+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian life after moving from UAE/Middle East

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I'm from India too currently working in UAE. I initially had plans to do a soft-landing in May 2020, return back to UAE and get back to Canada by 2022. may plans changes due to COVID and now the option of soft-landing isn't viable, I have plans to shift to Canada by Mid of 2021. I too have plans to work for a couple of years and then set up my own business, else planning to return back to UAE once I get the citizenship.

I would like to know the ground reality about the following status.
  • How is the job market in Canada?
  • How is there a quality of life when compared to UAE?
  • How easy to set up a business there?
  • Are we able to accumulate wealth in the long run?
I'm now in a dilemma as to whether I should make the move if its worth it to get the citizenship?

Special thanks to @sahilsharma88 and @danilorniepes for giving your insights.

Note: I work in Project management that can be applied in Most industries. Primarily I worked in Oil & Gas, Construction and Homeland security projects.
So say you land June 2021 you then need to be physically present in Canada for 3 years out of the next 5 years so assuming you never leave in that time you could apply for citizenship earliest July 2024 . Then it may well be 4Q 2025 before you get citizenship.

So as to whether it’s worth it depends if you have 4 or so years to spend .

Also note that suspect there is already a plentiful supply of project managers in Canada given it tends be one of more popular post grad courses taken by international students on their way to PR.

Plus of course assuming you are an Indian Citizen India of course does not allow dual citizenship.

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
Dear @steaky , @DEEPCUR & @Bs65

I appreciate all inputs and I thank all for the time & efforts. It was a great thing that I got responses immediately after the post, which in most cases won’t be like that. Sorry, I was not in a position to reply immediately due to a personal loss in my extended family.

To give a little brief about myself, I’m now 33. Have a family of my wife and a son of age 3. I have a Mining Engineering and an MS in Management from the UK. Have worked 3 years in India, 2 years in the UK and almost now 6 years here in UAE. Within this period, I have shifted many industries and have taken different roles which may not be related to each other, in search of what would excite me.

I have no issues in starting from ground level or to unlearn to relearn. At the same time, I try to give my best in the roles I work.
The initial plan was to raise my family in Canada. However, this Pandemic has created a few uncertainties in my mind. As I’m in UAE, I can gauge the sense of the market, that it slowly started to roll out with fewer opening pop up. But I’m not able to get how the market is in Canada. I have an intention to work a year or a couple in Canada and parallel start working towards setting up a business.

The pros of being in UAE is that
  • Zero income tax, with just about 5% VAT for items purchased.
  • Better pay scale.
  • The cost of living is relatively cheaper when compared to the UK (Assuming that Canada & UK costs will be nearly the same)
  • Stable Government.
  • Quality lifestyle with better infrastructure.
  • High Security and personal safety.
  • Close proximity to India.
  • 30 days paid annual leave per annum.
The few Cons of being in UAE as mentioned earlier in the Forum is that.
  • One can never call of feel this as their home even though they are born and raised here for years. That feel of Temporary will always keep lingering.
  • Now that most gulf states are preferring localization, down the lane chances are that things may get difficult for ex-pats. (E.g., the recent changes in Kuwait, were only 30% should be Expats, have made it difficult for lakhs).
  • In most cases there is an Inequality in terms of the Pay when compared to Locals, Westerner (White Skin) Vs Asians for the same work or title.

I can still go to India, but after spending 8 years in a developed country, away from the home country, the sense of safety, security and opportunities provided in developed countries always lure me to provide the best for my family. So my bet is that Canada would be the Second home for me to settle down. And if everything goes well, I can settle there permanently.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

I appreciate all inputs and I thank all for the time & efforts. It was a great thing that I got responses immediately after the post, which in most cases won’t be like that. Sorry, I was not in a position to reply immediately due to a personal loss in my extended family.

To give a little brief about myself, I’m now 33. Have a family of my wife and a son of age 3. I have a Mining Engineering and an MS in Management from the UK. Have worked 3 years in India, 2 years in the UK and almost now 6 years here in UAE. Within this period, I have shifted many industries and have taken different roles which may not be related to each other, in search of what would excite me.

I have no issues in starting from ground level or to unlearn to relearn. At the same time, I try to give my best in the roles I work.
The initial plan was to raise my family in Canada. However, this Pandemic has created a few uncertainties in my mind. As I’m in UAE, I can gauge the sense of the market, that it slowly started to roll out with fewer opening pop up. But I’m not able to get how the market is in Canada. I have an intention to work a year or a couple in Canada and parallel start working towards setting up a business.

• Better pay scale.
  • The cost of living is relatively cheaper when compared to the UK (Assuming that Canada & UK costs will be nearly the same)
  • Stable Government.
  • One can never call of feel this as their home even though they are born and raised here for years. That feel of Temporary will always keep lingering.
  • Now that most gulf states are preferring localization, down the lane chances are that things may get difficult for ex-pats. (E.g., the recent changes in Kuwait, were only 30% should be Expats, have made it difficult for lakhs).
  • In most cases there is an Inequality in terms of the Pay when compared to Locals, Westerner (White Skin) Vs Asians for the same work or title.

