+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i sponsor my brother?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I have three sisters ages 19 , 21 and 22.
What would be the best way to bring them over here.
Also I am married and planing to bring my wife too.
I already have super Visa for parents.
Actually, if they meet LICO, it could be possible for them to include the two younger sisters with a PGP application. They would need to apply before the older of the 2 sisters reached 22 to lock in the age. The older sister would be out of luck and have to immigrate on their own accord.

GRAF

Mar 2, 2018
Actually, if they meet LICO, it could be possible for them to include the two younger sisters with a PGP application. They would need to apply before the older of the 2 sisters reached 22 to lock in the age. The older sister would be out of luck and have to immigrate on their own accord.
So if the application for PR is sent right before the sibling turns 22, the sibling would still be able to get the PR under the family class sponsorship?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
It would have to be Parent/Grand Parent sponsorship and yes she would be locked in if the application was recieved before her 22nd birthday.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would mean you need to apply and get picked for PGP and meet the LICO for 6 people for the past 3 years (if not in Quebec) if you also plan on sponsoring your wife.

mojairo121

Jun 26, 2018
You can only sponsor your adult brother if your parents are dead, you have no spouse/children you could sponsor and you have on Canadian citizen/PR relatives in the world.
I qualify under these circumstances, but I got a denial letter stating that my sister's income is not enough to sponsor me, immigration thinks that my wife and my three kids will accompany me to Canada that's why the income requirement is a bit steep for a family of 6. But my case is it will only be me coming to Canada my wife and kids will stay in the Phils. and when I am working and able sponsor them to come here I will be the one to apply for them. What other options I can take to go about from here? Please help..thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You can only sponsor your adult brother if your parents are dead, you have no spouse/children you could sponsor and you have on Canadian citizen/PR relatives in the world.
I qualify under these circumstances, but I got a denial letter stating that my sister's income is not enough to sponsor me, immigration thinks that my wife and my three kids will accompany me to Canada that's why the income requirement is a bit steep for a family of 6. But my case is it will only be me coming to Canada my wife and kids will stay in the Phils. and when I am working and able sponsor them to come here I will be the one to apply for them. What other options I can take to go about from here? Please help..thanks!
You have no other options. The refusal was correct. Your wife and children must be included in the family size count for LICO even if they are non-accompanying. You can try applying again if and when your sister makes enough money.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As said above, you were correctly refused. Your wife and three children must be included in the income calculation even if they aren't coming with you to Canada. One option is for your sister to wait until she makes enough money to cover six people and then to reapply. Another option is for you to qualify on your own through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry.

sarahle

Jun 17, 2018
I am a Permanent Resident and still single now. However, in future when i get married with a Canadian citizen and my parents will pass away at a certain time, then at that time will I be still qualified to sponsor my brother? Thanks so much for your advice!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am a Permanent Resident and still single now. However, in future when i get married with a Canadian citizen and my parents will pass away at a certain time, then at that time will I be still qualified to sponsor my brother? Thanks so much for your advice!
If you are married, no, you will not be able to sponsor your brother.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
If you want to sponsor your brother for PR, you will have to remain single, have no children, never get married or become common law until after your parents pass away and still remain single until your brother lands as PR.

Jan 6, 2019
My brother is awaiting his Permanent residence status. I am currently 17 years old and the status will probably be approved by the time I turn 18.
My brother has 3 children and a spouse. However I am not orphaned. Can he still sponsor me? if not, what other options are there?
What if he sponsors our mother first, can I come with?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Your brother won’t be able to sponsor you. To sponsor your mother, he will need to meet the income requirements for 3 years before he could attempt to apply to sponsor her. Realistically, the chances of you being 22 or older (and no longer an eligible dependant of your mother) are higher than the chances of your brother being able to sponsor her in time to include you.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
My brother is awaiting his Permanent residence status. I am currently 17 years old and the status will probably be approved by the time I turn 18.
My brother has 3 children and a spouse. However I am not orphaned. Can he still sponsor me? if not, what other options are there?
What if he sponsors our mother first, can I come with?
Your brother may be able to sponsor you as dependent of your mother (if both parents are alive and still married, he needs to sponsor both and include you as dependent) when applying for parent and grandparent sponsorship.

You are consider as a dependent as long as you stay single and is under 22 years old.

BUT to qualify, he needs to have 3 years of tax returned filed in Canada. So it depends if he was working in Canada before he became a PR. Or if his spouse is willing to co-sign the parent sponsorship and has enough combined income for the last 3 years.
If both of your parents are alive and married, your brother (and his spouse) need to meet income requirement for family of 5 (his current family) + 3 (your parents and you) = 8.
That's not very easy for a new immigrate.

The 2019 PGP is going to open up at the end of the month. So have a chat with our brother and his spouse.