+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my parents land at pearson and immediately leave Canada on the next flight?

minecraftwonderness

Star Member
Dec 24, 2018
Due to some family related matters my parents have to be in India. But ircc said they will lose their PR if they don't validate their pr by completing landing procedure next month.

I'm not in Canada now and won't be back until next year Jan (work related)

My parents aren't very teksavvy and they won't be able to follow through the medical stuff like quarantine if needed etc completing a virtual test if they asked etc on day 8 or day 10.

Initially i planned for them to stay at my friend's place but she left Canada as well.

So instead of actually going out of the airport after landing, can they be in pearson buy their next meals at the airport and return on the next available flight back to India?
I will apply for the permanent resident travel documents later next year with their landing paper and bring them with me.

Is this legal to do? I'm so worried about the arrivecan crap as my dad and mom barely speak English. If there's any additional thing they ask to do which will only be a factor it they entered Toronto and stayed there. Can i avoid that altogether just have them return immediately after landing? (Due to the arrivecan stuff they don't really care for PR at this point and the way Canada had declined recently with how things are, like the violation of charter rights. But since we've come this far, I'm the one asking them to just get this over with and hoping things will get better soon.)

They do have 10 year travel visa and have been to Canada before and stayed with me for 6 months.

Please suggest your advice.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Due to some family related matters my parents have to be in India. But ircc said they will lose their PR if they don't validate their pr by completing landing procedure next month.

My parents aren't very teksavvy and they won't be able to follow through the medical stuff like quarantine if needed etc completing a virtual test if they asked etc on day 8 or day 10.

Initially i planned for them to stay at my friend's place but she left Canada as well.

So instead of actually going out of the airport after landing, can they be in pearson buy their next meals at the airport and return on the next available flight back to India?
I will apply for the permanent resident travel documents later next year with their landing paper and bring them with me.

Is this legal to do? I'm so worried about the arrivecan crap as my dad and mom barely speak English. If there's any additional thing they ask to do which will only be a factor it they entered Toronto and stayed there. Can i avoid that altogether just have them return immediately after landing? (Due to the arrivecan stuff they don't really care for PR at this point and the way Canada had declined recently with how things are, like the violation of charter rights. But since we've come this far, I'm the one asking them to just get this over with and hoping things will get better soon.)

They do have 10 year travel visa and have been to Canada before and stayed with me for 6 months.

Yes, they can technically do this with some caveats.

- They need to be fully vaccinated. Otherwise they must quarantine after arrival in Canada.
- Even if they are fully vaccinated, there is still some chance they may be selected for random testing.
- Someone can help them enter everything into arrivecan before they leave. This should be extremely easy to solve.
- They have to be able to navigate the airport and landing process on their own to at least some extent. Airports do have interpreters to help of course.
- They would need to complete landing, pick up their luggage, leave the secure / immigration area after landing, and check themselves into their next flight. So technically they will need to enter Canada as part of the landing process. Once they are outside of the secure area, you could of course meet them and help them check into their next fligth and walk them to the security gates.

***EDIT: just realized you are not in Canada. A friend or other family member could then technically help them at the airport once they are outside of the secure zone.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
They sure can do soft landing (not staying in canada after they have entered into the country). But this will not avoid any of the Arrive Can app or any of the quarantine policy or testing (if required).
As replied, they need to check into their next flight after clearing security and immigration. And re-enter into secure area again to bord their returning flight.

Ketobaby

Star Member
Feb 2, 2022
Yes, they can technically do this with some caveats.

- They need to be fully vaccinated. Otherwise they must quarantine after arrival in Canada.
- Even if they are fully vaccinated, there is still some chance they may be selected for random testing.
- Someone can help them enter everything into arrivecan before they leave. This should be extremely easy to solve.
- They have to be able to navigate the airport and landing process on their own to at least some extent. Airports do have interpreters to help of course.
- They would need to complete landing, pick up their luggage, leave the secure / immigration area after landing, and check themselves into their next flight. So technically they will need to enter Canada as part of the landing process. Once they are outside of the secure area, you could of course meet them and help them check into their next fligth and walk them to the security gates.

***EDIT: just realized you are not in Canada. A friend or other family member could then technically help them at the airport once they are outside of the secure zone.
Per my experience (as long as they can proof they are fully vaccinated) even if they are randomly selected for testing they do not need to quarantine till their results comes out, they are free to move around. Only issue is; they need to complete and submit the test within X amount of days after thier arrival or they'd keep getting calls.

I am the lucky one that ALWAYS gets selected for random testing, it just prolongs your airport navigation time. My last trip in June they let me take the test home, I do not believe they offer onsite anymore.

minecraftwonderness

Star Member
Dec 24, 2018
How long have you been outside Canada? It looks like it could have been quite a long time.
Why does it matter? I work for a Canadian company pay taxes in Ontario every pay cheque, get my payroll in Scotiabank, and I pay mortgages for a house that I rent out to. It is just convenient for me to be here outside Canada for a few more months so I can attend my brother's wedding. My company doesn't require me to physically be there but virtually we have meetings all day long, although there is no difference if I were there or not, I still pay every bit of taxes I am supposed to pay. Also I on the side, weekend work for an Australian company, and they also pay into my Canadian bank account. I think if I consider myself as self employed and get my contract changed, I might save a lot more money on taxes in Canada, but I didn't want to do that.

