+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CERB Question

Guitar_01

Apr 7, 2020
You aren't eligible for CERB. You didn't lose your job due to COVID-19.
Yes. I didn’t lose a job and the timing of my arrival is unfortunate. However, there were Two job interviews I had lined up That specifically told me they no longer were hiring due to covid 19. my second point is that I’m no longer available to work because my 3yr old can’t go to daycare Which is the same as all the people who can not work anymore because they must stay home to care for their children. so covid 19 directly affects me and my family too. how could you (government) completely disregard people in the same situation as I. I am not a lazy person and I have been tirelessly looking and interviewing for any kind of job since the day I landed. I do not think I am being unreasonable to ask for the same support that is being granted to all other Canadians who are affected by covid 19. Why am I Different?

Guitar_01

Apr 7, 2020
I am not the government.

Doesn't really matter what the circumstances are. You could have been unable to find a job for many months even if COVID-19 didn't happen and find yourself in the same situation. You may not have been required to show proof of funds to immigrate but assuming you are a family of 3, the amount given by IRCC is almost $20,000. That is what you should have had saved in order to support yourselves for however long it took to get settled. No one should ever move to a foreign country without having significant savings.
You are not wrong. And I know you are not the government, but there is no where else I can get answers to my questions. So thank you for taking the time to answer them.
but that is not the problem. Using up savings is not the problem. The problem is that I need to work but I can not because I must become a stay at home dad now. This is not going to workfor my family long term.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes. I didn’t lose a job and the timing of my arrival is unfortunate. However, there were Two job interviews I had lined up That specifically told me they no longer were hiring due to covid 19. my second point is that I’m no longer available to work because my 3yr old can’t go to daycare Which is the same as all the people who can not work anymore because they must stay home to care for their children. so covid 19 directly affects me and my family too. how could you (government) completely disregard people in the same situation as I. I am not a lazy person and I have been tirelessly looking and interviewing for any kind of job since the day I landed. I do not think I am being unreasonable to ask for the same support that is being granted to all other Canadians who are affected by covid 19. Why am I Different?
This is a public forum. Stop referring to me as the government.

It is a simple fact. You don't meet the requirements to claim CERB. If you have an issue with that, take it up with your MP. There is no sense in arguing your position on this forum.

Guitar_01

Apr 7, 2020
This is a public forum. Stop referring to me as the government.

It is a simple fact. You don't meet the requirements to claim CERB. If you have an issue with that, take it up with your MP. There is no sense in arguing your position on this forum.
Okay thank you again.

vandana_sarna

Apr 7, 2020
Hi,
One of the eligibility for CERB is that one should have an income of $5000 in 2019. I migrated to Canada in Oct 2019. Before moving to Canada, I was working in India. And here in Canada I got employed in beginning of Feb 2020. My employer asked to stop coming to work till this pandemic gets over. My question is..Will my income that I earned in India (which was above $5000) qualify me for CERB or only canadian income will qualify? As I started work in Feb 2020, my Canadian income is not above $5000.
Thanks.

deril

Feb 22, 2017
CERB isn't welfare, so it doesn't disqualify someone as a sponsor. At this point, until IRCC announces otherwise, assume that CERB will be deducted from total income just like regular EI and that you will still need other income sources to meet LICO for the year.

Thanks for the reply. Let's hope it is accounted as EI. Will check with IRCC as and when they confirm on CERB implications.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the reply. Let's hope it is accounted as EI. Will check with IRCC as and when they confirm on CERB implications.
The better result would be that it is accounted for as income, not EI.

ephy

Jul 14, 2016
New Brunswick
You aren't eligible for CERB. You didn't lose your job due to COVID-19.
Hi, I know someone who was laid off because he has a seasonal job. Right now, he is expected not to return to work because of COVID 19, (lobster industry is affected) Can he apply for CERB?

He meets all the requirements, except the fact that, Firstly, he is laid off because of the nature of the job..and now, he can't go back in May because of COVID19.

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
I am not the government.

Doesn't really matter what the circumstances are. You could have been unable to find a job for many months even if COVID-19 didn't happen and find yourself in the same situation. You may not have been required to show proof of funds to immigrate but assuming you are a family of 3, the amount given by IRCC is almost $20,000. That is what you should have had saved in order to support yourselves for however long it took to get settled. No one should ever move to a foreign country without having significant savings.
Circumstances ABSOLUTELY do matter!
With our global pandemic he would have had ACCESS TO DAYCARE! COVID-19 is unprecedented, no one could have prepared for it. It is evident not even the leaders of the greatest countries prepare for it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Hi, I know someone who was laid off because he has a seasonal job. Right now, he is expected not to return to work because of COVID 19, (lobster industry is affected) Can he apply for CERB?

He meets all the requirements, except the fact that, Firstly, he is laid off because of the nature of the job..and now, he can't go back in May because of COVID19.
When did he last work?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

If the layoff was seasonal, he has to apply for EI.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Circumstances ABSOLUTELY do matter!
With our global pandemic he would have had ACCESS TO DAYCARE! COVID-19 is unprecedented, no one could have prepared for it. It is evident not even the leaders of the greatest countries prepare for it.
Again, anyone moving to Canada should have significant savings to cover many months of expenses without being able to work, regardless of circumstances.

Apr 8, 2020
You are not wrong. And I know you are not the government, but there is no where else I can get answers to my questions. So thank you for taking the time to answer them.
but that is not the problem. Using up savings is not the problem. The problem is that I need to work but I can not because I must become a stay at home dad now. This is not going to workfor my family long term.
Hello,
First of all welcome to Canada , I know this is not the best of times to immigrate, but It will get better.
From one immigrant to another ( I too moved just a couple of years ago) from what I have been reading I feel like there needs to be a change of perspective and you should stop playing the “victim “ - no new immigrant (regardless of COVID-19 ) or not cannot expect to get a job comparable to what was they were doing back home. Setting that aside now for some real talk, if economic constraint is the only problem trust me there are plenty of jobs out there hiring (even more ) especially because of COVID-19 such as Grocery stores, Restaurant aides , Dishwashers. or here’s another practical solution , if you have Limited savings move to a rural town, even little money goes a very long way. (it’s not bad as these urban rats claim )
Try to think of options instead of feeling let down (I understand it’s easier said than being done) but remind yourself that you chose this (at-least that’s how I get by ). Good luck , it will get better if you think it should.

Reactions: Buletruck

MonkeyMan

Jan 22, 2019
It's not social assistance.
Is there somewhere online that officially states it's not counted as such?

I'm in the same boat as the OP and had pretty much (at least psychologically) exempt myself from pursuing any income after getting laid off due to Corona and just resigned to burning through all my life savings for a while. Mostly out of fear my spouse will be billed and not really understanding the legal terminology. But I suppose with this thing looking like it will go on for a significant amount of time and savings dwindle, my worries have grown enough to look outside my comfort zone.

The confidence of scylla's response makes me want to believe it's not social assistance. But then what actually does count as social assistance? Is EI? GST cheque? Trillium benefit?

I tried looking at the wording for social assistance as it relates to sponsorship on several pages on the government of Canada website and it just left me more confused.

Apologies for my assumed naiveté. Any advice is thoroughly appreciated.