+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
I will most definitely have a ticket, but the issue is i'm from India. I need to apply for OCI (Visa for India) after i get the passport before i can travel. That will take another 4-6 weeks!!!
You also need surrender certificate to apply for OCI. it takes 2 weeks - 6 weeks depending on jurisdiction after which you can apply for oci. another option is entry visa which can be submitted with surrender certificate application and takes one week

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
I have a question!
I’m travelling on the may 17th, and i want to apply for a passport urgently, could i slide in the application of my husband and my kid?(2yearsold) they are not travelling till June!
And pick them all together? Or they will have to send it by mail?
Yes. You can submit all of the applications and passport office and not pay for the express pickup for them. it will generally arrive by mail in 10 business days

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Jan 27 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 29 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 18 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24 2014
Yes. You can submit all of the applications and passport office and not pay for the express pickup for them. it will generally arrive by mail in 10 business days
did you mean "not pay" or pay for express pickup? and is this option still available? If i drop off all documents at the passport office and pay for express pickup, will i still be able to get it in 10 business days?

prvd2002

May 20, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2014
IELTS Request
14-08-2014
File Transfer...
05-02-2015
Med's Request
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
07-03-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-06-2015
Hello All,
Just wanted to share my experience with my Passport application. My wife and I took a day off to travel to Kitchener office for walk-in application. Our plan was to be there by 7AM at least as most people had suggested, but we weren't feeling well so had a very late start. By the time we reached it was 11.30 with quite a long queue, with people who came at 8.30 still waiting outside the office.

We just didn't want to return with the day wasted, so we waited and the line kept moving slowly. We entered the office around 2.30, got our token and was called in about 40 mins. We were done by 3.30. 4 hours in total but glad we got this done.

I had my travel dates with me and also mentioned the visa process for India. I was allowed for express service and was issued with pickup date as May 6th (Didn't bother about asking postal, cos I didn't want to risk delay). The staffs were polite and organized.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Please let me know if they insist that the travel date has to be within 25 business days? I am also looking on your experience with the surrender certificate and entry visa to India as I am in the same boat as I have my Oath ceremony scheduled on 3rd May and I travel to India on 5th July.

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
did you mean "not pay" or pay for express pickup? and is this option still available? If i drop off all documents at the passport office and pay for express pickup, will i still be able to get it in 10 business days?
did you mean "not pay" or pay for express pickup?

i said "not pay" in OP's situation because the family was not travelling and they don't need passport in few days.

and is this option still available? If i drop off all documents at the passport office and pay for express pickup, will i still be able to get it in 10 business days?
Yes. but you need travel proof within those days for them to allow you do this.
  • urgent pick-up
    • Fee: CAN$110
    • Processing time: by the end of the next business day
  • express pick-up
    • Fee: CAN$50
    • Processing time: within 2 to 9 business days
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/urgent-emergency-passport.html
If you in Toronto or GTA? there are posts in this thread where you can submit the application in Kitchener passport office and get it in 10 days even without travel proof. this would involve standing in line for few hours and their discretion on that particular day

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/urgent-emergency-passport.html
If you in Toronto or GTA? there are posts in this thread where you can submit the application in Kitchener passport office and get it in 10 days even without travel proof. this would involve standing in line for few hours and their discretion on that particular day
So if the travel is after 2 weeks and within 4 weeks then they will usually send the passport within 2 weeks right without availing any pickup service/fees (from any passport office location) correct?

Last edited:

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
So if the travel is after 2 weeks and within 4 weeks then they will usually send the passport within 2 weeks right without availing any pickup service/fees (from any passport office location) correct?
Yes that is what i have noticed during my journey and experience in past 2 months. This is because the passport offices have the facility to produce/print the passport so once accepted the forms do not go anywhere else and they produce passports on timelines and mailed out from those offices only. Passport offices have a 10 day service timeline. they accept the quantity they can process.
Offices such as Kitchener have lesser footfall because of the distance from populated areas as of now.
passports mailed to passport offices(gatineu/missisgauga) and submitted in service ontario end up in same place(your passport processing office say gatineu/missisauga etc) creating a huge backlog.

Reactions: harirajmohan

Ed1983

Nov 14, 2020
Hi everyone, I have an in person appointment booked to apply for passports. When applying in person do I need to take photocopies of my documents or only the originals are needed.

Thanks in advance.

tanya k

Star Member
Aug 28, 2018
Hello guys

We are applying the Passport for our new born baby and need it by may 23rd.
My husband has filled the application and he is listed as primary applicant on the application.
I'm wondering if that would be okay if i go in person and submit the application instead of my husbnad?
I'm the mother but again the application was filled by my husband so would they raise any concern ?
i have heard people can go in with their family's application but i want to make sure before i waste my day in long line?

thank you for all your help :)

tanya k

Star Member
Aug 28, 2018
Just applied in person for passport this morning, stood in line at around 7:45ish and there were 2 people ahead of me, so not too bad, they said 5 weeks hopefully. So I am not sure if they take 2 weeks to send info to Passport office as @delray55 mentioned above.

Question for folks who recently became Canadian Citizens & are travelling to India, so if I get my passports in first week of May & if the plan is to go in mid September, should I bother applying for OCI or just do it after my trip back home. I have my tickets booked already and since its a family vacation I am not planning to change tickets as that will cost me more vs applying for a Indian visa. Honestly with so much mental anxiety I had to endure after applying for citizenship in 2019, I just want to relax now and not bother about another process where I am sweating for the process to be finished, although it would be cool to get OCI before travelling as long as its stress free.

WHICH LOCATION DID YOU GO TO?

asterixfanboy

Star Member
Jul 28, 2021
For anyone wanting to have their passports sooner - from my personal experience and recommendation you should try Kitchener Passport Office on 40 Weber Street. We got our passports in 10 days.. regular applications with travel end of June.

Reactions: Aquarius93

tanya k

Star Member
Aug 28, 2018
Applying in-person in passport office is faster than Service canada because of processing times is faster at passport office, correct?
Only problem is that i should be spending hours waiting in line, right?

I think that someone already asked, not sure if its in this thread but can one person apply for all of us in the family(including the child)? Any letter needed from other parent?
Hello

do u know if
Hi

Do you know if i can apply in person for my baby?
my husband has filled the application and he is primary on the application but can i go in and apply?

tanya k

Star Member
Aug 28, 2018
I have a question!
I’m travelling on the may 17th, and i want to apply for a passport urgently, could i slide in the application of my husband and my kid?(2yearsold) they are not travelling till June!
And pick them all together? Or they will have to send it by mail?
Hi

Do you know if i can apply in person for my baby?
my husband has filled the application and he is primary on the application but can i go in and apply?

tanya k

Star Member
Aug 28, 2018
For anyone wanting to have their passports sooner - from my personal experience and recommendation you should try Kitchener Passport Office on 40 Weber Street. We got our passports in 10 days.. regular applications with travel end of June.
do u mind asking how was the line up ?
what time did u get there and did u go to passport office or service Canada/passport office ?