+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CERB Question

hyntrq

Apr 23, 2018
I received PR through spousal sponsorship about 18 months ago so I'm still under the 3 year spousal undertaking period. I've been laid off due to COVID and quite need an income. Im not eligible for EI, and I understand that CERB still covers me, but my question is, is it one of those things my spouse would have to pay back at the end of her undertaking? If I receive CERB benefits, would that then amount to her having to pay back 2 or 4 or 6 grand when her undertaking is over?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I received PR through spousal sponsorship about 18 months ago so I'm still under the 3 year spousal undertaking period. I've been laid off due to COVID and quite need an income. Im not eligible for EI, and I understand that CERB still covers me, but my question is, is it one of those things my spouse would have to pay back at the end of her undertaking? If I receive CERB benefits, would that then amount to her having to pay back 2 or 4 or 6 grand when her undertaking is over?
It's not social assistance.

DiiDii

Apr 8, 2019
Toronto Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kingston VO
App. Filed.......
01-23-2020
AOR Received.
02-06-2020
File Transfer...
23-01-2021
Med's Request
18-09-2020
Med's Done....
23-09-2020
Passport Req..
13-07-2021

Guitar_01

Apr 7, 2020
Hello. I arrived in Canada through Outland sponsorship end of December 2019. I have been looking for jobs endlessly since then. I am a java developer but it is not the only job I have been applying for. I’m registered with Employment Ontario and have gone to job fairs and went door to door to apply to small businesses (dish washer, coffee shop, etc.) Now I’m at home looking after my 3 year old daughter full time because she can not go to daycare due to civid 19. Now it is impossible for me to get a job because I am unavailable since I must stay home to look after my daughter. My wife is working but it is not enough to support our family long term. I tried to apply for CERB online but it is designed so that I can not apply. Am I not eligible for CERB? How can someone in my situation apply for CERB?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello. I arrived in Canada through Outland sponsorship end of December 2019. I have been looking for jobs endlessly since then. I am a java developer but it is not the only job I have been applying for. I’m registered with Employment Ontario and have gone to job fairs and went door to door to apply to small businesses (dish washer, coffee shop, etc.) Now I’m at home looking after my 3 year old daughter full time because she can not go to daycare due to civid 19. Now it is impossible for me to get a job because I am unavailable since I must stay home to look after my daughter. My wife is working but it is not enough to support our family long term. I tried to apply for CERB online but it is designed so that I can not apply. Am I not eligible for CERB? How can someone in my situation apply for CERB?
You aren't eligible for CERB. You didn't lose your job due to COVID-19.

gc123

Sep 1, 2009
Hi,

I landed in early March, had a few job interviews lined up which have all been called off due to COVID-19. I am now stuck here, dont have a job, but have to put food on the table, pay rent and other expenses. What are my options? I am not sure why my category of new immigrants have been left in a lurch and not considered for CERB?

GC123

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I landed in early March, had a few job interviews lined up which have all been called off due to COVID-19. I am now stuck here, dont have a job, but have to put food on the table, pay rent and other expenses. What are my options? I am not sure why my category of new immigrants have been left in a lurch and not considered for CERB?

GC123
New immigrants are expected to have their own funds to pay their expenses for awhile. You shouldn't have come to Canada if you didn't have enough funds to survive for a minimum of several months without a job.

deril

Feb 22, 2017
Hi everyone
I tried finding out information regarding the implication of getting CERB payments on PGP sponsorship application, but couldn't find anything concrete. Does anyone have any information regarding, if getting CERB payments will make one ineligible for PGP sponsorship application.

In my view the total income is calculated after removing any social payments which you get from the government and if the income is still above the minimum required, then you are eligible to apply.
My concern is that if getting just one CERB payment will make one ineligible for the PGP program?.

Thanks,

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone
I tried finding out information regarding the implication of getting CERB payments on PGP sponsorship application, but couldn't find anything concrete. Does anyone have any information regarding, if getting CERB payments will make one ineligible for PGP sponsorship application.

In my view the total income is calculated after removing any social payments which you get from the government and if the income is still above the minimum required, then you are eligible to apply.
My concern is that if getting just one CERB payment will make one ineligible for the PGP program?.

Thanks,
CERB isn't welfare, so it doesn't disqualify someone as a sponsor. At this point, until IRCC announces otherwise, assume that CERB will be deducted from total income just like regular EI and that you will still need other income sources to meet LICO for the year.

Guitar_01

Apr 7, 2020
New immigrants are expected to have their own funds to pay their expenses for awhile. You shouldn't have come to Canada if you didn't have enough funds to survive for a minimum of several months without a job.
Yes true. BUT these are not normal circumstances and we as new immigrants already have it difficult to find a job. Now it is impossible especially when I now have a 3 yr old daughter who can’t go to daycare anymore. And you(government) and I(public) know this is not something that will last several months. This will last double that time and maybe more. What are we to do then?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes true. BUT these are not normal circumstances and we as new immigrants already have it difficult to find a job. Now it is impossible especially when I now have a 3 yr old daughter who can’t go to daycare anymore. And you(government) and I(public) know this is not something that will last several months. This will last double that time and maybe more. What are we to do then?
I am not the government.

Doesn't really matter what the circumstances are. You could have been unable to find a job for many months even if COVID-19 didn't happen and find yourself in the same situation. You may not have been required to show proof of funds to immigrate but assuming you are a family of 3, the amount given by IRCC is almost $20,000. That is what you should have had saved in order to support yourselves for however long it took to get settled. No one should ever move to a foreign country without having significant savings.