KJH85

Star Member
Mar 8, 2022

It's my understanding that the Arrive Can app will no longer be mandatory at the end of this month. There are several news articles about it if you want to look it up, here is a link for one source https://www.cimmigrationnews.com/arrivecan-to-become-optional-vaccine-requirements-to-be-scrapped-for-travellers-to-canada/amp/

If they arrive after this date they should be ok whether or not they are vaccinated and will not be required to use the app upon arrival. Hope this helps.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why does it matter? I work for a Canadian company pay taxes in Ontario every pay cheque, get my payroll in Scotiabank, and I pay mortgages for a house that I rent out to. It is just convenient for me to be here outside Canada for a few more months so I can attend my brother's wedding. My company doesn't require me to physically be there but virtually we have meetings all day long, although there is no difference if I were there or not, I still pay every bit of taxes I am supposed to pay. Also I on the side, weekend work for an Australian company, and they also pay into my Canadian bank account. I think if I consider myself as self employed and get my contract changed, I might save a lot more money on taxes in Canada, but I didn't want to do that.
How long you have been out of Canada determines whether you still qualify for PGP since the program is to reunite children living in Canada with their parents. How long you live outside Canada can also impact how you should be taxed by an employer and the government. Being a digital nomad outside of Canada maybe fine for your employer although they should also be changing how they pay you if you aren’t living in Canada for 6-7+ months. I assume you haven’t notified CRA that you have spent X amount of time out of Canada if you have been outside for 6-7 months. If you are renting your home I assume you have not been out of Canada for a few months but longer. Again the goal is to reunite parents with children who are living in Canada.

Doom__V

May 6, 2018
You also need to take care that border agent will ask for the address for mailing PR card which should be a Canadian address and parents should not tell agent that they’ll leave country in next 5 hours. Agent might not be happy

comarxx

Jan 12, 2012
Manila
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's my understanding that the Arrive Can app will no longer be mandatory at the end of this month. There are several news articles about it if you want to look it up, here is a link for one source https://www.cimmigrationnews.com/arrivecan-to-become-optional-vaccine-requirements-to-be-scrapped-for-travellers-to-canada/amp/

If they arrive after this date they should be ok whether or not they are vaccinated and will not be required to use the app upon arrival. Hope this helps.
I came back in July 2022. They did not even checked my Arrivecan at the airport when I came back home after 11 months of absence in Canada.

minecraftwonderness

Star Member
Dec 24, 2018
How long you have been out of Canada determines whether you still qualify for PGP since the program is to reunite children living in Canada with their parents. How long you live outside Canada can also impact how you should be taxed by an employer and the government. Being a digital nomad outside of Canada maybe fine for your employer although they should also be changing how they pay you if you aren’t living in Canada for 6-7+ months. I assume you haven’t notified CRA that you have spent X amount of time out of Canada if you have been outside for 6-7 months. If you are renting your home I assume you have not been out of Canada for a few months but longer. Again the goal is to reunite parents with children who are living in Canada.

Ahhh it's you! Most of your posts are just posting fire, saying things that just scare people, assuming people are scammers outright trying to scam the government. Also you assume too much and speculate and this only happens because based on your post history you are always assuming people are dishonest.

I have always rented out my house, in the suburbs. I never lived there. I lived in Condo while I was staying there, and paid rent. And you are wrong, CRA has my current foreign address and they seem to be fine with it. The employer couldn't care less where I am, I pay for EI, I pay everything more than a normal Canadian (at the time most of them are unemployed) You see I get nothing paying taxes in Canada while not enjoying anything that an average Canadian does. I am okay with it. I don't have to give you any of these info, and this thread is not even about that. My parents will soft land and return and we will go back to Canada after my brother's marriage. I am technically an Ontario tax paying resident with ties to Canada where I keep all my finances. I am a Canadian citizen not PR. I can travel to Canada next week if I wanted to, no big deal, it wouldn't make a difference if I sit at my goodlife lobby and finish my work on the wifi or at a starbucks all day, have a nice work out and return back to India for my brother's wedding. When I return after my brother's wedding, we will move to my house for a few months.

Last edited:

minecraftwonderness

Star Member
Dec 24, 2018
I came back in July 2022. They did not even checked my Arrivecan at the airport when I came back home after 11 months of absence in Canada.
YEAH!! I heard about this, which I thought was a rumor. I think it hasn't been made official yet, let's see lol Pierre Poilievre...THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Will have to wait what happens this week for any official announcement and update on travel.gc website.

