+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get my PGWP extended, got 1 year instead of 3! HELP!

dhaliwalsik

Nov 27, 2017
I have completed masters program(2 years) in one year and just got 1 year work permit only. Mostly they gave 3 year PGWP but rarely they give 1 year. Is anyone faced same case? How to proceed here? please guide?

Sudheeru

Jan 31, 2020
:( I did have the date. My passport expires 2022. I got the PGWP for one year which will end this year. I really don't understand how they choose candidates and why they give some people three years and others one - even if the program was two years.
Hey brother i am in the same situation now. Can you please suggest what can i do. My friend’s got it for 3 years ,where I’ve received a 1 yr PGWP. Can you please suggest what can i do now

Sudheeru

Jan 31, 2020
I have completed masters program(2 years) in one year and just got 1 year work permit only. Mostly they gave 3 year PGWP but rarely they give 1 year. Is anyone faced same case? How to proceed here? please guide?
Hey yes. Am currently in similar situation

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Should've done it for 4 consecutive academic terms. Anything less and you are not eligible for 3 year PGWP

vish4501

Jun 13, 2018
I got 3 years work permit after applying for reconsideration. I just called CIC support and informed them that I'm eligible for 3 years work permit rather than 1 year. The reconsidered my case and I got updated work permit in 7 days.
Hello

Congrats on your 3 year pgwp !
I have two question here..

I am doing my masters from DLI university and I have done in 4 terms (without any break) and my masters course states 2 year program...
so would i be eligible for 3 year or 16 month?

Is the pgwp issued till the expiration date of passport or can it be renewed?

Thanks in advance

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
If someone gets 1 year PGWP after an year worths of course in Canada. During the 1 year period if the person finds a job - can the employer extend work permit or apply a different category of work permit?

I am asking on behalf of someone and they would need at least 1 year of canada's work ex to get enough points for express entry.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If someone gets 1 year PGWP after an year worths of course in Canada. During the 1 year period if the person finds a job - can the employer extend work permit or apply a different category of work permit?

I am asking on behalf of someone and they would need at least 1 year of canada's work ex to get enough points for express entry.
The employer needs to get a positive LMIA in order for the person to apply for another work permit.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
How likely / unlikely is for a typical employer to get LMIA for an employee - i know it can be case specefic, but asking in general
Extremely unlikely. It is a complicated and expensive process.

vkottawa

Apr 25, 2020
Hello everyone. I did my masters from university of Ottawa in January 2020. I applied for PGWP but instead of 3 years i received only 15 months. Can somebody please help me to know how to overturn this?

vkottawa

Apr 25, 2020
How long was your masters?
It is a 2 year course. My completion certificate states that clearly. I completed in 3 terms and 1 scheduled summer break. However when I applied I forgot to add proof provided by my university for scheduled break. Also when I applied university denied to write duration of program in completion certificate. May be that could be reason

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is a 2 year course. My completion certificate states that clearly. I completed in 3 terms and 1 scheduled summer break. However when I applied I forgot to add proof provided by my university for scheduled break. Also when I applied university denied to write duration of program in completion certificate. May be that could be reason
It isn’t a 2 year course if you did 2 terms, a summer break and then another term.