+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PresidentMonk

Newbie
Feb 8, 2026
2
1
Hi everyone, I recently moved to Canada as a PR and I am trying to make sure I handle my foreign bank accounts properly for tax filing. Before coming here I was working in the UAE and I still have my salary account with First Abu Dhabi Bank. I have some savings there and I plan to transfer the money gradually to my Canadian account over the next few months.

My confusion is about how this should be reported to CRA. The money is not new income, it is just savings from previous years when I was living and working outside Canada. I am worried that large transfers might look like income or trigger questions from the bank or CRA. I have also read something about declaring foreign assets if the total is over a certain amount but I am not sure if a regular bank balance counts.

Has anyone dealt with something similar after moving from the Middle East or another country? Do I need to report the FAB account on my tax return or only if the balance crosses the threshold, and will transferring it to Canada create any tax liability? Just want to avoid mistakes in my first filing year. And one last thing, will the method of checking the account balance would be same in Canada (especially the SMS method)???

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
 
Hi everyone, I recently moved to Canada as a PR and I am trying to make sure I handle my foreign bank accounts properly for tax filing. Before coming here I was working in the UAE and I still have my salary account with First Abu Dhabi Bank. I have some savings there and I plan to transfer the money gradually to my Canadian account over the next few months.

My confusion is about how this should be reported to CRA. The money is not new income, it is just savings from previous years when I was living and working outside Canada. I am worried that large transfers might look like income or trigger questions from the bank or CRA. I have also read something about declaring foreign assets if the total is over a certain amount but I am not sure if a regular bank balance counts.

Has anyone dealt with something similar after moving from the Middle East or another country? Do I need to report the FAB account on my tax return or only if the balance crosses the threshold, and will transferring it to Canada create any tax liability? Just want to avoid mistakes in my first filing year. And one last thing, will the method of checking the account balance would be same in Canada (especially the SMS method)???

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Form T1135, Foreign Income Verification Statement, must be filed by:

  • Canadian resident individuals, corporations, and certain trusts that, at any time during the year, own specified foreign property costing more than $100,000
  • certain partnerships that hold more than $100,000 of specified foreign property
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag...ng/foreign-income-verification-statement.html

For your last question, we use telephone, in-branch (if available) and internet to check the account balance.
 
If the money in your First Abu Dhabi Bank (FAB) account is savings from before you became a Canadian tax resident, transferring it to Canada is not taxable. It’s your own old money, not new income.

However, once you became a resident, you must report:
• Any interest earned on that account after your residency date (that part is taxable).
• The account on Form T1135 if your total foreign assets exceeded CAD $100,000 at any time in the year, as required by the Canada Revenue Agency.

Large transfers may trigger routine bank checks, but that does not mean tax is owed. Keep proof the funds are pre-arrival savings.

Regarding balance checks: yes, you can still check your FAB balance from Canada using the FAB mobile app, online banking, or SMS (if your UAE number is active). For a quick overview of FAB balance checking methods abroad, https://fbbalancecheck.ae explains the process clearly.
 
If the money in your First Abu Dhabi Bank (FAB) account is savings from before you became a Canadian tax resident, transferring it to Canada is not taxable. It’s your own old money, not new income.

However, once you became a resident, you must report:
• Any interest earned on that account after your residency date (that part is taxable).
• The account on Form T1135 if your total foreign assets exceeded CAD $100,000 at any time in the year, as required by the Canada Revenue Agency.

Large transfers may trigger routine bank checks, but that does not mean tax is owed. Keep proof the funds are pre-arrival savings.
block blast
Regarding balance checks: yes, you can still check your FAB balance from Canada using the FAB mobile app, online banking, or SMS (if your UAE number is active). For a quick overview of FAB balance checking methods abroad, https://fbbalancecheck.ae explains the process clearly.
I truly appreciate this in-depth talk about reporting FAB bank balances and transfers to Canada! It's critical for us expats to grasp the tax ramifications, and your insights have made things lot clearer. One item that piqued my interest was the possibility of double taxation—a complicated topic that many people may ignore. Perhaps investigating more mitigation measures would provide even more benefit!
 
Hi everyone, I recently moved to Canada as a PR and I am trying to make sure I handle my foreign bank accounts properly for tax filing. Before coming here I was working in the UAE and I still have my salary account with First Abu Dhabi Bank. I have some savings there and I plan to transfer the money gradually to my Canadian account over the next few months.

My confusion is about how this should be reported to CRA. The money is not new income, it is just savings from previous years when I was living and working outside Canada. I am worried that large transfers might look like income or trigger questions from the bank or CRA. I have also read something about declaring foreign assets if the total is over a certain amount but I am not sure if a regular bank balance counts.

Has anyone dealt with something similar after moving from the Middle East or another country? Do I need to report the FAB account on my tax return or only if the balance crosses the threshold, and will transferring it to Canada create any tax liability? Just want to avoid mistakes in my first filing year. And one last thing, will the method of checking the account balance would be same in Canada (especially the SMS method)??? Accumulator bets explained—learn more here: https://vivatbet.ie/en/blog/accumulator-betting-explained .

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
It might also be worth speaking with a tax professional for your first Canadian return. Once everything is set up correctly, future filings are usually much more straightforward.
 
Hi everyone, I recently moved to Canada as a PR and I am trying to make sure I handle my foreign bank accounts properly for tax filing. Before coming here I was working in the UAE and I still have my salary account with First Abu Dhabi Bank. I have some savings there and I plan to transfer the money gradually to my Canadian account over the next few months.

My confusion is about how this should be reported to CRA. The money is not new income, it is just savings from previous years when I was living and working outside Canada. I am worried that large transfers might look like income or trigger questions from the bank or CRA. I have also read something about declaring foreign assets if the total is over a certain amount but I am not sure if a regular bank balance counts.

Has anyone dealt with something similar after moving from the Middle East or another country? Do I need to report the FAB account on my tax return or only if the balance crosses the threshold, and will transferring it to Canada create any tax liability? Just want to avoid mistakes in my first filing year. And one last thing, will the method of checking the account balance would be same in Canada (especially the SMS method)???
Managing a bank balance becomes more important when planning transfers to Canada, especially when exchange rates, transfer fees, and processing times can vary between providers. I think it is useful to compare the cost rather than focusing only on the advertised fee. Payment services should provide clear transaction tracking and security measures. For anyone following developments in online payments, https://thegamblingjournal.com/news/payments/ offers useful coverage of payment processing trends and industry changes. Keeping records of incoming and outgoing funds can make international transfers easier to manage and help avoid unexpected balance issues.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.
It is worth speaking with a tax specialist.
 
It is worth speaking with a tax specialist.
Savings u earned before you became a Canadian tax resident r generally not taxed again in Canada. Simply transferring your existing savings from ur UAE account to Canada does not by itself make the savings taxable income. If the balance is close to or above $100,000 CAD, u should definitely speak with a Canadian tax professional before filing your first return, because the T1135 rules can get more complicated for newcomers.
 
Transferring your own savings to Canada is not income, so there is no tax on the transfer itself and you do not report it as income on your return.

Two things to watch though. First, any interest the FAB account earned after you became a Canadian tax resident counts as taxable income in Canada. Second, if your foreign assets (including that account) were over CAD $100,000 at any point in the year, file Form T1135 with your return.

And keep your old UAE bank statements showing the money was saved before you arrived, in case CRA ever asks where it came from.