+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born outside Canada (not US) to Permanent Residents parents

Tulip14

Oct 26, 2015
Aquakitty said:
Are you jobless or on maternity leave? If the latter, just put "Employed" and explain exactly what you explained here, along with the relevant proof. Maternity leave means you still have a job, you are just "taking a break".

Everyone has to do this for every PR application, whether there are financial requirements or not.
Aquakitty, Thanks for replying. Due to my pregnancy, I had to quit the job and I went to my back home. I am currently jobless. I want to sponsor my child. So please suggest what I should fill in there.

Tulip14

Oct 26, 2015
Tulip14 said:
Aquakitty, Thanks for replying. Due to my pregnancy, I had to quit the job and I went to my back home. I am currently jobless. I want to sponsor my child. So please suggest what I should fill in there.

Could any senior members guide on this matter? I need your kind attention ??

I am having some trouble filling out form IMM 5481(Sponsorship Evaluation) about the current situation(unemployed/employed and net income) and a total number of person. We both are permanent resident holders and has never sponsored before.

The form asks if you are Employed or Unemployed( Give details of your current situation and indicate how you support yourself ) and Net income
They ask not to leave any questions blank.What to write in them? " Not applicable" ??
However, We called CIC Call centre and they informed that there is no income requirement for child sponsorship. Is that mean I don't need to fill up Sponsorship Evaluation (IMM 5481) for my "child " sponsorships?

if it is a required document/form then I am currently jobless or on maternity leave and I would like to sponsor my child. I am just not sure whether to leave them as "Not applicable" with an application. we are planning to send a letter/blank space telling them that I am supporting myself financially from inheritance income but was never in Welfare, I am going to support the sponsor(son) once he arrives in Canada. In the mean time, I will find the job.

I filled my taxes last year, Do I require to submit Option C even if i were mention as an Unemployed in the form?

the next part of my question TOTAL, on the same form, I never had any previous undertakings so what would be the count without having trouble with application.?

4.)YOURSELF >>1
5A) current Undertaking (child) >>1
=========================
Total number of person >> 2

or Do I have to include 6A ( your spouse or common- law partner. provide details on the back of this page.) in our total count even though we both are PR holders?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Jan 20, 2016
Hi,

My first time here. My wife and I are currently Permanent Residents residing outside Canada. We have a child born outside Canada (not US) who would require a visa to go to Canada. Is it ok to apply for just a Visitors Visa for the child and then on return to Canada, apply to sponsor the child from within?

So essentially is a visitors visa fine enough OR Do I need a special travel document OR do I have to sponsor before returning to Canada?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cornerstone1978 said:
Hi,

My first time here. My wife and I are currently Permanent Residents residing outside Canada. We have a child born outside Canada (not US) who would require a visa to go to Canada. Is it ok to apply for just a Visitors Visa for the child and then on return to Canada, apply to sponsor the child from within?

So essentially is a visitors visa fine enough OR Do I need a special travel document OR do I have to sponsor before returning to Canada?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
You can not sponsor the child for PR while you yourself are outside Canada. You can apply for a visit visa for the child which may be denied based on it being your intention for the child not to visit but to stay temporarily. If a visit visa is denied, you can apply for another visa sometimes given under H&C circumstances called TRP. If that were denied too, one of you would have to stay with your child in your home country while the other goes to Canada to settle and sponsor. It would not be possible to make a short trip to Canada to file the sponsorship and then rejoin your spouse in your home country because the rules say you must be residing in Canada in order to sponsor and if they find out that you aren't, they will cancel your application.

smk_ujs

Star Member
Jul 4, 2015
hi all,

What do you mean by you can only choose to sponsor dependant from outside canada?

if the child is from a visa exempt country and is living in canada based on his/her visa exempt status, how long does the whole process take place?

and what are the things required for sponsoring child, medical and what else?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smk_ujs said:
hi all,

What do you mean by you can only choose to sponsor dependant from outside canada?

if the child is from a visa exempt country and is living in canada based on his/her visa exempt status, how long does the whole process take place?

and what are the things required for sponsoring child, medical and what else?
For sponsorship, there is inland application and there is outland application, meaning inland is processed completely in Canada and outland is processed partially in Canada and partially in the visa office responsible for the child's country of citizenship.

