+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get my PGWP extended, got 1 year instead of 3! HELP!

vkottawa

Apr 25, 2020
But all my other friend who started and finished the course with me got 3 years. Even people who did in 3 consecutive terms got 3 year. According to CIC website scheduled break should be considered in calculation of length of program.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
But all my other friend who started and finished the course with me got 3 years. Even people who did in 3 consecutive terms got 3 year. According to CIC website scheduled break should be considered in calculation of length of program.
You can send a Webform with your documentation and ask for it to be looked at again.

Reeee

Apr 26, 2020
Hello everyone. I did my masters from university of Ottawa in January 2020. I applied for PGWP but instead of 3 years i received only
Hello everyone. I did my masters from university of Ottawa in January 2020. I applied for PGWP but instead of 3 years i received only 15 months. Can somebody please help me to know how to overturn this?
I’m also in the same situation. From university of Ottawa itself. I called CIC. The agent asked me to submit the web form raising a reconsideration request.

Purvajask

Apr 28, 2020
Hello everyone,

Please help me, I have few doubts regarding my current work permit status. I studied 2 post-graduate programs of 1 year each in Seneca college and graduated in may 2019. On CIC website they have mentioned that if we study for 2-3 years, we are eligible for 3 years work permit. However, when I applied for my work permit, I forgot to attached 1 of the 2 graduation letter and submitted my application, and received work permit for only 1 year in sept 2019. I then applied through an agent in Jan 2020, but CIC refused to extend the additional two years stating that I applied for PGWP after 180 days. Hence, the current work permit which I have is expiring in sept 2020.
What should I do in this situation? Should I challenge their decision and apply for deferral asap, asking to grant me fresh permit of three years, or should I wait till september and then apply for work permit extension with a job letter? Also, should I approach any immigration lawyer or submit paper application if I want to re-evaluate their decision once more?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hello,
Please help me, I have few doubts regarding my current work permit status. I studied 2 post-graduate programs of 1 year each in Seneca college and graduated in may 2019. On CIC website they have mentioned that if we study for 2-3 years, we are eligible for 3 years work permit. However, when I applied for my work permit, I forgot to attached 1 of the 2 graduation letter and submitted my application, and received work permit for only 1 year in sept 2019. I then applied through an agent in Jan 2020, but CIC refused to extend the additional two years stating that I applied for PGWP after 180 days. Hence, the current work permit which I have is expiring in sept 2020.
What should I do in this situation? Should I challenge their decision and apply for deferral asap, asking to grant me fresh permit of three years, or should I wait till september and then apply for work permit extension with a job letter? Also, should I approach any immigration lawyer or submit paper application if I want to re-evaluate their decision once more?
Unfortunately I don't think you have any good grounds to apply for the 3 year permit now, challenge would mean going to court so you would need to talk to lawyer and see if you have any grounds but you didn't provide proof of both programs so it seems the decision was reasonable, plus that decision is past its appeal time (the first decision) not sure if court will allow the original decision to be reviewed, it needs a lawyer. Here you have to make sure you have a good lawyer, some will take your money knowing you have no chance of winning.

Paper/Online makes no difference and I don't think they are taking paper apps now due to covid.

You cant really extend a PGWP, job letter doesn't matter. To get a new permit your employer would need to apply for and get a LMIA which is not the simplest task.

temp11

Feb 18, 2020
Hello everyone,

Sorry that you are going through that. To CIC, it seems they believe you studied for a year and that's why they gave you a year pgwp. You can open a reconsideration form with them but I don't know if its too late (just try). Call CIC representative on Monday and explaining clearly what happened and that you actually studied 2 years and not 1 but mistakenly didn't upload the second letter. Don't quote me on this but I honestly think your case might be better, if it was 2 years in Seneca college for a post-graduate program instead of 2 years of 2 separate programs. Ask CIC also if thats possible to get 3 years of post grad work permit, if they came from two separate programs. If not, pay for an hour consultation with an immigration lawyer and hopefully they find a way around it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purvajask

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Hello,
It's already 180 days past your first program, therefore reven if you had submitted it, it won't be approved.

Purvajask

Apr 28, 2020
Sorry that you are going through that. To CIC, it seems they believe you studied for a year and that's why they gave you a year pgwp. You can open a reconsideration form with them but I don't know if its too late (just try). Call CIC representative on Monday and explaining clearly what happened and that you actually studied 2 years and not 1 but mistakenly didn't upload the second letter. Don't quote me on this but I honestly think your case might be better, if it was 2 years in Seneca college for a post-graduate program instead of 2 years of 2 separate programs. Ask CIC also if thats possible to get 3 years of post grad work permit, if they came from two separate programs. If not, pay for an hour consultation with an immigration lawyer and hopefully they find a way around it.
Thankyou

Purvajask

Apr 28, 2020
t
Unfortunately I don't think you have any good grounds to apply for the 3 year permit now, challenge would mean going to court so you would need to talk to lawyer and see if you have any grounds but you didn't provide proof of both programs so it seems the decision was reasonable, plus that decision is past its appeal time (the first decision) not sure if court will allow the original decision to be reviewed, it needs a lawyer. Here you have to make sure you have a good lawyer, some will take your money knowing you have no chance of winning.

Paper/Online makes no difference and I don't think they are taking paper apps now due to covid.

You cant really extend a PGWP, job letter doesn't matter. To get a new permit your employer would need to apply for and get a LMIA which is not the simplest task.
Thank you

McGillU

May 18, 2020
Hi. I am in the same situation. I did Masters in three semesters. I got pgwp for 1 year only. the official length of the program is 2 years. I have passport expiry and i attached proof of graduation stating the official length of the program as two years. Please help.

vkottawa

Apr 25, 2020
Hi. I am in the same situation. I did Masters in three semesters. I got pgwp for 1 year only. the official length of the program is 2 years. I have passport expiry and i attached proof of graduation stating the official length of the program as two years. Please help.
Hey I’m in the same situation. I got work permit for 15 months only