+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada refugee travel document; Mexico Cancun

Biochemist

Star Member
May 21, 2019
Has anyone been to Mexico without PR but possessing the blue travel document?
I have been to Germany with RTD and no PR, wondering if Mexico is the same.

thanks

Reactions: luckyrefugee

luckyrefugee

Mar 5, 2019
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CPC missisuaga
App. Filed.......
10-12-2019
AOR Received.
26-11-2020
Med's Request
19-04-2021
Med's Done....
19-04-2021
LANDED..........
21-04-2021

thanks
no idea. There are several statements on internet don’t know which to believe. Need to find someone who travelled. Between have u travelled to US or not yet I am sure pandamic changed everything

Reactions: Chris Bech

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
I asked the Embassy in Ottawa a similar question (Pre COVID-19) :

Hello,
I am a holder of the refugee travel documents and I wish to visit Mexico for tourism purposes and I am not sure if I need to obtain a visa to enter Mexico.

Please note that:
1 ) I am not a permanent residence
2) I have a USA's B1/B2 tourism visa on my refugee travel documents - Valid for 10 years.
And I got this response

Dear xxxx :

Good afternoon. As you can see in the official information, if you have a valid Travel Document and a US visa, you do not need a Mexican visa.

The Embassy of Mexico in Canada informs the public that Canadian nationals and permanent residents of Canada do not require a visa to enter Mexico.

Canadian nationals must present a valid passport to prove their nationality. Mexican authorities do not require a minimum period of validity of passports; nevertheless, this document must be valid at the time of entry and during the period you wish to be in Mexico.

Permanent residents of Canada must present their Permanent Resident Card and one of the following documents: valid Passport or Refugee Travel Document.

All foreign visitors, regardless of their nationality, traveling to Mexico for tourism, business or in transit to another destination, are exempt from presenting a Mexican visa as long as they have a valid visa issued by any the following countries: Canada, Japan, the United States of America, the United Kingdom or any of the countries comprising the Schengen Area.

To enter Mexican territory the above travellers must present:

1. A valid passport or travel document. Mexican authorities do not require a minimum period of validity of the passport; nevertheless, this document must be valid during the length of stay in Mexico.

2. A properly completed Multiple Migratory Form (FMM); this form will be provided to you by the airline or at the port of entry.

3. Migratory authorities at the port of entry may request documents proving the purpose of your trip, depending on the activity you will undertake in Mexico: tourism (hotel reservation, itinerary of your return or departure); business (letter in Spanish from the company indicating that you are an employee of the company and that the services you will provide in Mexico will be paid for by that company, or a letter of invitation from a public or private institution to perform non-remunerated activities in Mexico, indicating the purpose of the trip, estimated time of stay and taking responsibility for your travel and lodging costs); technicians (a copy of the contract for the transfer of technology, patents and brands, purchase of machinery and equipment, technical training of personnel, or any other related to the production process of a company established in Mexico); student (letter of invitation or acceptance from any institution pertaining to the National Educational System to take courses, conduct a research project or undertake academic training for a maximum period of 180 days.

Visitors on cruise ships

Visitors who travel on cruise ships that disembark at any Mexican port to visit the port and surrounding zones and embark on the same ship to continue their voyage, do not require a visa and will have collective permission under the category of “visitor without permission to conduct remunerated activities”, for a period of 21 calendar days.

FURTHER INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROCESS OF ENTERING MEXICO
At the point of entry, Mexico's immigration officers (INAMI) are the only authority that can accept or refuse the entry of any traveller into Mexico, regardless of whether the traveller has previously attained a visa or is exempt from obtaining one.

Please be aware of some of the questions you may be asked by viewing this document:

Cordially,

Embajada de México en Canadá / Embassy of Mexico in Canada

Ms. Leonor Yáñez

Asistente de la Sección Consular /

Assistant to the Consular Section

1000-45 O’Connor St. Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 1A4

t: (613) 787-5177 / (613) 233-8988 x 2236

https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/canada
I am not sure if you have any of the visas that mentioned on their list above, but if you do I would still advise to contact them to confirm that the Visa rules haven't changed with new Covid-19 restriction measures.

vagonbrei

Oct 27, 2020
If you have a RTD and no PR Card, you shouldn't need a visa for Mexico. A friend of mine is from Syria, he has a RTD and no PR card, he was able to enter Mexico no problem with just the RTD. They asked him more questions in Mexico. But he was allowed in.

