+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we apply for Student visa & EE at the same time? Please help. Confused

missylindy

Apr 29, 2016
Just to add to this thread, fkl's advice was spot on. I applied for a student visa, whilst in the EE pool. I was honest and upfront about being in the EE pool. My student visa was approved in 1 week with no need for further information. Anyone using a lawyer that has advised withdrawing an EE profile on the basis that it reduces the chances of getting a student visa should probably look for a new lawyer.
hi thank you for your post. i am in the EE pool and i applied for study permit and was refused based on purpose of visit. now i dont really know if the reason was because i am already in the EE Pool and i did not state it in my SOP. My kids and spouse already have 5 yrs TRV and we have also been to Canada for a visit.
Please Do i have to mention my EE profile in the SOP? Does having a relative who is a citizen in Canada affect the study permit application?

Last edited:

missylindy

Apr 29, 2016
hi Seoultrain,
thank you for your post. i am in the EE pool and i applied for study permit and was refused based on purpose of visit. now i dont really know if the reason was because i am already in the EE Pool and i did not state it in my SOP. My kids and spouse already have 5 yrs TRV and we have also been to Canada for a visit.
Please Do i have to mention my EE profile in the SOP? Does having a relative who is a citizen in Canada affect the study permit application?

Fujiyama

Sep 22, 2017
Just to add to this thread, fkl's advice was spot on. I applied for a student visa, whilst in the EE pool. I was honest and upfront about being in the EE pool. My student visa was approved in 1 week with no need for further information. Anyone using a lawyer that has advised withdrawing an EE profile on the basis that it reduces the chances of getting a student visa should probably look for a new lawyer.
hi,
I am glad to hear you got your permit. Which country did you apply from?
Thanks,

BenLinus6

Feb 20, 2017
I applied for both this spring and everything was good. I obtained Study Permit, though my PR application is still in progress...

Fujiyama

Sep 22, 2017
I applied for both this spring and everything was good. I obtained Study Permit, though my PR application is still in progress...
Thank you for the reply. Did you acknowledge the fact that you have applied for PR or not? if yes, how did you show the office that you will go back after your study? and one last question, which country you are applying from?
Thanks for your help!

BenLinus6

Feb 20, 2017
Thank you for the reply. Did you acknowledge the fact that you have applied for PR or not? if yes, how did you show the office that you will go back after your study? and one last question, which country you are applying from?
Thanks for your help!
You are welcome! I applied from Russia. Firtsly I received ITA, then after several days applied for student visa. I answered "no" to the question about previous applications, because official application is when you send e-APR (if you did it, I guess yes is the only right answer). After I got the visa, I sent e-APR and answered "yes" about previous applications.
Though, they see your applicational activity anyway. At the airport, when I obtained Study permit itself, an officer asked (or stated) that I also applied for permanent residence.
I didn't say I will go back as it isn't true. I said that my PhD will allow me to find a job in North America or other parts of the world.
Maybe it went good because I applied for a funded PhD program. I'm not sure how it will work out in other cases...

Reactions: Yaha14 and Dghosh

Dghosh

Nov 17, 2017
You are welcome! I applied from Russia. Firtsly I received ITA, then after several days applied for student visa. I answered "no" to the question about previous applications, because official application is when you send e-APR (if you did it, I guess yes is the only right answer). After I got the visa, I sent e-APR and answered "yes" about previous applications.
Though, they see your applicational activity anyway. At the airport, when I obtained Study permit itself, an officer asked (or stated) that I also applied for permanent residence.
I didn't say I will go back as it isn't true. I said that my PhD will allow me to find a job in North America or other parts of the world.
Maybe it went good because I applied for a funded PhD program. I'm not sure how it will work out in other cases...
Hey
I have a similar situation in hand. I wished to ask that can i initiate PR proceedings in my home country and then after changing place of residence can I continue my application in canada, in the meantime enter canada with student visa?

Dghosh

Nov 17, 2017
Dear BenLinus6

Furthermore what is your present status in Canada? Did you recieved PR status during study itself?

haritha_s

Mar 18, 2018
Thanks everyone who has clarified that applying to a study permit while having an EE application is possible.

What about the other side of it? That is, once you have a study permit, and you're studying in Canada, and when they're evaluating your PR application (which you had created earlier), will they be concerned about the fact that you're a student and therefore you won't be joining the workforce soon? Will that make them want to refuse the PR application?

Dghosh

Nov 17, 2017
Thanks everyone who has clarified that applying to a study permit while having an EE application is possible.

What about the other side of it? That is, once you have a study permit, and you're studying in Canada, and when they're evaluating your PR application (which you had created earlier), will they be concerned about the fact that you're a student and therefore you won't be joining the workforce soon? Will that make them want to refuse the PR application?
No if you are applying through a different login Id portal on cic website. But if after getting approved for student visa you also are successful in clearing draw for ITA then you need to submit scan copy of student visa along with other documentation.

naina17955

Mar 27, 2018
Hi, seoultrain, i know this post is old however i am in the same situation, i was in the EE pool which was withdrawn, now i am applying for study permit so in the IMM1294 form i have doubt about the background question
'' Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada'' so am i supposed to answer it as YES or NO. and if i say NO can i comment in teh box saying i had a profile which i withdrew along with the reason.

Gooogly

Nov 21, 2016
Hello, i have received ITA & planning to submit e-Apr this week in shaaAallah. Now i hv also received offer letter for master, class starts in sept. I am planning to apply for study permit also as there is no guarantee of pr. Now should i apply with the same gckey & ucl? Can i use the same proof of fund for both applications? Do i need to do a separate medical?

zanazaka

May 25, 2018

Could you assist and tell me on whether I need to make two GC Key accounts? One account for study permit and one for Express Entry?

OR

I already have an account with my Express Entry profile, can I make another application of study permit within the same account?

Gooogly

Nov 21, 2016
Hello, I have applied for pr & also want to apply for study permit this fall18 in sha Aallah,
1. Do I need to make another GC Key account?
2. Can I use my UCI number that I got from e-APR for study permit?
3. I want to mention in my study plan question that I will return to my country if I don't get pr. is that ok?
@fkl , @sby123.
Thank you

Last edited:

Jach001

May 27, 2018
"
Having two intents – one for temporary residence and one for permanent residence – is legitimate. This section addresses how to apply subsection A22(2) of the IRPA to the decision-making process, and to clarify that the issue of dual intent affects all categories of immigration applications.

A22(2) states “An intention by a foreign national to become a permanent resident does not preclude them from becoming a temporary resident if the officer is satisfied that they will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for their stay.” Dual intent is present when a foreign national who has applied for permanent residence in Canada also applies to enter Canada for a temporary period as a visitor, worker or student. Dual intent on the part of the applicant is therefore not prima facie grounds for refusal of temporary resident status."

Follow this link for dual intent on the CIC website for more details https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/dual-intent-applicants.html.

Everything is clearly explained there.