+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CERB Question

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is there somewhere online that officially states it's not counted as such?

I'm in the same boat as the OP and had pretty much (at least psychologically) exempt myself from pursuing any income after getting laid off due to Corona and just resigned to burning through all my life savings for a while. Mostly out of fear my spouse will be billed and not really understanding the legal terminology. But I suppose with this thing looking like it will go on for a significant amount of time and savings dwindle, my worries have grown enough to look outside my comfort zone.

The confidence of scylla's response makes me want to believe it's not social assistance. But then what actually does count as social assistance? Is EI? GST cheque? Trillium benefit?

I tried looking at the wording for social assistance as it relates to sponsorship on several pages on the government of Canada website and it just left me more confused.

Apologies for my assumed naiveté. Any advice is thoroughly appreciated.
EI is something you pay into as an insurance policy. CERB is an exceptional benefit but not welfare.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Is there somewhere online that officially states it's not counted as such?

I'm in the same boat as the OP and had pretty much (at least psychologically) exempt myself from pursuing any income after getting laid off due to Corona and just resigned to burning through all my life savings for a while. Mostly out of fear my spouse will be billed and not really understanding the legal terminology. But I suppose with this thing looking like it will go on for a significant amount of time and savings dwindle, my worries have grown enough to look outside my comfort zone.

The confidence of scylla's response makes me want to believe it's not social assistance. But then what actually does count as social assistance? Is EI? GST cheque? Trillium benefit?

I tried looking at the wording for social assistance as it relates to sponsorship on several pages on the government of Canada website and it just left me more confused.

Apologies for my assumed naiveté. Any advice is thoroughly appreciated.
Welfare is administered provincially and is not taxable. CERB is a taxable federal benefit. EI and GST credit are also not welfare.

MonkeyMan

Jan 22, 2019
Welfare is administered provincially and is not taxable. CERB is a taxable federal benefit. EI and GST credit are also not welfare.
Thankyou guys, I really appreciate the information.

The question remains then. If not E. I, nor CERB, nor HST cheques nor trillium benefits. What does count as social assistance?
Ontario works?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
EI, CERB are all based on what is essentially a government sponsored insurance program, unlike social assistance. If you have worked (legally) in Canada, you will have made payments to the program. If you have met the eligibility, you qualify to make a claim against the program and should if it applies to you. Social assistance is, by another name, welfare. There is no prerequisite to have paid into the program to receive it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thankyou guys, I really appreciate the information.

The question remains then. If not E. I, nor CERB, nor HST cheques nor trillium benefits. What does count as social assistance?
Ontario works?
As I said, welfare is provincial, so if you want to know what it is, just Google "Ontario welfare" or any other province and welfare. Comes right up.

JUST CHILL

Star Member
May 24, 2009
Hi,

I landed in early March, had a few job interviews lined up which have all been called off due to COVID-19. I am now stuck here, dont have a job, but have to put food on the table, pay rent and other expenses. What are my options? I am not sure why my category of new immigrants have been left in a lurch and not considered for CERB?

GC123
Thats why they ask to prove you have enough funds that you are supposed to be available to you , to support first few months till you get job .

Tinztp

Apr 9, 2020
Hi guys, I am recent permanent resident . Got it in feb 7. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a job and on top of it because of this covid 19 situation I guess getting a job has been difficult. I just wanted to know if I would qualify for CERB.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys, I am recent permanent resident . Got it in feb 7. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a job and on top of it because of this covid 19 situation I guess getting a job has been difficult. I just wanted to know if I would qualify for CERB.
No.

Danq123

May 7, 2019
am planning to sponsor my spouse and I read somewhere that a person cannot sponsor if receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability. I'm confused if it is ok to apply for CERB ( Canada emergency response Benefit) assistance due to COVID -19 now? Will this make me ineligible to sponsor my spouse ? Kindly clarify.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
am planning to sponsor my spouse and I read somewhere that a person cannot sponsor if receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability. I'm confused if it is ok to apply for CERB ( Canada emergency response Benefit) assistance due to COVID -19 now? Will this make me ineligible to sponsor my spouse ? Kindly clarify.
Read the previous posts...

V.Sas007

Apr 8, 2020
Hey,all. Help me to understand,who knows,please.
Do we need to reapply for all next periods in CERB and when we have to do this for the next period.
Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
of course i did it before,but I couldn’t find answers,that’s why I’m asking here.
So if you know just tell me the answers on my questions.
You can't have actually tried. If you Google "how to apply for CERB", the very first result clearly gives the answer.