Biochemist

Star Member
May 21, 2019
no idea. There are several statements on internet don’t know which to believe. Need to find someone who travelled. Between have u travelled to US or not yet I am sure pandamic changed everything
Hey

Yes I did use the USA visa to visit Miami on June 11th to June 30rd,

my experience is as follows:

I have been 17 times to the US before for work and school,
this was the 1st time I enter the US with RTD,

I approached US border in Pearson ariport, US border officers are already in the airport, so when you arrive in Miami there's no more checks

the officer that was checking my visa seemed not to be a citizen probably a green card holder which qualified him to join US customs and border protection, he had a heavy west african accent.

Anyways i put my fingers on the biometric thing he asks where's your passport, i said i only have rtd its my passport and thats why the visa is inside it,
he was confused which i get, but still comon your friends at the embassy already checked me for an entire month to give me the visa (this is because i hold a master's in engineering lol) so he calls the supervisor; a lady with a badge on her waist and dressed in casual clothes, not the USCBP uniform. she takes me into another room for investigations and contraband and asks me about my opinion on the FLoyd protests and black lives matter movement (can you believe this haha), i said i dont care about these issues, and i just want to go spend some money do a little shopping in miami and return to canada, she asked more Q's about what i studied, and then went back to do more checks, i told her my plane leaves in 40 minutes, she said we dont care (so rude), so i wait, she comes back again and says do you know anyone in the US, i said no, she said ok you are good to go.

i caught my plane 12 minutes before. Not really the best experience, but at least i went and had a good time,

there are no restrictions to fly to the USA no quarantine no nothing, coming back to canada i quarantined for 2 weeks.

florida i saw is very cheap, simple, and great sites and weather. Amazing houses with 5 bedrooms and pools go for 300k there, much better than Ontario haha.

Biochemist

Star Member
May 21, 2019
If you have a RTD and no PR Card, you shouldn't need a visa for Mexico. A friend of mine is from Syria, he has a RTD and no PR card, he was able to enter Mexico no problem with just the RTD. They asked him more questions in Mexico. But he was allowed in.
thank you for this confirmation,

nice to know he got mexico, and they let him in,

now im wondering how did the airlines let him board without PR card and just RTD (usually they check the consulate website or IATA website to confirm what is needed for RTD people, and if it shows PR needed then no boarding haha, what is the airlines name if possible,

i think maybe he printed boarding pass at home and checked in online and avoided the desk agents, and then just dealt with mexico border

Reactions: Chris Bech

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
Hey

I approached US border in Pearson ariport, US border officers are already in the airport, so when you arrive in Miami there's no more checks

the officer that was checking my visa seemed not to be a citizen probably a green card holder which qualified him to join US customs and border protection, he had a heavy west african accent.

Anyways i put my fingers on the biometric thing he asks where's your passport, i said i only have rtd its my passport and thats why the visa is inside it,
he was confused which i get, but still comon your friends at the embassy already checked me for an entire month to give me the visa (this is because i hold a master's in engineering lol) so he calls the supervisor; a lady with a badge on her waist and dressed in casual clothes, not the USCBP uniform. she takes me into another room for investigations and contraband and asks me about my opinion on the FLoyd protests and black lives matter movement (can you believe this haha), i said i dont care about these issues, and i just want to go spend some money do a little shopping in miami and return to canada, she asked more Q's about what i studied, and then went back to do more checks, i told her my plane leaves in 40 minutes, she said we dont care (so rude), so i wait, she comes back again and says do you know anyone in the US, i said no, she said ok you are good to go.

i caught my plane 12 minutes before. Not really the best experience, but at least i went and had a good time,

there are no restrictions to fly to the USA no quarantine no nothing, coming back to canada i quarantined for 2 weeks.

florida i saw is very cheap, simple, and great sites and weather. Amazing houses with 5 bedrooms and pools go for 300k there, much better than Ontario haha.
Humm that's not a normal experience IMO. Maybe because of Covid-19? As most people aren't travelling for leisure nowadays. Personally I travelled 3 times to the US with RTD and all of my encounters with US immigration officers were pleasant experience

luckyrefugee

Mar 5, 2019
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CPC missisuaga
App. Filed.......
10-12-2019
AOR Received.
26-11-2020
Med's Request
19-04-2021
Med's Done....
19-04-2021
LANDED..........
21-04-2021
Hey

That was somehow a great experience. i guess. i have family so am a bit overprotected for them. So have plans to visit miami may be near christmas. hopefully but going through airport is more hectic. seems once the border is open we can then have a good chance to save some $$$$ as well.

