompanying, which is not the case with me.

Please suggest, what are my options.

Regards..

canadian son

Jan 28, 2018
Hello there can someone please give me answer to my question..recently applied for my son's proof of canadian citozenship with the help of his Canadian grandfather as I already separated with his biological father who is Canadian..our son was born here in the Philippines and with the help of his Canadian grandfather..we took the process of the application for my son so he became a Canadian..I am a Filipina and havent got my pr cause my estranged husband didnt sponsor me..my question is..if my son who is only 2 years old and 3 months granted a proof of citizenship..does it mean hes already a Canadian and able to go in Canada? Can I accompany him there even Im not pr nor canadian citizen?What will I do? I am planning to get him there for him to study..please someone help me with my situation..Thanks in advance

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Hello there can someone please give me answer to my question..recently applied for my son's proof of canadian citozenship with the help of his Canadian grandfather as I already separated with his biological father who is Canadian..our son was born here in the Philippines and with the help of his Canadian grandfather..we took the process of the application for my son so he became a Canadian..I am a Filipina and havent got my pr cause my estranged husband didnt sponsor me..my question is..if my son who is only 2 years old and 3 months granted a proof of citizenship..does it mean hes already a Canadian and able to go in Canada? Can I accompany him there even Im not pr nor canadian citizen?What will I do? I am planning to get him there for him to study..please someone help me with my situation..Thanks in advance
Your son's citizenship status in Canada has no direct import for you. Presumably, once he is older and settled, he can try to sponsor you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The short answer is no. Having a Canadian citizen child gives you no benefits.

Your son is free to travel to Canada and live here - however you cannot. If you wish to move to Canada then you will have to obtain a work permit or study permit or PR on your own.

canadian son

Jan 28, 2018
The short answer is no. Having a Canadian citizen child gives you no benefits.

Your son is free to travel to Canada and live here - however you cannot. If you wish to move to Canada then you will have to obtain a work permit or study permit or PR on your own.

I see..now I know what to do..thanks very mich for your answer..I really appreciate it.

Lion2807

Aug 30, 2017
Hi,

Can anyone help me out please?

My wife and I are both Canadian PR (FSW) in Mauritius. We went to Canada to take the PR in April, my wife was 5 months pregnant then. Our baby has arrived in August in Mauritius, and we obviously want to settle in Canada with our entire family. I've read quite a bit about parents in my situation getting TRP/TRV rejected, and need to sponsor from Canada, leaving family behind. CIC website say procedures can be quite long, 14 months for Mauritius. I definitely want to avoid that!!

The thing is, I (me only, not my wife) have a French passport. My child is therefore French by birth, and I've read France is a visa exempt country.
Does it mean I can bring my child with me just with her French passport?
Will authorities accept PR parents with a baby without PR but visa exempt?

Thank you for your advice.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

Can anyone help me out please?

My wife and I are both Canadian PR (FSW) in Mauritius. We went to Canada to take the PR in April, my wife was 5 months pregnant then. Our baby has arrived in August in Mauritius, and we obviously want to settle in Canada with our entire family. I've read quite a bit about parents in my situation getting TRP/TRV rejected, and need to sponsor from Canada, leaving family behind. CIC website say procedures can be quite long, 14 months for Mauritius. I definitely want to avoid that!!

The thing is, I (me only, not my wife) have a French passport. My child is therefore French by birth, and I've read France is a visa exempt country.
Does it mean I can bring my child with me just with her French passport?
Will authorities accept PR parents with a baby without PR but visa exempt?

Thank you for your advice.
Hi

If your child has a French passport, yes, she can come to Canada as a visitor with you. Note that depending on your province, the child may not have access to health coverage until the PR app is done. Child sponsorship apps generally take less time, as there are no security or background checks. Expect about 6 months or so.

Reactions: Lion2807

Lion2807

Aug 30, 2017
Hi

If your child has a French passport, yes, she can come to Canada as a visitor with you. Note that depending on your province, the child may not have access to health coverage until the PR app is done. Child sponsorship apps generally take less time, as there are no security or background checks. Expect about 6 months or so.
Hi Canuck_in_uk,

A visitor is meant to go back, to leave Canada. What if they ask me about that at immigration?
I do intend to start sponsorship as soon as I land.

Thank you.