+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada refugee travel document; Mexico Cancun

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I am planning to visit Germany with my RTD and I would like to know how you travelled to Germany with the RTD. Did you apply for a German visa? Or just bought an air ticket and fly to Germany without any visa? Your response is highly appreciated. Thanks!
Yhere is no need for a visa when travelling to Germany with an RTD. Entry to a country is never guaranteed so would make sure you have proof that you have enough funds to support your stay, proof of employment and proof of housing in Canada makes chances of entry increase, etc.

jasf2023

Mar 5, 2023
Hi Biochemist.

I hope everything goes well with you.
I wanted to ask you about your immigration process when leave Canada and arrive to Cancun. I want to make same trip (I already have tickets). Short brief: I am Colombian, with RTD, No PR, No visa, nothing. Only the RTD.
I emailed embassy, they answer I can't, I emailed consulate in Toronto they said I need visa. I emailed another consulate they said, they have not idea. (Nobody knows) that's why I want a person who live the experience.

I am gonna travel by Swoop. The girl in the front desk ask you for visa? Any problem when you arrived Cancun?

Tell me your story please I need someone who travel there and also, can you confirm your nationality (I am Colombian and I don't need visa to go there but obviously I have not my passport with me)
Hola , estoy en la misma situación soy colombiano y tengo mi document travel pero no tengo visa a ninguno de los Países mencionados o residencia todavía, pudiste viajar a mexico?

Alejosan

Sep 17, 2023
Hola , estoy en la misma situación soy colombiano y tengo mi document travel pero no tengo visa a ninguno de los Países mencionados o residencia todavía, pudiste viajar a Mexico?
Hola Jasf2023,
Pudiste volar a mexico. Si fue asi cuentame si necesitaste algo mas o todo fue bien.
Gracias.

Alejosan

Sep 17, 2023
Hi Biochemist.

I hope everything goes well with you.
I wanted to ask you about your immigration process when leave Canada and arrive to Cancun. I want to make same trip (I already have tickets). Short brief: I am Colombian, with RTD, No PR, No visa, nothing. Only the RTD.
I emailed embassy, they answer I can't, I emailed consulate in Toronto they said I need visa. I emailed another consulate they said, they have not idea. (Nobody knows) that's why I want a person who live the experience.

I am gonna travel by Swoop. The girl in the front desk ask you for visa? Any problem when you arrived Cancun?

Tell me your story please I need someone who travel there and also, can you confirm your nationality (I am Colombian and I don't need visa to go there but obviously I do have not my passport with me)
Hello Juanapaa,
I hope you are well.
I would like to ask if you could enter Mexico.
I am planning to go in 2 months. Nobody knows about that. I want to know if RTD is enough to go there or if I need additional requirements.
Thank you.

rachelm2000r

Star Member
Aug 19, 2023
Hi there, listen ! (I am not an expert, i will answer you about what i know after research).
I dont work for mexico ambassy but what i know after doing some research is that : RTD without a PR will NOT allows you to enter Mexico.
You need a visa ! ( i am planning to go there myself too). Or PR
I called the mexico ambassy couple of time... to try to schedule a "rendez_vous" for the visa ! But unfortunately, They dont have any open spot till December or something.
But : in the website of mexico ambassy of Ottawa it says. If you have a valide "type C Schengen visa" multiple entree ! You can use it to enter mexico.
In comparison: mexico visa is more affordable rather the Schengen visa.
But the choice will be on you !

The Schengen visa take between 2 to 3 weeks to obtain 1.

Alejosan

Sep 17, 2023
Hi there, listen ! (I am not an expert, i will answer you about what i know after research).
I dont work for mexico bassy but what i know after doing some research is that : RTD without a PR will NOT allows you to enter Mexico.
You need a visa ! ( i am planning to go there myself too). Or PR
I called the mexico ambassy couple of time... to try to schedule a "rendez_vous" for the visa ! But unfortunately, They dont have any open spot till December or something.
But : in the website of mexico ambassy of Ottawa it says. If you have a valide "type C Schengen visa" multiple entree ! You can use it to enter mexico.
In comparison: mexico visa is more affordable rather the Schengen visa.
But the choice will be on you !

The Schengen visa take between 2 to 3 weeks to obtain 1.
Hi Rachelm2000r,
Thank you for your answer.

I am still searching for information because the Mexico website says if you have a passport issued by Canada you don't need a visa.
All this information is a little confusing.

rachelm2000r

Star Member
Aug 19, 2023
Indeed as you said, if you have a "PASSPORT" issued from canada. But your document is called "Travel document" .
It is not the same thing, it doesn't have the same power.
Administration speaking, you can use it to travel, compare to your home countrie/ or canadian passport ! The travel document has some endorsements and limitations.

If you do travel to mexico without a PR/ or mexico visa / or Schengen visa...
Please come back and share with us ur experience.

I apologize, english is my second language, i hope that i was not rude.

Captain911

Jan 31, 2023
Hi Rachelm2000r,
Thank you for your answer.

I am still searching for information because the Mexico website says if you have a passport issued by Canada you don't need a visa.
All this information is a little confusing.
Nothing is confusing. Mexico embassy website says;

‘’’’
Permanent residents of Canada must present their Permanent Resident Card and one of the following documents: valid Passport or Refugee Travel Document.

All foreign visitors, regardless of their nationality, traveling to Mexico for tourism, business or in transit to another destination, are exempt from presenting a Mexican visa as long as they have a valid visa issued by any the following countries: Canada, Japan, the United States of America, the United Kingdom or any of the countries comprising the Schengen Area. ’’’’

Thats very clear. Good luck

Reactions: rachelm2000r

cbbcbcbbc

Nov 27, 2023
Has anyone been to Mexico without PR but possessing the blue travel document?
I have been to Germany with RTD and no PR, wondering if Mexico is the same.

thanks
NO, YOU CANNOT ENTER MEXICO OR OTHER COUNTRIES UNLESS THEY ANNOUNCE IT ON THEIR EMBASSY'S WEBPAGE. I went to Cancun, Mexico, with a Canadian blue passport without holding PR, and was deported to Canada. Wait for your PR and travel to countries that accept the PR card.

rachelm2000r

Star Member
Aug 19, 2023
NO, YOU CANNOT ENTER MEXICO OR OTHER COUNTRIES UNLESS THEY ANNOUNCE IT ON THEIR EMBASSY'S WEBPAGE. I went to Cancun, Mexico, with a Canadian blue passport without holding PR, and was deported to Canada. Wait for your PR and travel to countries that accept the PR card.
Hi
I just come back from vacations from cancun. RTD without PR card.
But i had a visa from schengen.
If you dont have a PR card yet but want to go to mexico ?
You need one visa from the following countries.
1) mexico tourism visa
2) USa tourism visa
3) Japon
4) u.k
5) schengen visa.

Is it clear enough ?

Reactions: B-Nice

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
Refugee travel document +no pr: you need visa
Refugee travel document +pr: no need visa
Refugee travel document +no pr +one of visa from us, Japan, Canada or shengen: no need visa (regardless your nationality) but visa stamped on rtd. Not work or study permits.

Arank

Dec 26, 2023
Hello experts,
Can I travel to mexico with just RTD? My pr is processing and i m Originally from Sri lanka. Your answer much appreciated

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you dont have shengen or us visa you cant travel to Mexico just with RTD
Just wanted to add if you had any of these visas before applying for asylum you need to verify that they haven’t been cancelled. Would start applying for as visa now if you want to travel in 2 months.