I can still go to India, but after spending 8 years in a developed country, away from the home country, the sense of safety, security and opportunities provided in developed countries always lure me to provide the best for my family. So my bet is that Canada would be the Second home for me to settle down. And if everything goes well, I can settle there permanently.
Since you are 33 and still young, I would suggest you to save up money in UAE for rainy days just in case cannot find meaningful employment during the number years required for Canadian citizenship.

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
Since you are 33 and still young, I would suggest you to save up money in UAE for rainy days just in case cannot find meaningful employment during the number years required for Canadian citizenship.
Thanks, @steaky . The initial plans were to do a soft-landing and get back to UAE in the aim of continuing my job here for a year of 2. But the pandemic has made the soft landing a less viable option. As it mentioned in the IRCC webpage discouraging any such activities. I'm trying to extend here as much as possible. And when Canada calls then its time for me to pack up. :)

kabayan

Apr 28, 2010
CANADA
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-20-2010
Doc's Request.
10-18-2010; 2nd(September 2014)
AOR Received.
1st 10-18-2010; 2nd(London VO) 06-16-2011
IELTS Request
10-29/30-2010
File Transfer...
May 2012
Med's Request
October 2014
Med's Done....
October 2014
Interview........
N/a
Passport Req..
21-Nov-2014 ADVO RCvD on 23-Nov-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
Jan 2015
I'm from India too currently working in UAE. I initially had plans to do a soft-landing in May 2020, return back to UAE and get back to Canada by 2022. may plans changes due to COVID and now the option of soft-landing isn't viable, I have plans to shift to Canada by Mid of 2021. I too have plans to work for a couple of years and then set up my own business, else planning to return back to UAE once I get the citizenship.

I would like to know the ground reality about the following status.
  • How is the job market in Canada?
  • How is there a quality of life when compared to UAE?
  • How easy to set up a business there?
  • Are we able to accumulate wealth in the long run?
I'm now in a dilemma as to whether I should make the move if its worth it to get the citizenship?

Special thanks to @sahilsharma88 and @danilorniepes for giving your insights.

Note: I work in Project management that can be applied in Most industries. Primarily I worked in Oil & Gas, Construction and Homeland security projects.
We also have been in the UAE for more than a decade before we moved to Canada.
  • How is the job market in Canada? The job market is resilient, there are always jobs. Finding your niche or career path is key. You would definitely need to connect with your peers within your circle to find a job suitable for your qualifications. However, you shouldn't expect much in terms of salary, especially since salaries are taxable. Canadian experience is an important factor/determinant for salary.
  • How is there a quality of life when compared to UAE? If you have a family, the kids will definitely love it here. There are many activities they can undertake, sports, music, outdoor activities etc. We are not a "mall"wish family but more outdoorsy.
  • How easy to set up a business there? It is easy to set up a viable business. There are non-profit organizations who can guide you through.
  • Are we able to accumulate wealth in the long run? That my friend is up to you. People are investing in real-estate nowadays as it is growing year by year.

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
We also have been in the UAE for more than a decade before we moved to Canada.
  • How is the job market in Canada? The job market is resilient, there are always jobs. Finding your niche or career path is key. You would definitely need to connect with your peers within your circle to find a job suitable for your qualifications. However, you shouldn't expect much in terms of salary, especially since salaries are taxable. Canadian experience is an important factor/determinant for salary.
  • How is there a quality of life when compared to UAE? If you have a family, the kids will definitely love it here. There are many activities they can undertake, sports, music, outdoor activities etc. We are not a "mall"wish family but more outdoorsy.
  • How easy to set up a business there? It is easy to set up a viable business. There are non-profit organizations who can guide you through.
  • Are we able to accumulate wealth in the long run? That my friend is up to you. People are investing in real-estate nowadays as it is growing year by year.
Dear @kabayan

Your username sounds so familiar to me as with my other Kabayan friends here in UAE. Thank you for your reply. This has further fortified my confidence and gaining clarity on my future steps that are needed to be taken. Appreciate your time and efforts.

Regards
Vimalan

kabayan

Apr 28, 2010
CANADA
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-20-2010
Doc's Request.
10-18-2010; 2nd(September 2014)
AOR Received.
1st 10-18-2010; 2nd(London VO) 06-16-2011
IELTS Request
10-29/30-2010
File Transfer...
May 2012
Med's Request
October 2014
Med's Done....
October 2014
Interview........
N/a
Passport Req..
21-Nov-2014 ADVO RCvD on 23-Nov-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
Jan 2015
Dear @kabayan

Your username sounds so familiar to me as with my other Kabayan friends here in UAE. Thank you for your reply. This has further fortified my confidence and gaining clarity on my future steps that are needed to be taken. Appreciate your time and efforts.