Inland application is only for a spouse or partner, with or without children. If you are only sponsoring a child, you need to pick outland. The forms you need are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp complete with instructions.

smk_ujs

Star Member
Jul 4, 2015
but why would it be outland? what if me and my partner both are in canada and the child is living with us in canada on his visa exempt status? in that case how is it outland if it is outland which country would they process the application?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smk_ujs said:
but why would it be outland? what if me and my partner both are in canada and the child is living with us in canada on his visa exempt status? in that case how is it outland if it is outland which country would they process the application?
It would have to be outland because inland does not exist if you are only sponsoring a child. They would process the application partially in Canada and partially in the childs country of citizenship or the visa office responsible for that country. You might have to mail the childs passport there in order to get the PR visa.

wan2no

Jan 20, 2012
What if one's wife is still outside Canada waiting for pr gran under spouse visa while sponsored by husband who already residing in Canada and going to dliver a new baby. What will be the fate of that baby in visa stutas, how much time may take to get baby's Pr grant, is there any hassle so that could take preparation from now on. Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
wan2no said:
What if one's wife is still outside Canada waiting for pr gran under spouse visa while sponsored by husband who already residing in Canada and going to dliver a new baby. What will be the fate of that baby in visa stutas, how much time may take to get baby's Pr grant, is there any hassle so that could take preparation from now on. Thanks
It depends if the husband is a citizen or PR.

If the husband is a PR, then the baby will have to be added to the mother's application as a dependent once the baby is born.

smk_ujs

Star Member
Jul 4, 2015
If we just arrive in Canada and want to sponsor our child straight away, how can we prove our income?

I was looking at the application package and it shows we have to show proof of income, but once we move there to settle down, it will take some time to find a job.

also, until the child is granted PR, will we have to pay for doctor costs and all from our pocket?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smk_ujs said:
If we just arrive in Canada and want to sponsor our child straight away, how can we prove our income?

I was looking at the application package and it shows we have to show proof of income, but once we move there to settle down, it will take some time to find a job.

also, until the child is granted PR, will we have to pay for doctor costs and all from our pocket?
There is no specific income requirement to sponsor a child.

Depending on your province, your child may not have health care until PR in which case it would be smart to get a travel insurance for the child before coming to take care of emergencies.

godsservant

Dec 11, 2014
Hi Everyone !!!

A quick question to all for advice and view point.

I had applied for my infant daughters immigration ( Sponsorship category ) and the case is under processing,

I had applied while i was Permanent Resident, last year.

She is at present in Canada with me, on Visitor Visa.

Now, I have received my Canadian Citizenship.

1. Would she be considered for Citizenship , or she would get PR.

2. Do i need to inform CIC about my status change, to Canadian citizen.

Kindly advice.

Best Wishes

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

godsservant said:
Hi Everyone !!!

A quick question to all for advice and view point.

I had applied for my infant daughters immigration ( Sponsorship category ) and the case is under processing,

I had applied while i was Permanent Resident, last year.

She is at present in Canada with me, on Visitor Visa.

Now, I have received my Canadian Citizenship.

1. Would she be considered for Citizenship , or she would get PR.

2. Do i need to inform CIC about my status change, to Canadian citizen.

Kindly advice.

Best Wishes
1, No, she would not be a citizen as she has to get her PR status first. Once she is a PR and you are a citizen, you then can apply for her citizenship,
2, No, you don't have to inform CIC

godsservant

Dec 11, 2014
Thanks, I would wait for her PR. ( She is presently in canada with me, as visitor)

After she get her PR, i need to wait how much to apply for her citizenship ?

Also, Kindly Clarify, should i inform CIC, that I have got my citizenship ( I am sponsor )