+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get my PGWP extended, got 1 year instead of 3! HELP!

Adnan Qader

Mar 4, 2019
Hi everyone,

Every International student in my Masters batch got a three year post grad work permit except me. My masters was 1-2 year program. I finished it in one year. Out of all the international students who applied under my program )with similar visa status) ended up getting three years. My 1 year PGWP expiry date coincides with my VISA expiry date.

I got a job offer with a two year contract. But that company doesn't do LMIA and will withdraw from giving me that offer under this PGWP status. Can I appeal to the immigration office to extend my PGWP?

Reactions: lolcocks and 17ha15

chuanpengxiao

Feb 27, 2019
You might get useful information from the following URL
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Determining the length of the post-graduation work permit
The validity period of the post-graduation work permit may not go beyond the applicant’s passport validity date. If the applicant’s passport expires before the validity period of the post-graduation work permit, the officer should note this reason in the “Notes” box, in the Global Case Management System. The post-graduation work permit applicant then has to apply for a work permit extension upon the renewal of their passport to receive the full validity of their post-graduation work permit.

Post-graduation work permits can be extended only when the length of the permit could not be provided at the time of the application, due to the expiry date of the applicant’s passport.

Reactions: Adnan Qader

Adnan Qader

Mar 4, 2019
:( I did have the date. My passport expires 2022. I got the PGWP for one year which will end this year. I really don't understand how they choose candidates and why they give some people three years and others one - even if the program was two years.

chuanpengxiao

Feb 27, 2019
""""""""""""""""""
Accelerated studies
If a student completes their studies in less time than the normal length of the program (that is, they have accelerated their studies), the post-graduation work permit should be assessed on the length of the program of study.

For example, if the student is enrolled in a program of study that is normally 1 year in duration, but the student completes the requirements for the program of study within 8 months, they may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit that is valid for 1 year.

Reactions: hyong1991

Adnan Qader

Mar 4, 2019
Thanks, I knew that but what bothered me was that my friends who were in the same program, who finished with me got three years PGWP. I don't know why they were the exceptions or why I was made the exception.

Thanks for your help.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks, I knew that but what bothered me was that my friends who were in the same program, who finished with me got three years PGWP. I don't know why they were the exceptions or why I was made the exception.

Thanks for your help.
Have they shared the content of their completion letters ? Is the text exactly same as yours indicating the length of the program and any mention of accelerated completion ?

Awatts

Jun 26, 2019
Brampton
Category........
WP
Hey! Not sure what happened with your case, but I was in a similar situation. I did 2 diploma programs of 1 year each and took a semester off between them. Ended up getting a 1 year work permit, called CIC and the agent sent my file for reconsideration. Within a month, I got my revised work permit of 3 years. Hopefully it worked out for you too :)

pawiks101

Mar 24, 2019
Hey! Not sure what happened with your case, but I was in a similar situation. I did 2 diploma programs of 1 year each and took a semester off between them. Ended up getting a 1 year work permit, called CIC and the agent sent my file for reconsideration. Within a month, I got my revised work permit of 3 years. Hopefully it worked out for you too :)

Hi,

Could you give some insights..

I am planning to take another course after finishing my 1yr course (business management) right now. But i am worried if CIC would give me a 3yr PGWP after if the course that I will be taling for my 2nd course is totally on a different field as what I am enrolled right now. I am planning to take up Mobile Application Dev (IT field). Please advise

What were your courses back then?

Thanks,
Paul

Awatts

Jun 26, 2019
Brampton
Category........
WP
Hi,

Could you give some insights..

I am planning to take another course after finishing my 1yr course (business management) right now. But i am worried if CIC would give me a 3yr PGWP after if the course that I will be taling for my 2nd course is totally on a different field as what I am enrolled right now. I am planning to take up Mobile Application Dev (IT field). Please advise

What were your courses back then?

Thanks,
Paul
Hey! I did Human Resource management first and then international business management. I don’t really think it should be an issue but I would suggest that you consult with the student services at your college.

Reactions: mithun5991

pawiks101

Mar 24, 2019
Hey! I did Human Resource management first and then international business management. I don’t really think it should be an issue but I would suggest that you consult with the student services at your college.
Hi,

Thank you. I will message them but already called CIC and asked them if there will be an issue and the agent said that there wont be any as long as I can provide proof that I took 2 different courses.

My course is scheduled for 1yr but the school had no scheduled break so it just took 8 months for my course to finish, how about you?

k1mvillanueva

Jul 10, 2019
Hi can you give me insights regarding this, i’m planning to take a 1 year course of Pharmacy assistant then another 1 year course in international business management, my question is, if that would be also eligible for post graduate work permit of 3 years?And how can i extend my student visa? Thank you.

Reactions: ym205

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
Hi everyone,

Every International student in my Masters batch got a three year post grad work permit except me. My masters was 1-2 year program. I finished it in one year. Out of all the international students who applied under my program )with similar visa status) ended up getting three years. My 1 year PGWP expiry date coincides with my VISA expiry date.

I got a job offer with a two year contract. But that company doesn't do LMIA and will withdraw from giving me that offer under this PGWP status. Can I appeal to the immigration office to extend my PGWP?
Hi man, did you attach them your academic transcript in your work permit application? If yes, how many semesters are included in your transcript? Thanks