+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply PGWP and spousal open work permit TOGETHER?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Others on this forum have been denied for applying with only an offer letter, applying with only one pay stub, etc.

Jaison784

Jun 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16-07-2017
IELTS Request
28-08-2017
Med's Request
07-11-2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2018
Passport Req..
08-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
22-05-2018
Others on this forum have been denied for applying with only an offer letter, applying with only one pay stub, etc.
I am saying all this from my experience as I got my wife's OWP application approved. There might be other things that went wrong with those applications that got denied. On the brighter side, your spouse can keep working, once he/she has applied for extension of OWP, until a decision is made.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am on PGWP implied status (didn't receive paper yet). Applied on June 5th.
My wife's OWP expired on July 31st. Currently, she does not hold any status.
I have a NOC A job for 1.5 months.
can I apply for my wife's OWP extension (with restoration)?
If yes,
Do I need pay stubs dated only after the date of my PGWP approval?
OR
I can submit pay stubs for current NOC A job while on the PGWP implied status.
Don't double post.

Konok keya

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hi everyone,
I got a lot of information and help from here now I need some more information to move forward our application for my husband's PGWP and my extension to STAY AS A VISITOR. Please response if you can help. As I mentioned before, my husband's study permit and my OWP will be expired on October 30, 2018. He has completed his degree (2 year's Masters program) in August, 2018 but doesn't have any job offer. So we have decided to apply for my STATUS CHANGE from OWP to "Stay as a Visitor" along with his application of PGWP. Now my questions are-
1.If I apply for my current status change from OWP to STAY AS A VISITOR for maximum how many months or years I can apply for stay?
2.If I want to stay 1 year (suppose) how much amount should I show in my bank account?
3.If I get approval for stay as a visitor for 6 months can I apply again for extension of stay as a visitor after expiry of that 6 months?

Thanks a lot for your supports here.
I really need those information now.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,
I got a lot of information and help from here now I need some more information to move forward our application for my husband's PGWP and my extension to STAY AS A VISITOR. Please response if you can help. As I mentioned before, my husband's study permit and my OWP will be expired on October 30, 2018. He has completed his degree (2 year's Masters program) in August, 2018 but doesn't have any job offer. So we have decided to apply for my STATUS CHANGE from OWP to "Stay as a Visitor" along with his application of PGWP. Now my questions are-
1.If I apply for my current status change from OWP to STAY AS A VISITOR for maximum how many months or years I can apply for stay?
2.If I want to stay 1 year (suppose) how much amount should I show in my bank account?
3.If I get approval for stay as a visitor for 6 months can I apply again for extension of stay as a visitor after expiry of that 6 months?

Thanks a lot for your supports here.
I really need those information now.
No point in applying to change your status to visitor now. Wait until mid-October to give more time for your spouse to find a skilled job.

JohnRich30

May 26, 2016
Greetings everyone,

If someone could help me with some info on extending spouse's work permit.

My spouse and I live in Canada for about two years. I am a study permit holder and she is an open work permit holder. Since her passport expire date is shorter than mine, she got her OWP respecting the dates of her passport expire date. Her WP is 2 years shorter than my SP. She will be renewing her passport and applying for an OWP extension. Because everything has changed in the past two years, do I need to be working on a NOC 0, A or B occupation as a student in order to extend her work permit or is this new rule just for PGWP holders?

Konok keya

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
No point in applying to change your status to visitor now. Wait until mid-October to give more time for your spouse to find a skilled job.
Thanks a lot for responding.
Even if my husband applies for PGWP today, I suppose he will get it at the beginning of October. Also, if he starts working now, it will take the same time to get 2/3 pay stubs. It would be too late to apply for my OWP extension as his dependent (it requires to apply at-least 30 days before the expiry date of current status). That's why I think today or tomorrow I have to go for a visitor status. So for how many month it is safe to apply for? And what is the amount should I show for that? If I apply with my husband will there be any chance of rejection for OWP and PGWP both?

Also, please let me know if has any better solution than changing my status to visitor.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Greetings everyone,

If someone could help me with some info on extending spouse's work permit.

My spouse and I live in Canada for about two years. I am a study permit holder and she is an open work permit holder. Since her passport expire date is shorter than mine, she got her OWP respecting the dates of her passport expire date. Her WP is 2 years shorter than my SP. She will be renewing her passport and applying for an OWP extension. Because everything has changed in the past two years, do I need to be working on a NOC 0, A or B occupation as a student in order to extend her work permit or is this new rule just for PGWP holders?
This isn't a new rule and only applies to spouses of work permit holders. She will be applying based on your status as a student.

