Interview........
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
1-16-2012
VISA ISSUED...
1-19-2012
LANDED..........
1-21-2012
The only place I've experienced this is crossing the border into Canada at Aldergrove. Nasty ones there. It's consistent, even!

Apr 11, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadians must always remember that this is a First Nations land. If they are not first nations then therefore they are too are immigrants. New immigrants never take take taxes for free, they pay taxes. The new immigrants are not welfare dependent people. These are skilled workers coming from different parts of the world who were able to go to Canada because they have the mastery of the English and the French languages, they have valid experience from work and academics and they are not protected persons who just came to Canada because they wanted to escaped the harsh environment of their former homeland torn by war and other atrocities. You must be confusing us with people who arrived here in Canada ignorant of the Canadian languages and way of life. These are your people who eat your taxes because they are dependent on welfare and free healthcare. Your ignorance sickens me. And one bloody Final point, If you look at our Canadian Money, our Canadian Government and our heritage, you could see the french Flag, the British Flags and the First Nations. Rubbish way of bloody thinking.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
unitedbritishphilippines said:
Canadians must always remember that this is a First Nations land. If they are not first nations then therefore they are too are immigrants. New immigrants never take take taxes for free, they pay taxes. The new immigrants are not welfare dependent people. These are skilled workers coming from different parts of the world who were able to go to Canada because they have the mastery of the English and the French languages, they have valid experience from work and academics and they are not protected persons who just came to Canada because they wanted to escaped the harsh environment of their former homeland torn by war and other atrocities. You must be confusing us with people who arrived here in Canada ignorant of the Canadian languages and way of life. These are your people who eat your taxes because they are dependent on welfare and free healthcare. Your ignorance sickens me. And one bloody Final point, If you look at our Canadian Money, our Canadian Government and our heritage, you could see the french Flag, the British Flags and the First Nations. Rubbish way of bloody thinking.
1) Sure immigrants pay GST/HST but if they don't have income, they don't pay income taxes;
2) Not all of them are skilled workers. Some immigrants came here through family sponsorships...
3) Not all of them master English and French languages
4) Why is it that when you see the Canadian currency, Government and heritage, you see the french flag, british flags and the first nation?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
The current government has been repeatedly scoring cheap political points by trumping up exaggerated fears related to immigrants. They know it is an easy way to appease their base. Its shameful, but it is what it is. I am surprised to read all the talk here about "immigrants who come only to get welfare." How many of them are there? Its a totally exaggerated problem that distracts from the net benefit to society from immigration.

dangerJones

Star Member
Jun 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-06-2011
AOR Received.
25-07-2011
File Transfer...
08-08-2011
Med's Done....
14-04-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-04-2012
LANDED..........
10-04-2012
Leon said:
Most people in Canada come from immigrants. If they didn't immigrate themselves, maybe their parents or grandparents did...
jadwig said:
Everybody in Canada is an immigrant except the aboriginals! We only came at different times... ;D
PMM said:
Supposedly the aboriginals crossed the land bridge from Siberia, so that makes them immigrants as well.
Thread's over, folks! Nice to see you, have a safe drive home. ;)

erFiodena

Nov 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2012
Med's Done....
27-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
AIP + OWP 10-10-2012
I am new to Canada and I am applying for a PR under the Spouse Sponsorship.

I am Italian and I lived in Australia (2 years), New Zealand (1 year) and USA (5 months) before deciding to settle in Canada with my wife.

I think that no nation like immigrants, the worse for me was Australia, where I could never feel at ease despite a good job, my good level of English, a nice and friendly workplace.

I have been in Canada (Alberta) only for a few months and I have to say that I like the people and I don't find so much "unhappiness" about immigrants if I compare it to what I felt in Australia.

Can anybody that has lived in Canada more than me explain a bit more the situation? Reading this post made me worry. I don't want to live in a place where I am seen as a burden.

Thanks,

J.

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010

I am Italian and I lived in Australia (2 years), New Zealand (1 year) and USA (5 months) before deciding to settle in Canada with my wife.

I think that no nation like immigrants, the worse for me was Australia, where I could never feel at ease despite a good job, my good level of English, a nice and friendly workplace.

I have been in Canada (Alberta) only for a few months and I have to say that I like the people and I don't find so much "unhappiness" about immigrants if I compare it to what I felt in Australia.

Can anybody that has lived in Canada more than me explain a bit more the situation? Reading this post made me worry. I don't want to live in a place where I am seen as a burden.
AB has been much better off than all other provinces in the recent past due to the oil fields and the associated job boom. The number of open positions is relatively high which makes it better place for immigration. Currently locals tend to be more open minded as they do not feel that immigrants 'steal their jobs' compared to other places such as australia. If the situation changes, you mind find yourself in a similar situation as you faced in australia, though. As a caucasian with good english skills you're in the pole position anyway. So no need to worry too much....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
erFiodena said:

You are already in Canada and as you say, you like the people so why are you worrying? My experience is that I have hardly come across any people in Alberta who don't like immigrants. I have however met people, more from Ontario who don't like refugees, especially the ones who aren't really refugees but are claiming refugee status because they don't qualify to immigrate and believe me, that happens. For the most part, these peoples claims eventually get refused and they are told to leave but by that time, they have already spent quite a lot of the taxpayers money, both because they are given welfare and because it costs system resources to process their cases.

erFiodena

Nov 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2012
Med's Done....
27-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
AIP + OWP 10-10-2012
clubcanada said:
Currently locals tend to be more open minded as they do not feel that immigrants 'steal their jobs' compared to other places such as australia.
In Australia was not about stealing jobs. There are jobs that no one likes to do so Australia opened the Working Holiday Visa program and thousands of young people (18 to 30 years old)from all over the world invaded Australia. Those "backpackers" are hated by the average australian even though they support the economy: they do jobs nobody likes to do (fruit picking/pearling/jobs in little towns in the middle of nowhere) and spend money in the tourism sector because they travel everywhere.
Nobody liked those travellers because they are often cheap, they don't look after things, and sometimes they cause damage but I know australian that made a lots of money because of them.