8thwonder

Sep 25, 2022
Ahhh it's you! Most of your posts are just posting fire, saying things that just scare people, assuming people are scammers outright trying to scam the government. Also you assume too much and speculate and this only happens because based on your post history you are always assuming people are dishonest.

I have always rented out my house, in the suburbs. I never lived there. I lived in Condo while I was staying there, and paid rent. And you are wrong, CRA has my current foreign address and they seem to be fine with it. The employer couldn't care less where I am, I pay for EI, I pay everything more than a normal Canadian (at the time most of them are unemployed) You see I get nothing paying taxes in Canada while not enjoying anything that an average Canadian does. I am okay with it. I don't have to give you any of these info, and this thread is not even about that. My parents will soft land and return and we will go back to Canada after my brother's marriage. I am technically an Ontario tax paying resident with ties to Canada where I keep all my finances. I am a Canadian citizen not PR. I can travel to Canada next week if I wanted to, no big deal, it wouldn't make a difference if I sit at my goodlife lobby and finish my work on the wifi or at a starbucks all day, have a nice work out and return back to India for my brother's wedding. When I return after my brother's wedding, we will move to my house for a few months.

are you sure about this? Im going thru the same but I just left Canada parents will complete immigration and go straight to my apartment return after soft landing. I wont be away for long. I didnt see anywhere that Canadians are not allowed to travel or go on a vacation on CIC website if the sponsorship application has been approved. plz post updates on their progress

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
are you sure about this? Im going thru the same but I just left Canada
See here:
You are eligible if you live in Canada.

Note, this does not say "resident" for tax purposes, but live in Canada.

Yes, this certainly does not mean that one cannot go for trips abroad. The equivalent for spousal sponsorship specifically says short trips are ok.

So up to you. My reading is that they can disqualify a sponsor for not living (physically) in Canada. Applications for spousal sponsorship have been refused on this basis. (Note, this part of spousal sponsorship eligibility does not apply to citizens, but this carve-out for citizens does not seem to apply to PGP).

This is not a legal analysis. Do your own research. My view is that it would be risky to rely on some other reading like saying "I am a tax resident" (which is a defined term that applies to tax matters, and is not used nor referred to in the relevant IRCC legislation).

minecraftwonderness

Star Member
Dec 24, 2018
See here:
You are eligible if you live in Canada.

Note, this does not say "resident" for tax purposes, but live in Canada.

Yes, this certainly does not mean that one cannot go for trips abroad. The equivalent for spousal sponsorship specifically says short trips are ok.

So up to you. My reading is that they can disqualify a sponsor for not living (physically) in Canada. Applications for spousal sponsorship have been refused on this basis. (Note, this part of spousal sponsorship eligibility does not apply to citizens, but this carve-out for citizens does not seem to apply to PGP).

This is not a legal analysis. Do your own research. My view is that it would be risky to rely on some other reading like saying "I am a tax resident" (which is a defined term that applies to tax matters, and is not used nor referred to in the relevant IRCC legislation).
I totally understand what you are saying. But I am not someone who left Canada permanently, Toronto is my home and eventhough I am in India now, everything I do everyday is related to working in Toronto, the people I talk to etc. I don't even sleep per Indian time. My question is, I consider myself living in Canada, except that I came here after a very long time of living in Canada, and thought it would be nice to spend time with siblings and relatives. The tickets were so expensive for me to return a few months back. My parents do not want to go to Canada at all, we even asked if they would extend their COPR. But Ircc refused saying it has to be now or it's over. They are just going to land to get this over with and then in a couple of months I will be back in Toronto, probably won't leave for many years to come. I saw a lot of posts about proving the officer with intent to return, and most of the responses were prove that you show you were looking for a job etc. But I already have a job with my Canadian address. I'm not a free lancer, I'm a full time employee with permanent job. My colleage is Italian and I know he has been working in my company for 3 years now from his country country, but he's Canadian as well. Those questions were asked by people who just applied for the process. I was in Canada throught their process. Due to Covid their COPR expired, realistically speaking. Why would I be punished for that, that I should remain in my condo until my parents land PR?

All of these requirements were during the processing to qualify the sponsor. When someone lands, will the CBSA officer ask to talk to the sponsor over the phone? Aren't the COPR holders allowed to travel with their PRV and provide an address to receive their PR cards? At what point a CBSA officer will ask to speak to me. I mean I can't even go inside the airport if I were there to be with them during the landing process.

It seems very restrictive for Canadians that they have to be in Canada when someone lands. I was going to take this tour regardless, but if I didn't work, I won't get paid. To me why would lose money sitting here, I am with my family and I am still employed, my company only allows certian days off, and they cannot afford to hire someone else to do my job due to the nature of my job as I built most of the stuff from scratch. I am only seen as a digital nomad because I work from here. I work from here because it benefits me and the company, where I get to be with my family for a short period of time and my company cannot afford to rebuild the entire rigs from scratch with a different artist. I'm going to be back as soon as my brother gets married.

Will the CBSA officer ask my parents if the sponsor is waiting for you at the arrival area?