+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada express entry for asylum applicant in the U.S.A.

mishka2018

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
Yes,
Great news, Congratulation. :)

I guess its just a matter of waiting for the rest of us. As you could see my case was transferred to Montreal which tends to be slower in processing.
Yes, my case took 3 months to process , which is less than most of the applications. Which proves the theory that they don’t care about asylum pending somewhere else. My office was Ottawa .

Good luck to everyone, I’ll keep posted once I mail/receive my passport .

Garry1992

Star Member
May 10, 2018
Yes,

Yes, my case took 3 months to process , which is less than most of the applications. Which proves the theory that they don’t care about asylum pending somewhere else. My office was Ottawa .

Hey!

It’s Great news, i feel so relieved . Congratulations. Thanks for letting us know.

Kya

Oct 7, 2018
Yes,

Oh. Congratulation!!! i have been following this thread, i use the same consultant as you and same case asylum pending you give me hope

Reactions: GG1330

SawAbed

Apr 2, 2019
I have been following this thread . Here is my situation , I graduated from one of the US universities (Ph.D.). Currently, I am working as "a postdoc" at the same university under OPT status because I extending the I-20 (I came to the US by using the F-1 visa, and my I-20 still valid). In the same time I am still asylum- pending with no interview so far. While, at the same time, I still have the I-20 valid. Recently, I have got an official offer letter for an assistant professor job in one of the Canadian universities. Currently, I am in the process of applying for the work permit visa. My question does the asylum pending will affect my Canadian visa (I have put both information in the application of visa). Thank you all in advance.

mishka2018

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
I have been following this thread . Here is my situation , I graduated from one of the US universities (Ph.D.). Currently, I am working as "a postdoc" at the same university under OPT status because I extending the I-20 (I came to the US by using the F-1 visa, and my I-20 still valid). In the same time I am still asylum- pending with no interview so far. While, at the same time, I still have the I-20 valid. Recently, I have got an official offer letter for an assistant professor job in one of the Canadian universities. Currently, I am in the process of applying for the work permit visa. My question does the asylum pending will affect my Canadian visa (I have put both information in the application of visa). Thank you all in advance.
It might be an issue in your case , since you are trying to get a NON immigrant visa , where you (I assume) would have to demonstrate non immigrant intents , while your pending asylum in the US doesn’t appear to be like one from the Canadian stand point . But I am just assuming here ,you’d better talk a good immigration lawyer .

Reactions: SawAbed

SawAbed

Apr 2, 2019
It might be an issue in your case , since you are trying to get a NON immigrant visa , where you (I assume) would have to demonstrate non immigrant intents , while your pending asylum in the US doesn’t appear to be like one from the Canadian stand point . But I am just assuming here ,you’d better talk a good immigration lawyer .
I talk with my lawyer and she mention that he still need to mention the asylum pending status and in the same time provide all the documents that prove I will not stay without status in Canada

mishka2018

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
I talk with my lawyer and she mention that he still need to mention the asylum pending status and in the same time provide all the documents that prove I will not stay without status in Canada
Well, yes - that’s not even a question if you should hide your pending asylum or not - you must mention it . I’m just saying that you can apply for your visa of course , but the risk of denial is a bit higher than if you wouldn’t have asylum case pending in the US . But it shouldn’t stop you from trying ! Good luck .

Reactions: SawAbed

SawAbed

Apr 2, 2019
Well, yes - that’s not even a question if you should hide your pending asylum or not - you must mention it . I’m just saying that you can apply for your visa of course , but the risk of denial is a bit higher than if you wouldn’t have asylum case pending in the US . But it shouldn’t stop you from trying ! Good luck .
Thanks ,good luck to everyone ,I will do my best and let you know of any updates

FPK

Apr 5, 2019
Hi Guys,
What a timely coincidence! Glad to have come across this. My spouse is the U.S Asylum Claimant. I will be the main applicant. So I take it won't affect the application. Could you please advise me on what documents my spouse may need to provide apart from education, medical and police letter from here and from the US?Will they be able to get the police letter from there? Thanks guys. Will appreciate any advice.

mishka2018

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
Hi Guys,
What a timely coincidence! Glad to have come across this. My spouse is the U.S Asylum Claimant. I will be the main applicant. So I take it won't affect the application. Could you please advise me on what documents my spouse may need to provide apart from education, medical and police letter from here and from the US?Will they be able to get the police letter from there? Thanks guys. Will appreciate any advice.
Do I understand correctly that you are not in the US with your spouse ? Depending on a country , consulate might give you a hard time to issue a police clearance certificate without a valid US visa (to prove that you are legally in the US and can request documents from your country consulate.) Also when you will receive ITA and actually apply for PR , Canada will request fingerprints from you and your spouse , and those fingerprints are taken at the USCIS office if you are in the US (yes yes , at the USCIS office for Canadian application). And they also will require proof of lawful presence in the US ( which in my case was work permit that I’ve received the through asylum ). Other than than that - I can’t recall any issues or documents required besides ones you’ve listed (don’t forget proof of funds as well). Good luck !

mishka2018

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
Status update : received my passport today with the PR visa and CORP !

Timeline :

EE profile created : October 29th
ITA: October 30th
Applied for PR : December 28th
AOR : December 28th
PPR: March 28th
Passport sent to Ottawa : April 8th
Passport and CORP received : April 19th

Holyange

Aug 17, 2018
Do I understand correctly that you are not in the US with your spouse ? Depending on a country , consulate might give you a hard time to issue a police clearance certificate without a valid US visa (to prove that you are legally in the US and can request documents from your country consulate.) Also when you will receive ITA and actually apply for PR , Canada will request fingerprints from you and your spouse , and those fingerprints are taken at the USCIS office if you are in the US (yes yes , at the USCIS office for Canadian application). And they also will require proof of lawful presence in the US ( which in my case was work permit that I’ve received the through asylum ). Other than than that - I can’t recall any issues or documents required besides ones you’ve listed (don’t forget proof of funds as well). Good luck !
For your fingerprints you can go to VACs or ASCs centers. If you are in the USA and you don’t have a legal status you can give your biometrics at a VACs centers.It is only at ASCs centers that you need to have a legal status in the USA to go there. Also for FBI police certificates, you only need to send your fingerprints to the FBI. I don’t think a person needs to be present in the USA to get a FBI police certificate.

mishka2018

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
For your fingerprints you can go to VACs or ASCs centers. If you are in the USA and you don’t have a legal status you can give your biometrics at a VACs centers.It is only at ASCs centers that you need to have a legal status in the USA to go there. Also for FBI police certificates, you only need to send your fingerprints to the FBI. I don’t think a person needs to be present in the USA to get a FBI police certificate.
Yep, person doesn’t need to be in the US to receive the FBI check , I assume the issue here is that one of the spouses is in the US with pending asylum case and not able to travel ,more of a problem is to receive police clearance from your native country through the consulate (my friend is from India , they refused to issue him any assistance since he had no valid visa , so he had to give power of attorney to his parents , so they could get certificate from India for him and send it here). But that’s may be different from case to case . As of finger prints : VAC can be an option I guess ! In my case there was no a single VAC available around (only in NY) , had to go to USCIS visa supporting center .

In any case most of the possible issues are not critical and could be solved .

FPK

Apr 5, 2019
Thanks for the response. Yes, I am not in the US but my spouse is and is on pending asylum case. I will be the applicant for EE. Was just wondering if his status will affect my application.

FPK

Apr 5, 2019
Oh okay. This is very helpful. Thank you