Secondly I could feel the hate and the proclaim of "proudly australians" against immigrants even on the tv news ( don't know for what reason), and that for me was not acceptable. Also I met people with european background and they were hiding it to avoid being isolated by "100% Australian" people.

@ Leon: What's your background?

How can people in the process of immigrating in Canada be a burden for the taxpayers? I am immigrating now with spouse PR and I can't have health coverage nor open a bank account (not even joint bank account with my wife that is Canadian citizen) until I am granted PR status.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
erFiodena said:
How can people in the process of immigrating in Canada be a burden for the taxpayers? I am immigrating now with spouse PR and I can't have health coverage nor open a bank account (not even joint bank account with my wife that is Canadian citizen) until I am granted PR status.
You should be able to open a bank account. You do not need a SIN to open a non interest bearing account. Maybe you should try another bank.

As for health care, so you don't have it but what if you become seriously ill or have an accident and don't have insurance? Canada will not let you die on the street. You will be helped and if you can't pay the bill, eventually it will be picked up by the tax payers.

In any case, if you read my reply again, I did not say that people in Canada state that immigrants are a burden on tax payers. I said that I have met people from Ontario who did not like refugee claimants because they think it is too easy to claim refugee status and get welfare.

I do not know exactly how easy that is but I do know that if you arrive in Canada and claim to be a refugee, they have to let you stay while they look into your case. I also know that refugees can get welfare while they are waiting for that. I have met a woman who was getting that. Same with the health care, even if they don't have coverage, if they get sick or have an accident, they will be helped.

If they were really all refugees, I am sure people would have less of a problem with that but it actually seems common that people who are not refugees arrive in Canada and claim refugee status, sometimes they are even advised to do that by dishonest consultants. For example, after Canada allowed Mexicans to visit Canada without needing a visit visa, the numbers of refugee claimants from Mexico tripled. Only around 11% of these refugee claimants were found to have valid claims, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2009/2009-07-13.asp As a result, it was decided in 2009 that a visit visa would be required again for Mexicans.

erFiodena

Nov 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2012
Med's Done....
27-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
AIP + OWP 10-10-2012
Leon said:
You should be able to open a bank account. You do not need a SIN to open a non interest bearing account. Maybe you should try another bank.
Thank you for the info regarding the bank account!We will try with a different bank.

Leon said:
In any case, if you read my reply again, I did not say that people in Canada state that immigrants are a burden on tax payers. I said that I have met people from Ontario who did not like refugee claimants because they think it is too easy to claim refugee status and get welfare.
Ok, now it's clearer for me now. I think there should be laws and more controls to solve this problems. I am from a country where illegal immigrants are the norm and illegal immigration is fairly tolerated. Also in my country if you need health care and are not legally in the country you can have it, while if on a visa you will have to pay. I find this unbearable too.
But I think it's not the legal/illegal immigrant to blame but the law and lack of controls. If the law allows people to take advantage of situations they will.

J.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
erFiodena said:
But I think it's not the legal/illegal immigrant to blame but the law and lack of controls. If the law allows people to take advantage of situations they will.
It is very hard with the refugees. If somebody claims to be a refugee, you want to believe them. You don't want to have to assume that there is a big chance that he is lying. I am not sure what they could do differently with that.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Leon said:
It is very hard with the refugees. If somebody claims to be a refugee, you want to believe them. You don't want to have to assume that there is a big chance that he is lying. I am not sure what they could do differently with that.
I think the last thing refugees need is to make the process harder. How many have already been sent back to their deaths? There was a story I saw on TV about the refugee system where a Mexican couple showed up at the Canada/U.S. border and claimed refugee status due to the imminent threat of death at the hand of criminal gangs in Mexico. The woman was allowed to enter Canada because she had a sister in Montreal. The man was denied entry (due to the agreement with the U.S. to only process refugee claims in the first country in which someone lands) and sent back to the U.S.. He was promptly denied refugee status and sent back to Mexico, where he was murdered by gangs several months later. It emerged later that the CBSA officer should have let the man enter Canada due to his common law relationship with his partner. However, they were totally unable to explain this to the officer at the border.

There is no way to make any system immune from being taken advantage of. Can we just accept that and move on? I don't really care if some of my tax dollars go to welfare for a few cheats, if it means people like this man will get to live.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/story/2012/04/11/sk-immigration-language-1204.html

Check out the blatantly anti-immigrant comments to this article on the CBC. I think we officially have a problem with anti-immigrant sentiment in some quarters of our society. I would expect this in the U.S., but it is quite depressing to see this on the CBC.

qwerbilzak

Star Member
Nov 2, 2010
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2010
AOR Received.
18-11-2010
Med's Request
20-04-2011
Med's Done....
11-05-2011
Passport Req..
06-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
erFiodena said:
Reading this post made me worry. I don't want to live in a place where I am seen as a burden.

Thanks,

J.
Don't worry. The post is garbage. People don't like each other for all kinds of reasons. Ignore the idiocy on this post. Just be a nice, honest hard-working person, try to fit in as best you can by learning the language and you'll be fine. You'll probably run into some anti-immigrant morons (there are a many ignorant Canadians as there are ignorant people anywhere). So what. Welcome to the world. Hell, in Northern Italy a ton of people can't stand people from Southern Italy.

So if you run into some, so what. Screw 'em and go about your business.