+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian life after moving from UAE/Middle East

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi canuck78

I have the canadian citizenship. but I don't know what is the salary I can ask for the qualifications that I have ?
Not sure what your qualifications are. Have you worked or gone to school in Canada? There is no set salary. There tends to be a large range for most professions depending on location, employer, etc.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes I am a canadian citizen, my profession is health and safety officer. May i know if the foreigners that is being abused, that you are saying are canadians? Yes definitely not at the moment, everywhere you go i believe is in recession because of the Pandemic.
Didn’t say Canadians were being abused although I suspect that caucasian Canadians are likely treated differently versus Canadians of other ethnic origins. Lots of foreign workers are used for cheap labour and have no rights. Working in the UAE is tied to your ability to live in the UAE which is why a recession would hit workers differently in the UAE versus Canada. There will be issues in both countries when it comes to the economy.

red2020

Jul 9, 2020
Not sure what your qualifications are. Have you worked or gone to school in Canada? There is no set salary. There tends to be a large range for most professions depending on location, employer, etc.
Hi,
I have bachelor degree in finance ,I mastery 3 languages (English, french and arabic). More then 10 years experience in finance and insurance (5 of them in Canada). Canadian passport. Want to know what is the minimum I can ask for in UAE regarding this qualifications?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
I have bachelor degree in finance ,I mastery 3 languages (English, french and arabic). More then 10 years experience in finance and insurance (5 of them in Canada). Canadian passport. Want to know what is the minimum I can ask for in UAE regarding this qualifications?
This is a Canadian forum not an UAE forum.

mrcj17

Oct 10, 2013
This is a Canadian forum not an UAE forum.
Hi canuck78,

Thank you for answering our query. I appreciate that, Yeah i think you are right, Caucasian are probable treated way better than others. Just like any other people i am just looking for a better opportunity that fits my goal in life. Canada is a beautiful country and no doubt about that. I have friends that told me that when they were in the middle east they tend to save more money compare here. That is why I got an idea of maybe taking a look what life it may be in the middle east. They can't really tell me what to expect because they are not yet Canadian citizens back then. I was thinking maybe since I got Canadian Diploma and work experience in my field, salary offer might be good too(Maybe).

mrcj17

Oct 10, 2013
Hi,
Hello red2020,

I don't have an idea about salary expectations but in my opinion it should be higher than what you are earning right now since you have upgraded your credentials.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi canuck78,

Thank you for answering our query. I appreciate that, Yeah i think you are right, Caucasian are probable treated way better than others. Just like any other people i am just looking for a better opportunity that fits my goal in life. Canada is a beautiful country and no doubt about that. I have friends that told me that when they were in the middle east they tend to save more money compare here. That is why I got an idea of maybe taking a look what life it may be in the middle east. They can't really tell me what to expect because they are not yet Canadian citizens back then. I was thinking maybe since I got Canadian Diploma and work experience in my field, salary offer might be good too(Maybe).
Really depends on what industry you work in. You make more money partially because it isn’t taxed.

mrcj17

Oct 10, 2013
Really depends on what industry you work in. You make more money partially because it isn’t taxed.
Yes and to add on that, most of the job offers comes with housing, and sometimes with food and transportation so living expenses are low.

mrcj17

Oct 10, 2013
Is Canadian required to declare / File Tax if let say you are working outside Canada? i. e. here in UAE
Hello,

I believe it depends on your residency status. If you are a resident of Canada for tax purposes you will need to file a tax. if you are Emigrant you don't have too.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/factual-residents-temporarily-outside-canada.html

are you working right now in uae? and is canadian citizen?

danilorniepes

Dec 20, 2017
Hello,

I believe it depends on your residency status. If you are a resident of Canada for tax purposes you will need to file a tax. if you are Emigrant you don't have too.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/factual-residents-temporarily-outside-canada.html

are you working right now in uae? and is canadian citizen?

I am based in UAE and I am not Canadian Citizen, I am only asking so I can provide people here answers about their questions

If anyone who is considering moving from Canada to UAE, one important thing to consider is " based on your personal circumstances - if you have to or will pay income tax to Canada" then getting a big salary in UAE will be just equal being in Canada too.

1. Tax-Free Salary (now once again this depends on your personal circumstances, let say you cut ties 100% with Canada like no family, no house, no investments, etc then I believe you will be tax-free) but if you have ties then Canada will consider you a factual resident.

2. If you have kids Schools here are very very expensive 18 to 26,000 CAD per Child plus annual bus of +/-2000 CAD

3. There is no single formula for the salary if you know your worth in the marketplace here in UAE and you know how to bargain you can get a very competitive salary - I can say this as I am Asian origin but the package I get overall is among the top side of the total remuneration package.

4. You will get annual airfare - for the family too if you are hired as "family status"

5. Being a Canadian is a plus but not necessarily always "top advantage amongst others" - Here in UAE, they value the Middle East vast Experience.

6. Here you will not get any government subsidy such as CERB, Child Care benefit etc - Starts with your salary/end with your salary.

7. tax-wise you only pay 5% sales tax amongst everything

8. When you end your contract / terminated or resign you must exit the country - no PR status here every 2 years you renew. If you have some serious health problems like AIDS, TB, Hepa then your career is done in UAE.

9. Living expenses - we cannot consider "low" depends on the areas you wish to stay". range from 25-40,000 CAD annually for 3 bedrooms wildly depends on the areas you wish to stay.

