+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my Ex girlfriend cancel my perment resident card?

55bobby

Feb 21, 2018
Hi, I have a question regarding my PR status

My girlfriend at the time sponsered me and we moved back to Canada from Ireland, were we were for a year. Last August we moved back to Canada. I was issued my Permenent Residence at the end of November.They said the card will be posted to my ex girlfriends address in the next 3 months.

So then after Christmas we broke up and i moved back home to Ireland, in January due to the break up. My mental state wasnt great and i had no money. My family had to wire me money for my flight home.

Wondering, can my ex, cancel my PR card? What if they got it can they throw it away? Can they do that?

Is there anyway i can find out about getting my PR card send to my address in Ireland?

Do i have the right to be able to go back to Canada?

My ex hasnt mention anything about my card arriving at her home?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can apply for a replacement card. However CIC won't send the card outside of Canada. It can only be mailed to a Canadian address.

Your girlfriend cannot cancel your PR status - only CIC can cancel your PR status. Theoretically your girlfriend could submit a complaint to CIC claiming that you used her to obtain PR status in Canada. However CIC wouldn't simply take her word for this and would provide you with an opportunity to prove otherwise.

55bobby

Feb 21, 2018
You can apply for a replacement card. However CIC won't send the card outside of Canada. It can only be mailed to a Canadian address.

Your girlfriend cannot cancel your PR status - only CIC can cancel your PR status. Theoretically your girlfriend could submit a complaint to CIC claiming that you used her to obtain PR status in Canada. However CIC wouldn't simply take her word for this and would provide you with an opportunity to prove otherwise.

Thanks, for the help, what info do i need, She did all the paper work. Can i just ring them up and explain my situation to them of what happened?
I have my Sheet with details that im a permenent residence when we crossed the border into the states .

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks, for the help, what info do i need, She did all the paper work. Can i just ring them up and explain my situation to them of what happened?
I have my Sheet with details that im a permenent residence when we crossed the border into the states .
There's no one you can call. If you don't have your PR card, you'll need to apply for a replacement once you are physically back in Canada.

Be aware that you need to live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years to keep your PR status.

Reactions: Lovely_Wings

55bobby

Feb 21, 2018
There's no one you can call. If you don't have your PR card, you'll need to apply for a replacement once you are physically back in Canada.

Be aware that you need to live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years to keep your PR status.
I taught you could call CIC. Dont no when i be back in Canada. I taught you cant enter the country if you dont have your card on you?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I taught you could call CIC. Dont no when i be back in Canada. I taught you cant enter the country if you dont have your card on you?
You have two options for entering Canada.

You can either apply for a PR Travel Document from outside of Canada and then enter Canada using the PRTD once it's approved. Or you can fly to the US and enter Canada through a land border using your COPR / landing document.

CIC does have a call centre but it's for basic questions only. They won't be able to help at all with your issue. They will simply tell you to apply for a replacement PR card once you're in Canada.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just to follow up on this if you obtained your initial PR in November 2017 ignoring the couple of months through Nov/Dec you could stay away until around end October 2020 before your PR status can become an issue should you return after that. Plus the the later you leave it the more time you would need to stay without leaving to reset your residency obligation to meet the 2 out of 5 rule.

So whilst mentally and financially you may not be in a good place right now , who knows in the next few years when you might want to take up this life changing opportunity . As Scylla has said there are ways around not having the PR card in hand to be able to return

Good luck anyway.

Reactions: Coco7

DreamMagii

Jul 11, 2012
My brazilian friend who was spousal sponsored, had a relationship breakup one month after he received his PR card, and following the breakup his partner reported the relationship ending to CIC due to being upset. When my brazilian friend arrived at the port of entry, entry was revoked. Of course, this is secondhand hearsay. But i would suggest you research whether you are required to remain in your spousal relationship, if she sponsored you, in order to retain your PR status?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My brazilian friend who was spousal sponsored, had a relationship breakup one month after he received his PR card, and following the breakup his partner reported the relationship ending to CIC due to being upset. When my brazilian friend arrived at the port of entry, entry was revoked. Of course, this is secondhand hearsay. But i would suggest you research whether you are required to remain in your spousal relationship, if she sponsored you, in order to retain your PR status?
Your friend likely lost his status based on Condition 51, which has since been repealed; it required that the Principal Applicant cohabit with the sponsor for 2 years after landing. If a relationship ended before the 2 years, the person could have their PR status revoked.

55bobby

Feb 21, 2018
Thanks all for the help. |Other day i ask my ex if my PR card arrived and if she could send it to me in Ireland. She phoned immigration to ask about or situation and whta was best to do now that we are not together and they told her to return it, so she did. She said you can contact them directly if you need ore information.Se said you legally have PR in Canada.

what be my best way to go about getting my PR card? Can i contact the london visa office, thats were it was issued from?

Wondering is she telling the truth? Taught she would of send it on to me.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

55bobby

Feb 21, 2018
You will need to apply for a replacement PR card. You can only do that from within Canada and it can only be sent to a Canadian address.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/apply-renew-replace.html

Is that the only way damn. But how do i enter Canada without it? Probaly ask this question already. No point in ringing up or contacting IRCC and re issue my card and send to another address in Canada? Then they can send it to me in Ireland?

55bobby

Feb 21, 2018
Can she legally re send by PR card back to immigration office? Would that be in Canada or London were she send it back?
SO my card is send back waiting in a office for me? Could i just ask to send it to an adress in or canada. Ranting here! Confused about the whole situation here.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is that the only way damn. But how do i enter Canada without it? Probaly ask this question already. No point in ringing up or contacting IRCC and re issue my card and send to another address in Canada? Then they can send it to me in Ireland?
IRCC will NOT send a PR card outside of Canada. There is no point asking. This is a hard/fast rule.

As already mentioned earlier in this thread, to return to Canada, you would need to apply for a PR Travel Document. Once you are in Canada, you can then apply for a replacement PR card.

Instructions on how to apply for a PR Travel Document are here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-travel-document.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can she legally re send by PR card back to immigration office? Would that be in Canada or London were she send it back?
SO my card is send back waiting in a office for me? Could i just ask to send it to an adress in or canada. Ranting here! Confused about the whole situation here.
Once again, you need to apply for a replacement PR card. I'm not sure what's confusing. You've been given this answer a number of times now.