+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CERB for international students

Bhaujain

Apr 26, 2020
Hello everyone,

I have one question, it will be good if anyone help me out.

I have earned more then $5k in canada in 2019, and I work in walmart, i stopped working from march 17 2020 because before that i gave interview at one place and their employee tested positive after that the transit that I took for continous 3 days operated got tested positive, i was told in general with everyone to look for symptoms and I got fever which stayed for 3-4 days basically so I took cerb 2 payments of two period and now I am going back to work after this week, so i am eligible for two payments that I took or I have to return them?

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have one question, it will be good if anyone help me out.

I have earned more then $5k in canada in 2019, and I work in walmart, i stopped working from march 17 2020 because before that i gave interview at one place and their employee tested positive after that the transit that I took for continous 3 days operated got tested positive, i was told in general with everyone to look for symptoms and I got fever which stayed for 3-4 days basically so I took cerb 2 payments of two period and now I am going back to work after this week, so i am eligible for two payments that I took or I have to return them?
What was the exact time frame for this? If you applied for 2 CERB payments, that means you weren't working (or making less than $1,000) for 6 continuous weeks?

Bhaujain

Apr 26, 2020
What was the exact time frame for this? If you applied for 2 CERB payments, that means you weren't working (or making less than $1,000) for 6 continuous weeks?
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I didn't work anything from March 17 and probably until 3 May I wont work.
Please let me know thanks

FerrariR

Apr 28, 2020
I was coming towards of my 2 year IEC visa, however between losing my position to Covid+ my visa also expired. I have applied for a student visa however i believe my sin has expired. I have paid my taxes for the past 2 years and i plan to stay to study in September and then apply for PR once i graduate. I have been toiling with the idea of applying for CERB as money is running out, but i don't want to jeopardize my future plans by getting in trouble. Is there anyway i can receive the money ? I believe my situation is extremely unique.

Any help/info/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I was coming towards of my 2 year IEC visa, however between losing my position to Covid+ my visa also expired. I have applied for a student visa however i believe my sin has expired. I have paid my taxes for the past 2 years and i plan to stay to study in September and then apply for PR once i graduate. I have been toiling with the idea of applying for CERB as money is running out, but i don't want to jeopardize my future plans by getting in trouble. Is there anyway i can receive the money ? I believe my situation is extremely unique.

Any help/info/guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Which was it ? Losing your job because of Covid, or losing your job because your visa expired ? Paying taxes is not relevant, everyone is obligated to pay those
I'm just confused that you say you're planning on staying here, no work permit, heading to school, all without any money
How are you planning on paying for school, on being able to only work 20hrs a week ?

FerrariR

Apr 28, 2020
Which was it ? Losing your job because of Covid, or losing your job because your visa expired ? Paying taxes is not relevant, everyone is obligated to pay those
I'm just confused that you say you're planning on staying here, no work permit, heading to school, all without any money

Well, i was required to stop working due to covid, but my visa was running out regardless, i have applied for a student visa so i'm led to believe i have implied status(which means i would still be able to work if everything was normal. I have money, its for my school fees. My parents also live in Spain which means i wasn't able to leave for Europe as Spain has had a strict lockdown. Despite being British Citizen i have no recognized next of kin in the country.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Well, i was required to stop working due to covid, but my visa was running out regardless, i have applied for a student visa so i'm led to believe i have implied status(which means i would still be able to work if everything was normal. I have money, its for my school fees. My parents also live in Spain which means i wasn't able to leave for Europe as Spain has had a strict lockdown. Despite being British Citizen i have no recognized next of kin in the country.
You applied to change to a different status, so you are NOT allowed to work on Implied Status. You don't qualify for CERB.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When is your IE expiring? You don't have implied status so must change youe status to visitor before your IEC expires or your will be out of status. You only qualify for CERB until the day your IEC expires

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
When is your IE expiring? You don't have implied status so must change youe status to visitor before your IEC expires or your will be out of status. You only qualify for CERB until the day your IEC expires
Applying for a study permit gives Implied Status, so they don't need to apply to change to visitor status.

Dhruv_001

Apr 29, 2020
Hi ,
I am international student I came last year in August.Moreover, till March 15th 2020, I have earned 5600 CAD (In Canada) and in the month of March I have not earned more than 1000 CAD.I applied for CERB for two periods and received money.I reside in Canada.
The place I where I work wrote on my ROE that shortage of work and didn't call me and told that once the pandemic gets control they will start allotting me work,while due to covid -19 it affected there business.
Now I am confused that I applied for CERB but not EI . Will it be a problem ? Will they ask me why didn't you applied for EI?
And I haven't work after 15th March, I hope they will call me in August month.I am eligible to take 4000 CAD more ?
Will it be a problem or not that as international student taking 8000 CAD ? Even my gic will also gets over next month . I hope they wont point out as you receive gic also ? I have expenses more than 1300 CAD. Definitely if I get job some where else I will start working and stop applying for CERB. I am sure that till august if I take 2000 CAD (total will be 6000 ) more I will be enough good.
Can anyone guide that what should I do further ?

At the start

Feb 2, 2018
Hello
I came to Canada 29th December 2019 as a international student for Jan 2020 intake. I earned before 15 March around 2000 dollars from part-time job. I earned more than 5000 dollar in 2019 but I was in India and income was also in India. Currently my job hours got reduced and income is less than 1000 a month.

Can a apply for CERB ?

Please guide friends

You help will be greatly appreciated

Thank you