+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
Finally got to speak to someone and she said, she will do a file transfer if i am interested to the nearest Passport office and that would cost 45 per application and in total 3 applications, but she can not do my Wife and Son application until my wife calls for Herself and for the child as she is the one who signed the application (Applicant section).

When she asked if I had a travel plan, I said Yes, May 28th (that's not true but yeah i gave it a try).

so it looks like they will file a transfer to expedite the process. When I asked how long does it take to get the Passport with the normal delays as it passed 2 weeks from mail out, she said, no guarantee, truth is there is no timeline, we will tell you 2 weeks to 2 months and which is truly no guarantee. I feel like she wants to sell me the 45 dollars per application file transfer.:)

i said, i will change the ticket to 28 June and will see if i can get it by May 28th , again she said no guarantee if you can get it by June 28th so i would suggest you to go for the file transfer.

She ask me where i need to travel, I said India, and she said, you need Visa and you may need passport 2 weeks ahead for the travel date, i understand your situation sir, I recommend you to go for file transfer, you can discuss with your wife and call us we are open until 8pm EST and keep calling from 3 pm so that you may get on the line while your wife will back from school. so we can confirm with her and will do the file transfer. I will email the Service Canada office to send your Son;s DOB original immediately to the passport office to collect along with the passport.

now i have to think , really do i need to expedite and take the passport with file transfer.

by the way it got connected after 54 times dialling , once again thank you @asterixfanboy for the Tip.
Transferring to local office is sure worth it but do it only if you have tickets/itinerary to prove your travel in next 10-15 days.
The way it works is the passport staff from your local office will demand a ticket or travel plan. there is no guarantee if they will accept your situation to get a visa even though the call center person acknowledges the issue.

asterixfanboy

Star Member
Jul 28, 2021
Finally got to speak to someone and she said, she will do a file transfer if i am interested to the nearest Passport office and that would cost 45 per application and in total 3 applications, but she can not do my Wife and Son application until my wife calls for Herself and for the child as she is the one who signed the application (Applicant section).

When she asked if I had a travel plan, I said Yes, May 28th (that's not true but yeah i gave it a try).

so it looks like they will file a transfer to expedite the process. When I asked how long does it take to get the Passport with the normal delays as it passed 2 weeks from mail out, she said, no guarantee, truth is there is no timeline, we will tell you 2 weeks to 2 months and which is truly no guarantee. I feel like she wants to sell me the 45 dollars per application file transfer.:)

i said, i will change the ticket to 28 June and will see if i can get it by May 28th , again she said no guarantee if you can get it by June 28th so i would suggest you to go for the file transfer.

She ask me where i need to travel, I said India, and she said, you need Visa and you may need passport 2 weeks ahead for the travel date, i understand your situation sir, I recommend you to go for file transfer, you can discuss with your wife and call us we are open until 8pm EST and keep calling from 3 pm so that you may get on the line while your wife will back from school. so we can confirm with her and will do the file transfer. I will email the Service Canada office to send your Son;s DOB original immediately to the passport office to collect along with the passport.

now i have to think , really do i need to expedite and take the passport with file transfer.

by the way it got connected after 54 times dialling , once again thank you @asterixfanboy for the Tip.
if your PP application has not been picked up - go ahead and do the transfer... its much better and will give you peace of mind... the way the timelines are now.. just remember with all the hacks people have found and are discussing its better if you expedite and get it done.... its better to have our travel documents in order... just for convenience and to avoid last minute panic attacks. :p

mrbreizh

Star Member
Jun 11, 2021
Hi guys,
A question for those who received their passport:
If you are not home when it arrives, will the postman leaves it in your mailbox or do you have to pick up in person to a local Post Office ?
Thanks in advance.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
So file transfer is requested by us for expediting?
I am confused between expedited services vs Services.

If i have ticket for 15 business days and apply for mail out then do i need to ask any of the additional fees?

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
So file transfer is requested by us for expediting?
I am confused between expedited services vs Services.
File transfer is for already who applied in service canada or mailed it in. They are expediting the process if they have a travel in next 10 days

If i have ticket for 15 business days and apply for mail out then do i need to ask any of the additional fees?
Not required.

Reactions: harirajmohan

MarcAnthony

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
Hi guys,
A question for those who received their passport:
If you are not home when it arrives, will the postman leaves it in your mailbox or do you have to pick up in person to a local Post Office ?
Thanks in advance.
Haven't received mine yet but they told meat the office that they will leave a slip to pick up at post office because it requires a signature.

mrbreizh

Star Member
Jun 11, 2021
Thank you. My oath is in 2 weeks and I plan to travel in France in July and stay for a couple of month before returning.
I am considering to do my passport request from the Canadian Embassy in Paris.
Has anyone every tried to ask a passport from abroad ?
Looks easy, I will just have to have my guarantor to sign before I leave, I think.

ranameraj

Star Member
Oct 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I applied for my kid's passport on March 7th 2022 in person from ServiceOntario Milton. I'm yet to hear anything. We have travel plans for May 21st. I'm really confused what's the next step. I keep calling 1-800-567-6868 but it keeps playing the recorded message. Any advice?

delray55

Apr 4, 2022

alex the king

Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-11-2016
Med's Request
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
11-01-2017
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2017
LANDED..........
24-12-2017
I applied for my kid's passport on March 7th 2022 in person from ServiceOntario Milton. I'm yet to hear anything. We have travel plans for May 21st. I'm really confused what's the next step. I keep calling 1-800-567-6868 but it keeps playing the recorded message. Any advice?
please follow the Instructions from the above message, it surely works, and it did for me, 3 times.

aspiringcanadian292

Feb 26, 2022
Not at all.. I reached at 7:30 am and the line up was already at 30+ people waiting in queue. I went to the passport office because that's where you save 2 weeks.. if you submit at Service Canada it will be with them for 10 days before it gets sent to Passport Office. so best bet is to go to the passport office.. in person and if you have a travel itinerary and tickets you can show them (they did not ask me since my travel was in June)....but i explained this to the verification officer that I have to apply for a visa for my travel in June.... The documents will be verified and your originals returned to you.. once that is done.... the application will be accepted and you will be given a mail out date, file number in a green slip... which will give you a tentative ETA of when you can expect your passports... my passports arrived before the mail out date..
Hi Asterix, congratulations!

Quick question. When you say apply in a passport office do you mean one of the Service Canada centers that have passport services; which are listed below from the canada.ca website:

Find a specialized passport site in your area (Service Canada Centre – Passport Service)
Alberta
British Columbia
Manitoba
New Brunswick
Newfoundland and Labrador
Nova Scotia
Ontario

Quebec
Saskatchewan

Booking an appointment online through eServiceCanada
In accessing eServiceCanada from your computer, tablet or cellphone, you can book your appointment online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Payment information
You can pay your application fees by:
  • certified cheque or money order (postal or bank) made payable to the Receiver General for Canada
  • credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express)
  • debit card
Forms
Application forms are available on the web page Find a passport or travel document form.
If you meet certain criteria, you can renew your passport using the Simplified Renewal Application Process.
If you have already submitted your application
If you have applied within the last 20 business daysIf you submitted your application more than 20 business days ago
Note: Information regarding a submitted passport application will only be released to the applicant.
More information
Please check the frequently asked questions on the Canadian passports and travel documents website.
If you live outside Canada or the United States, visit the Canadian passports and travel documents website.

Report a problem or mistake on this page