Regards
Vimalan
Hi Vimalan,

Life is totally different here in Canada, and you will have to do everything on your own, and the taxes are high. However if you look at the big picture and look ahead, life is better especially for the kids.

I suggest do a lot of reading, research, talk to your friends who have been here for 1 year, 3 years, 5 and 10 years. This will show you how you can transition. Many people get frustrated because it is not as rosy as it is in the Middle East in terms of salary and lifestyle. You have to have an open mind and understanding of life here.

Wishing you all the best.

Reactions: Vimalan

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011

• Better pay scale.
  • Stable Government.

As KABAYAN as stated its will not be a rosy move to Canada is entirely true. But since you are just 33 yrs you have a good time to make it but again the path will be full of hurdles and you need to focus your move. No one will help you here to reach your goals. Everyone has struggled a lot and will not like to see someone just coming in to move up the ladder. Regarding savings you will save less here than UAE. If you were a Manager over there you should position yourself to start as a supervisor or maybe below that grade too in the initial years .

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
Hi Vimalan,

Life is totally different here in Canada, and you will have to do everything on your own, and the taxes are high. However if you look at the big picture and look ahead, life is better especially for the kids.

I suggest do a lot of reading, research, talk to your friends who have been here for 1 year, 3 years, 5 and 10 years. This will show you how you can transition. Many people get frustrated because it is not as rosy as it is in the Middle East in terms of salary and lifestyle. You have to have an open mind and understanding of life here.

Wishing you all the best.
Hi @kabayan

Thanks for your admonish. This conversation has really benefited me to evaluate and perceive how things will work for me. I still need to mould myself with a certain reality and set my expectations accordingly. Feedbacks are always appreciated.

Regards
Vimalan

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
As KABAYAN as stated its will not be a rosy move to Canada is entirely true. But since you are just 33 yrs you have a good time to make it but again the path will be full of hurdles and you need to focus your move. No one will help you here to reach your goals. Everyone has struggled a lot and will not like to see someone just coming in to move up the ladder. Regarding savings you will save less here than UAE. If you were a Manager over there you should position yourself to start as a supervisor or maybe below that grade too in the initial years .
Dear @KRP

Thank you for your inputs. I'm right now in search of my passion. So given that mostly I need to start from scratch. I'm willing to start in an area (Yet to be found) which I feel will be pulling me towards it. Meanwhile, I hope my experience, qualifications, certifications and professional bodies that I'm attached with, will come in handy during the struggle. I'm ready to unlearn to relearn. So, I believe that the immigration move will be an opportunity to change my career path. :)

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
Dear @KRP

Thank you for your inputs. I'm right now in search of my passion. So given that mostly I need to start from scratch. I'm willing to start in an area (Yet to be found) which I feel will be pulling me towards it. Meanwhile, I hope my experience, qualifications, certifications and professional bodies that I'm attached with, will come in handy during the struggle. I'm ready to unlearn to relearn. So, I believe that the immigration move will be an opportunity to change my career path. :)
Best of Luck ...

Reactions: Vimalan

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear @KRP

Not everyone starts from scratch. All depends on your education and experience. Plenty of immigrants arriving and making a very good income soon after arrival.

Reactions: torontosm

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
With the same line, I would like to throw a scenario

As I'm currently residing in the UAE, before I travel to Canada, I shall be cancelling my Visa and travel back to India to start my immigration journey. The proof of Fund is being shown through my UAE Account. Once I leave this country, I need to withdraw or transfer all the money and close the account. I'm averse in transferring the amount to India and then back to CAD. I need to change the amount from AED to CAD, not AED to INR & then INR to CAD. I wish to avoid the Exchange losses and also given the new India Tax system chances from Oct 1, 2020, I suspect there will be some implications.

My questions in order to avoid the above scenario
1. Is it possible to open a Canadian account to transfer the fund directly there?
2. Does a Traveller's Cheque or any similar alternative will do?
3. How much cash in hand will be allowed to carry? (My origin of flight will be from India).
4. How can I show a POF?

Kindly advise.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks, @canuck78 for the positive note :)
Times have changed. If you have experience form a well known MNC your chances of getting getting an offer in your field is prettt good. Many immigrating are working in tech. Not only does Canada really need thr tech workers because we don't train enough and the public school system is not preparing students for work in STEM fields. Employers can easily do some testing to determine theor skill level and to confirm qualifications. 10+ years ago many immigrating were engineers and were struggling to get jobs in their fields. Much harder to test competency through a short test and there isn't a shortage of engineers like many IT fields. Other fields also usually able to secure a job in their field relatively easy compared to many stories but can't go through all of them.