Biochemist

Star Member
May 21, 2019
I visited Cancun and im still here with no visa (US visa expired was (single entry), no shengen, no PR, Nada) whatsoever, and no questions asked.

A quick look at the outside of the RTD.... "this take u back canada?" I said "Si"

"ok".... stamps the RTD.... Viva mexico

i think the mexican consulates are just tryna make a quick 40 bucks off the poor refugees with RTD and no PR in canada lol

Same with the turks, my buddy flew there with the RTD no visa from germany, his original citizenship doesn't need visa (just online e-visa), and he argued that at the border his nationality doens't need a visa, a quick 60$ fee at the border in Ankara and he was in

Reactions: luckyrefugee

luckyrefugee

Mar 5, 2019
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CPC missisuaga
App. Filed.......
10-12-2019
AOR Received.
26-11-2020
Med's Request
19-04-2021
Med's Done....
19-04-2021
LANDED..........
21-04-2021
I visited Cancun and im still here with no visa (US visa expired was (single entry), no shengen, no PR, Nada) whatsoever, and no questions asked.

A quick look at the outside of the RTD.... "this take u back canada?" I said "Si"

i think the mexican consulates are just tryna make a quick 40 bucks off the poor refugees with RTD and no PR in canada lol

Same with the turks, my buddy flew there with the RTD no visa from germany, his original citizenship doesn't need visa (just online e-visa), and he argued that at the border his nationality doens't need a visa, a quick 60$ fee at the border in Ankara and he was in
I believe you got in because of your us visa ?

Biochemist

Star Member
May 21, 2019
I believe you got in because of your us visa ?
No mine was single entry and got expired already it was given for 3 months in march,
i'm from a country highly scrutinized nation by the US unfortunately and im stuck in the middle of these issues, depsite being protected and havent been there for over a decade
other nationalities with status here get 5-10 years as protected persons or PR (ex; india, paskitan etc

arvink

Jan 12, 2020

When did you travel to Mexico and how long did your RTD have to expire

Juanapaa

Aug 30, 2022
Hi Biochemist.

I hope everything goes well with you.
I wanted to ask you about your immigration process when leave Canada and arrive to Cancun. I want to make same trip (I already have tickets). Short brief: I am Colombian, with RTD, No PR, No visa, nothing. Only the RTD.
I emailed embassy, they answer I can't, I emailed consulate in Toronto they said I need visa. I emailed another consulate they said, they have not idea. (Nobody knows) that's why I want a person who live the experience.

I am gonna travel by Swoop. The girl in the front desk ask you for visa? Any problem when you arrived Cancun?

Tell me your story please I need someone who travel there and also, can you confirm your nationality (I am Colombian and I don't need visa to go there but obviously I have not my passport with me)

hb8895

May 9, 2022

thanks
Hi, I am planning to visit Germany with my RTD and I would like to know how you travelled to Germany with the RTD. Did you apply for a German visa? Or just bought an air ticket and fly to Germany without any visa? Your response is highly appreciated. Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Biochemist.

I hope everything goes well with you.
I wanted to ask you about your immigration process when leave Canada and arrive to Cancun. I want to make same trip (I already have tickets). Short brief: I am Colombian, with RTD, No PR, No visa, nothing. Only the RTD.
I emailed embassy, they answer I can't, I emailed consulate in Toronto they said I need visa. I emailed another consulate they said, they have not idea. (Nobody knows) that's why I want a person who live the experience.

I am gonna travel by Swoop. The girl in the front desk ask you for visa? Any problem when you arrived Cancun?

Tell me your story please I need someone who travel there and also, can you confirm your nationality (I am Colombian and I don't need visa to go there but obviously I have not my passport with me)
You’ll need to apply for a visa. You should be contacting the Mexican consulate or embassy in Canada for information about entry to Mexico