+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian life after moving from UAE/Middle East

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
Times have changed. If you have experience form a well known MNC your chances of getting getting an offer in your field is prettt good. Many immigrating are working in tech. Not only does Canada really need thr tech workers because we don't train enough and the public school system is not preparing students for work in STEM fields. Employers can easily do some testing to determine theor skill level and to confirm qualifications. 10+ years ago many immigrating were engineers and were struggling to get jobs in their fields. Much harder to test competency through a short test and there isn't a shortage of engineers like many IT fields. Other fields also usually able to secure a job in their field relatively easy compared to many stories but can't go through all of them.
Hey @canuck78 ,

Good to know that. I'm positive that I can break ground with my existing experience, qualifications and certifications. I do check for jobs that are similar to my present role and able to find sufficient numbers being put up. Also, I'm trying to upskill myself as per the market. Parallelly, I'm trying to extend my area of interest while I embark my journey to find my passion. Responses like you give reason to be more optimistic. :)

Sandaruwan

Oct 26, 2017
With the same line, I would like to throw a scenario

As I'm currently residing in the UAE, before I travel to Canada, I shall be cancelling my Visa and travel back to India to start my immigration journey. The proof of Fund is being shown through my UAE Account. Once I leave this country, I need to withdraw or transfer all the money and close the account. I'm averse in transferring the amount to India and then back to CAD. I need to change the amount from AED to CAD, not AED to INR & then INR to CAD. I wish to avoid the Exchange losses and also given the new India Tax system chances from Oct 1, 2020, I suspect there will be some implications.

My questions in order to avoid the above scenario
1. Is it possible to open a Canadian account to transfer the fund directly there?
2. Does a Traveller's Cheque or any similar alternative will do?
3. How much cash in hand will be allowed to carry? (My origin of flight will be from India).
4. How can I show a POF?

Kindly advise.
1. You can open HSBC/RBC/Soctia account while you are in UAE. If you have HSBC in UAE, it will be the easiest to do and it will allow free unlimited transfers between accounts. RBC and Scotia banks will allow you to deposit one-time amount for a small fee, then once you are in Canada you can withdraw it.
3. Max cash allowed in hand will be 10,000CAD by Canadian authorities (I am not sure how much India will allow you to take out of the country)
4. For POF, it is normally not requested at the customs, but it is best to print out a bank statement from HSBC or other Canadian bank you have opened.

Reactions: Vimalan

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
1. You can open HSBC/RBC/Soctia account while you are in UAE. If you have HSBC in UAE, it will be the easiest to do and it will allow free unlimited transfers between accounts. RBC and Scotia banks will allow you to deposit one-time amount for a small fee, then once you are in Canada you can withdraw it.
3. Max cash allowed in hand will be 10,000CAD by Canadian authorities (I am not sure how much India will allow you to take out of the country)
4. For POF, it is normally not requested at the customs, but it is best to print out a bank statement from HSBC or other Canadian bank you have opened.
Hi @Sandaruwan

Thank you for your reply, I shall check with HSBC, UAE and will update the thread.

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
Hi @Vimalan were you able to open HSBC account in Canada and trasnfer from UAE ? if you can please let me know the details. I am also having similar situation. Thanks,
Hi, @zubairalimansoor ,

Due to Covid, everything has changed including my travel plans. I haven't made any progress on my travel plans yet. I might travel only by last quarter of this year. So if you're making any plans on how to tackle this situation it would be great to know.

Homeowner

Jun 12, 2021
you can easily open a hsbc account from dubai itself before even landing in canada. you only require a local address in canada where they can sent the starter pack including cheque book to that address. visit you local hsbc branch in dubai or call their helpline number. infact in our case everything was done over the phone by them.

Reactions: Vimalan

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
you can easily open a hsbc account from dubai itself before even landing in canada. you only require a local address in canada where they can sent the starter pack including cheque book to that address. visit you local hsbc branch in dubai or call their helpline number. infact in our case everything was done over the phone by them.
Hi

Thanks for the information.