Reactions: JohnRich30

newUser111

Jul 30, 2018
Hi All,
I have seen similar cases as mine here in this thread so wanted to confirm something. My study permit and my spouse's OWP are expiring at the same time. I asked CIC person and he suggested I can apply for my Post graduate work permit and my spouse's new OWP (not work permit extension) both at the same time. Person also confirmed that I can provide a part time job offer and 3 pay stubs from the part time job lies NOC O,A,and B which I am doing along with my studies. I will not have a full time job offer and 3 pay stubs from a full time job right after I finish studies and both of our status are expiring, which made sense to him. The CIC person was pretty sure about this. But I have seen different reviews on this thread. Has anyone reached out to CIC for the similar case? I want to know about the requirement of a full time job because its also not mentioned in the online application package.
Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All,
I have seen similar cases as mine here in this thread so wanted to confirm something. My study permit and my spouse's OWP are expiring at the same time. I asked CIC person and he suggested I can apply for my Post graduate work permit and my spouse's new OWP (not work permit extension) both at the same time. Person also confirmed that I can provide a part time job offer and 3 pay stubs from the part time job lies NOC O,A,and B which I am doing along with my studies. I will not have a full time job offer and 3 pay stubs from a full time job right after I finish studies and both of our status are expiring, which made sense to him. The CIC person was pretty sure about this. But I have seen different reviews on this thread. Has anyone reached out to CIC for the similar case? I want to know about the requirement of a full time job because its also not mentioned in the online application package.
Thanks!
Hi

If it was a requirement to have a full-time job, it would be stated.

Sepidnour

Star Member
Aug 23, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Vancouver
Nomination.....
2018-08-23
AOR Received.
01-03-2022
Hello everyone!
I have recently recieved my pgwp and applied for BC PNP and recieved nomination. So today I sent my application for PR to IRCC (paper based) .
My husband’s owp will expire in September 30th and I don’t think I can find a job until then. Any suggestions on how he can extend his owp? He is currently working in a NOC B job and does not want to lose it.

And an important question:
How long maximum before expiry date he can apply for renewal?
Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone!
I have recently recieved my pgwp and applied for BC PNP and recieved nomination. So today I sent my application for PR to IRCC (paper based) .
My husband’s owp will expire in September 30th and I don’t think I can find a job until then. Any suggestions on how he can extend his owp? He is currently working in a NOC B job and does not want to lose it.

And an important question:
How long maximum before expiry date he can apply for renewal?
Thanks
Hi

As you do not have a skilled job, he does not qualify for an OWP based on your status. He would need an approved LMIA from his employer. Even if his employer is willing, given the required advertising period and the subsequent processing time, there is zero chance of getting an LMIA by Sept 30th.

He will need to apply to change his status to visitor. He can do this up until the day his current status expires.

Roscky

Jun 7, 2018
Hello All!
First of all, thank you so much for the amazing help that we can find reading this forum. :)

As I posted a while ago, I hold a SP and my husband a OWP. I already got 3 paystubs NOC B part time and my college finished 2 weeks ago. I have 2 specific questions, which I could not find the answer online (thank you in advance!)

-> My status on the college registration online system changed today to 'Awarded - Graduated' and I haven't received any letter yet. Can I continue to work until I receive a letter (either an email or mail) or the status is the same? Sorry, but I got confused with the CIC text, which says that I cannot work anymore after I receive written confirmation of completion.

-> I have 3 pay stubs NOC B, which I will use to apply to my husband's OWP. If I get a new job after applying and before the final decision, can I change jobs? My understanding is that I should wait for my new visa to do so, but I might be wrong. I feel that is weird to use stubs of a company and then change jobs before my new visa...

Thank you!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello All!
First of all, thank you so much for the amazing help that we can find reading this forum. :)

As I posted a while ago, I hold a SP and my husband a OWP. I already got 3 paystubs NOC B part time and my college finished 2 weeks ago. I have 2 specific questions, which I could not find the answer online (thank you in advance!)

-> My status on the college registration online system changed today to 'Awarded - Graduated' and I haven't received any letter yet. Can I continue to work until I receive a letter (either an email or mail) or the status is the same? Sorry, but I got confused with the CIC text, which says that I cannot work anymore after I receive written confirmation of completion.

-> I have 3 pay stubs NOC B, which I will use to apply to my husband's OWP. If I get a new job after applying and before the final decision, can I change jobs? My understanding is that I should wait for my new visa to do so, but I might be wrong. I feel that is weird to use stubs of a company and then change jobs before my new visa...

Thank you!!
Hi

I would not consider that written confirmation. As the website says, written confirmation is "an email, a letter, a transcript or a diploma".

It's fine to use payslips from the job that you have at the time of applying and change jobs after.

Reactions: Roscky

Roscky

Jun 7, 2018
Thank you so much canuck!

I am applying right now (got the official transcript) and I have a question about how to fill the question about the job on the IMM 5710e. I will upload my contract + paystubs in order for my husband to get his OWP, but what should I answer about my job?

2- Details of intended work in Canada
My goal is to have an Open Work Permit as well, but I am confused if I should write my current job in this part or put "to be determined"....

Current Employment
Should I enter my part-time job or, because I am a student, I should write ''Student" to match my visa?

Thank you!!