+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get my PGWP extended, got 1 year instead of 3! HELP!

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
This thread is interesting.

I am wondering, if people who had the same issues, did they try contacting IRCC through an immigration lawyer? Would that be of any help?

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Hi, first of all, thanks for all your posts on (various) threads. It helped me a lot. I would be very grateful if you could give your inputs on my SP extension situation:

-I am planning to apply for study permit extension next year in April (current 1 yr program ending May 28, 2021 - official date as per LOA). All fees is paid for current program already.

- My next 1yr program will be starting September 2021

My scenario regarding proof of funds for SP Extension:

- After having paid my first semester fees (for program 2) which is around 6300 CAD. (Still left to pay around 5600 CAD for semester 2), I will be left with around 2000 CAD in my account.

- Apart from that I will be having around 9000 CAD in my GIC account (which is paid monthly around 800 CAD per month)

Question- So, are these funds enough? My second semester fees for program 2 is around 5600 CAD will still be left unpaid. Is it acceptable for SP extension??

Please tell me how much funds you have shown with your SP extension application !! And did you pay the whole year tuition before applying for a SP extension??

Thanks for reading. This is really making me anxious now. Any reply would be much appreciated.
Since it's a 1 year program ( new one ), your proof of funds have to show 1 year + 1 year living costs.
VO don't really look into it, but they always recommend you to have proof.
There have been extensions that were approved with merely 3,000 CAD in an account.
When I did my extension I showed 1 year tuition + living expenses. So I suggest you do the same.
You can even transfer money to your account, friends or family, and send it back later.

Last edited:
Reactions: ynandal99

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Thank you very much. This is what I'll do, get some money transferred in my account (or mother's a/c with a sponsorship affidavit) and show the balance certificate (is it ok or should I show the statement instead?)
Transfer money, and then print a statement and show that.

Reactions: ynandal99

jyos

Oct 14, 2020
Transfer money, and then print a statement and show that.

HI.

Would you happen to know if doing an 8 month course ( 2 sems - fall and winter) would qualify for a 1 year PGWP? and as such, would doing two such courses qualify for 3 year PGWP?

jyos

Oct 14, 2020
Hey, I am in same position and currently doing an online course of 1 year and as per my understanding of:

You’re completing 2 study programs
You can complete up to 50% of your total studies online (until April 30, 2021). To be able to do this

• you must complete both study programs from an eligible DLI within 2 years
  • one of the programs must have started between May and September 2020, and
  • each program must meet all PGWP eligibility requirements and be at least 8 months long
You must complete at least 50% of the combined length of the 2 programs in Canada.

So I understand that doing an 8 months would qualify you for 1 year program (thus 1 yr PGWP) only

AND

If you want to combine two such programs for 3 yr PGWP, then:

You have to come to Canada by April 30,2021 before taking another 8 + months (1 academic yr) program in order to be eligible to combine them both to get 3 yr PGWP.

Please correct me If I am wrong in my interpretation. I have also posted this for clarification in this forum as a new thread but no replies yet. Here is the link:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/combining-two-programs-first-one-started-in-sep-2020.708911/

HI

I am looking for Fall'21. Would the 8 month course staring in Sep '21 still be counted as being a year long?

Anju95

Mar 17, 2020
Hey! Not sure what happened with your case, but I was in a similar situation. I did 2 diploma programs of 1 year each and took a semester off between them. Ended up getting a 1 year work permit, called CIC and the agent sent my file for reconsideration. Within a month, I got my revised work permit of 3 years. Hopefully it worked out for you too :)
Hey! I am also in similar situation. My question from you is that if we got any email when agent put our file in reconsideration or when they will response or are they going to send me any email as i didnt get any email yet from them. Yesterday i got my approval letter and i got 2 year work permit insted of 3 year work permit. I also did 2 seperate one year programs and was eligible for 3 year work permit. Today i called cic, and when the agent has investigate my file , he said it just happen due to error and send my file for reconsideration.plzz reply

Awatts

Jun 26, 2019
Brampton
Category........
WP
Hey,
No, they don’t send any email when they send your file for reconsideration. The next thing you’ll receive is your updated work permit.

az9395

Dec 11, 2020
I am in the same situation. I did a Master of Engineering program in 4 semesters -16 months, no breaks. That's a 2 year equivalent course. I got PGWP 1 year instead of 3 years. Called CIC, they put a reconsideration request and I got a correspondence mail saying the request is sent to the office.

Anju95

Mar 17, 2020
I am in the same situation. I did a Master of Engineering program in 4 semesters -16 months, no breaks. That's a 2 year equivalent course. I got PGWP 1 year instead of 3 years. Called CIC, they put a reconsideration request and I got a correspondence mail saying the request is sent to the office.
Hey
But i didnt get any correspondence email yet. I called them on 8 december. They told me you will only get email when they will extend the validation of your work permit

az9395

Dec 11, 2020
Hey
But i didnt get any correspondence email yet. I called them on 8 december. They told me you will only get email when they will extend the validation of your work permit
Hey,
3 of my friends are also in the same issue. Only some get correspondence mail but regardless, all files go for reconsideration. They were told a time till this month's end for a decision. If anyone gets any update, I'll post over here. I too called on 8th December, no update yet.

Anju95

Mar 17, 2020
Hey,
3 of my friends are also in the same issue. Only some get correspondence mail but regardless, all files go for reconsideration. They were told a time till this month's end for a decision. If anyone gets any update, I'll post over here. I too called on 8th December, no update yet.
OK ok Thanks for reply

sri_pri

Sep 16, 2020
I also got approval letter with 3 year year work permit today..
Hi, Congrats on receiving the approval for 3 years. I am also planning to apply for reconsideration. Can you please let me know the duration given on your completion letter from university. Does it say "program duration is 12 to 24 months" or "program duration is 16 to 24 months". Can you please confirm this. Thanks.