+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CERB for international students

chaskaraditi

Apr 19, 2020
Hii...I am an international student...came in the jan 2020 term...i have earned 3k cad in canada...and i have earned 5k cad in india...the cra site says the min 5k requirement need not be earned in canada. But there is also a requirement where the applicant should reside in canada. So will i be eligible to apply for cerb?

GMP97

Jun 25, 2019
Pakistan, Karachi
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
22-11-2019
Passport Req..
19-12-2019
VISA ISSUED...
23/12/2019
LANDED..........
25/12/2019
Hii...I am an international student...came in the jan 2020 term...i have earned 3k cad in canada...and i have earned 5k cad in india...the cra site says the min 5k requirement need not be earned in canada. But there is also a requirement where the applicant should reside in canada. So will i be eligible to apply for cerb?
Yes you are eligible for cerb if you aren't currently employed

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
.....and you lost your job due to Covid , being unemployed is not a enough

Uloaku

Oct 18, 2018
Hi, I am an international student. Came in Dec 2019 for Jan 2020 start. I filed my 2019 income tax return without including income earned in my country, which is over 5k. Before COVID, I earned about 1.8k in Canada but lost the job due to COVID. Now I am worried if non-reporting of my home income in 2019 will affect my CERB if I apply?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I am an international student. Came in Dec 2019 for Jan 2020 start. I filed my 2019 income tax return without including income earned in my country, which is over 5k. Before COVID, I earned about 1.8k in Canada but lost the job due to COVID. Now I am worried if non-reporting of my home income in 2019 will affect my CERB if I apply?
yes if you reported not making any International income and then claim you made over 3k then that will be a problem. Why did you file your 2019 taxes? There was no need to file them.

Uloaku

Oct 18, 2018
yes if you reported not making any International income and then claim you made over 3k then that will be a problem. Why did you file your 2019 taxes? There was no need to file them.
Ok, can I rectify the 2019 tax return by reporting the income before I came to Canada? Maybe if I do this, and it's on record that I earned home income, then I can apply for CERB? Just thinking

The reason I filed was that I enrolled in the CVITP (community volunteer income tax preparer ) program. That was the advice I received in other to process my application for the program.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ok, can I rectify the 2019 tax return by reporting the income before I came to Canada? Maybe if I do this, and it's on record that I earned home income, then I can apply for CERB? Just thinking

The reason I filed was that I enrolled in the CVITP (community volunteer income tax preparer ) program. That was the advice I received in other to process my application for the program.
You can't declare foreign income in a Canadian tax return that was earned before you became a resident in Canada.

Uloaku

Oct 18, 2018
You can't declare foreign income in a Canadian tax return that was earned before you became a resident in Canada.
I have extracted the line below on italics to provide clarification that foreign income earned before the temporal residence is important to be declared for credit and benefits entitlements. For in-depth reading, you can click the link

For most newcomers, the income earned before moving to Canada is non-taxable and does not need to be included in the Total income section of the return. However, since this income is required to calculate certain benefits and credits entitlement, it is important to provide this information.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/community-volunteer-income-tax-program/lend-a-hand-individuals/training-volunteers/scenarios/newcomer.html

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have extracted the line below on italics to provide clarification that foreign income earned before the temporal residence is important to be declared for credit and benefits entitlements. For in-depth reading, you can click the link

For most newcomers, the income earned before moving to Canada is non-taxable and does not need to be included in the Total income section of the return. However, since this income is required to calculate certain benefits and credits entitlement, it is important to provide this information.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/community-volunteer-income-tax-program/lend-a-hand-individuals/training-volunteers/scenarios/newcomer.html
The information is provided in benefit/credit applications, NOT declared in tax returns.

moni333

Apr 24, 2020
Hi,
I am international student and I am working part time but I received less than 1000 per month am I eligible to apply for CERB?

GMP97

Jun 25, 2019
Pakistan, Karachi
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
22-11-2019
Passport Req..
19-12-2019
VISA ISSUED...
23/12/2019
LANDED..........
25/12/2019
Hi,
I am international student and I am working part time but I received less than 1000 per month am I eligible to apply for CERB?
If you lost your previous job cause of covid and you have earned more than 5k dollars last year you can apply

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hi,
were your hours reduced or are you still working the same amount BEFORE covid? If there has been no change in your hours then you were not impacted by covid and do not qualify for CERB.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

Diamond42

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
Hello guys,

Please I need advice on this. I just got my study permit last week (I am in Canada and my studies begin in September 2020). Actually, my PR aaplication was refused in December 2019 and my work permit expired too, so I was out of status and had to restore status as a student. Last year, I worked full time. I am currently in the EE pool for PR again and expecting an ITA soon.

My questions: I am not sure if i am eligible for CERB. If I apply, will it affect my PR application? Will I be penalised? Or I will only need to pay it back next year tax season? Please reply. TIA

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello guys,

Please I need advice on this. I just got my study permit last week (I am in Canada and my studies begin in September 2020). Actually, my PR aaplication was refused in December 2019 and my work permit expired too, so I was out of status and had to restore status as a student. Last year, I worked full time. I am currently in the EE pool for PR again and expecting an ITA soon.

My questions: I am not sure if i am eligible for CERB. If I apply, will it affect my PR application? Will I be penalised? Or I will only need to pay it back next year tax season? Please reply. TIA
You didn’t lose your job due to covid therefore don’t qualify for CERB. You don’t even qualify to work at the moment. You can only work once school begins.