+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing DLI before or after arrival? (Urgent)

mex88

Star Member
Sep 3, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello

how long do i need to stay in college before switching DLI?

my brother is actively studying at his college for 2 weeks but due to them loosing DLI, he want to switch.

Is there a speicfic time he needs to stay at his college? He is in Canada now

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
hello

my brother is actively studying at his college for 2 weeks but due to them loosing DLI, he want to switch.

At least one semester.

Jibraan

May 9, 2022
hello

Is there a specific time he needs to stay at his college? He is in Canada now
It doesn't specify but what i have read is 1 semester need to be done. So I have done 3 month course then I switch.

Reactions: wonderbly

anon_user_97

Apr 17, 2022
1 semester to be on the safer side. But you can immediately change and start studying at the new college and update IRCC that you changed the DLI.
if you opt for the second option, make sure to make a strong..very strong explanation letter

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
hello

This was on 1st page of this discussion:

IRCC has changed the rules. You can’t change it when you land. You must start studying at the school listed on your study permit then change after a semester or a year OR get a new study permit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

Jibraan

May 9, 2022
This was on 1st page of this discussion:
Yes, it was saying Technical error when I was submitting.
I screenshot everything and I sent to IRCC. Only 2 days back I was logging on my account and I was trying, it was good.
But I didn't do it thinking that can cause any issue after.

Ikay_v

Dec 2, 2022
Will I be denied entry to Canada as an international student at the airport, if I show the border officer a Letter of Acceptance that is different from the one I applied for my study permit (I have decided to change institutions but haven’t updated my IRCC account)

samarthbehl

Dec 3, 2022
Hello, I hope you are well. I had applied for a study permit from India in June 2022 for Dalhousie University for Bcom course for fall 2022 intake. Unfortunately, I received my visa late and was unable to join Dalhousie for fall 2022. Since there was no deferment available, I applied to Saint Mary’s university for the same course and was accepted in the same for January 2023. I updated IRCC about this with the new LOA via webform after I had received my passport request but before sending my passport for stamping. So technically, my application was not fully approved and I had raised the webform before the finalisation of my application. On my portal it says that my application was approved on 10th October and I had raised the webform on 17th September(way before my final approval). I wanted to ask that can I travel to Canada without any worries? Best Regards

2:04 PM
·
Sent

samarthbehl

Dec 3, 2022
Hello, I hope you are well. I had applied for a study permit from India in June 2022 for Dalhousie University for Bcom course for fall 2022 intake. Unfortunately, I received my visa late and was unable to join Dalhousie for fall 2022. Since there was no deferment available, I applied to Saint Mary’s university for the same course and was accepted in the same for January 2023. I updated IRCC about this with the new LOA via webform after I had received my passport request but before sending my passport for stamping. So technically, my application was not fully approved and I had raised the webform before the finalisation of my application. On my portal it says that my application was approved on 10th October and I had raised the webform on 17th September(way before my final approval). I wanted to ask that can I travel to Canada without any worries? Best Regards

·
Sent

MakZah

Oct 27, 2022

·
Sent
You have to apply for a new study permit with the new LOA since you are changing DLI.

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Will I be denied entry to Canada as an international student at the airport, if I show the border officer a Letter of Acceptance that is different from the one I applied for my study permit (I have decided to change institutions but haven’t updated my IRCC account)
If you have changed DLI then you need a new study permit. So yes, you can be denied entry because you can’t study until you have an approved study permit for the new DLI/program. Updating your account will not make a difference.

Jibraan

May 9, 2022
At least one semester.
hi. Just got my sowp. and am already in canada with my wife on visitor visa. my wife is studying and then i applied my sowp. just got it and need to go for flag poling at niagara. i wanted to know what i need to bring and what question do the officers usually ask. thank you

DavidMF

Star Member
Oct 15, 2019
hello everyone with issue about changing DLI before starting the old school, do you guys receive any update regarding your change in DLI, or do you have any trouble with PGWP application?