10. House Purchase - It's almost impossible (but not impossible - as I personally buy my own unit here than renting as from the start I know I will stay here at least 10 years) for most of the ex-pats owning a home here for several reasons. first, it is mandatory you pay 25% downpayment and 75% finance by the bank plus some extra fees I would say 3 to 5% max. Some people decide not to buy a house/apartment as typical expats cannot be citizens or permanent residents here.

UAE is my home for almost 13 years now, I saw almost everything, its a great country and it is my second home,. but in the end, people move from here to Canada or anywhere else more than just money. Unfortunately, some folks having a challenging start in Canada because they move to Canada without Job and they have to start from the bottom of the ladder but in the end sense of security for their kids that they can go to school for free and for parents in Canada they don't have to worry that they will be sent home (the entire family) if they lose their job. in UAE that the case, end on contract, termination, resignation you have one month, and you're done you need to exit.

I hope I provided everyone with enough information about UAE.

mrcj17

Oct 10, 2013
I am based in UAE and I am not Canadian Citizen, I am only asking so I can provide people here answers about their questions

If anyone who is considering moving from Canada to UAE, one important thing to consider is " based on your personal circumstances - if you have to or will pay income tax to Canada" then getting a big salary in UAE will be just equal being in Canada too.

1. Tax-Free Salary (now once again this depends on your personal circumstances, let say you cut ties 100% with Canada like no family, no house, no investments, etc then I believe you will be tax-free) but if you have ties then Canada will consider you a factual resident.

2. If you have kids Schools here are very very expensive 18 to 26,000 CAD per Child plus annual bus of +/-2000 CAD

3. There is no single formula for the salary if you know your worth in the marketplace here in UAE and you know how to bargain you can get a very competitive salary - I can say this as I am Asian origin but the package I get overall is among the top side of the total remuneration package.

4. You will get annual airfare - for the family too if you are hired as "family status"

5. Being a Canadian is a plus but not necessarily always "top advantage amongst others" - Here in UAE, they value the Middle East vast Experience.

6. Here you will not get any government subsidy such as CERB, Child Care benefit etc - Starts with your salary/end with your salary.

7. tax-wise you only pay 5% sales tax amongst everything

8. When you end your contract / terminated or resign you must exit the country - no PR status here every 2 years you renew. If you have some serious health problems like AIDS, TB, Hepa then your career is done in UAE.

9. Living expenses - we cannot consider "low" depends on the areas you wish to stay". range from 25-40,000 CAD annually for 3 bedrooms wildly depends on the areas you wish to stay.

10. House Purchase - It's almost impossible (but not impossible - as I personally buy my own unit here than renting as from the start I know I will stay here at least 10 years) for most of the ex-pats owning a home here for several reasons. first, it is mandatory you pay 25% downpayment and 75% finance by the bank plus some extra fees I would say 3 to 5% max. Some people decide not to buy a house/apartment as typical expats cannot be citizens or permanent residents here.

UAE is my home for almost 13 years now, I saw almost everything, its a great country and it is my second home,. but in the end, people move from here to Canada or anywhere else more than just money. Unfortunately, some folks having a challenging start in Canada because they move to Canada without Job and they have to start from the bottom of the ladder but in the end sense of security for their kids that they can go to school for free and for parents in Canada they don't have to worry that they will be sent home (the entire family) if they lose their job. in UAE that the case, end on contract, termination, resignation you have one month, and you're done you need to exit.

I hope I provided everyone with enough information about UAE.
Thanks for your advice and the facts from UAE. Different people, different goals, different views. It all boils down on what you want to achieve in life that is why people move from one place to another. You will never know what life is from the other side of the world until you get there. At the end of the day it is you will know what is good for you. As for my personal views, We can always go back here in Canada if in case we leave. ;-).

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
I'm from India too currently working in UAE. I initially had plans to do a soft-landing in May 2020, return back to UAE and get back to Canada by 2022. may plans changes due to COVID and now the option of soft-landing isn't viable, I have plans to shift to Canada by Mid of 2021. I too have plans to work for a couple of years and then set up my own business, else planning to return back to UAE once I get the citizenship.

I would like to know the ground reality about the following status.
  • How is the job market in Canada?
  • How is there a quality of life when compared to UAE?
  • How easy to set up a business there?
  • Are we able to accumulate wealth in the long run?
I'm now in a dilemma as to whether I should make the move if its worth it to get the citizenship?

Special thanks to @sahilsharma88 and @danilorniepes for giving your insights.

Note: I work in Project management that can be applied in Most industries. Primarily I worked in Oil & Gas, Construction and Homeland security projects.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm from India too currently working in UAE. I initially had plans to do a soft-landing in May 2020, return back to UAE and get back to Canada by 2022. may plans changes due to COVID and now the option of soft-landing isn't viable, I have plans to shift to Canada by Mid of 2021. I too have plans to work for a couple of years and then set up my own business, else planning to return back to UAE once I get the citizenship.

I'm now in a dilemma as to whether I should make the move if its worth it to get the citizenship?

Note: I work in Project management that can be applied in Most industries. Primarily I worked in Oil & Gas, Construction and Homeland security projects.
If you never plan to live in Canada after getting citizenship, except to use the visa free Canadian passport, it is not worth to get the citizenship.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016

Canada is a good place to raise family and kids, but if you are not going to do that, wondering what's the use of getting its citizenship. I don't believe you are a globe trotter, so visa free travel offered by Canadian passport is also of no use to you.