+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply PGWP and spousal open work permit TOGETHER?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks...Can you give me an information if I want to study now here in canada without applying for OWP extension/visitor then what should I show to get the study permit applying inside canada? I don't want to get rejected that's why I want to be sure about the requirments how they will approve my study permit apply inside canada.
You can apply for a study permit if you have admission to a school and proof of funds.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If you are applying in order to stay in Canada applying for a visitor visa until your spouse gets a job would be much easier. If your spouse is unlikely to get a job in the noc 0,a,b and you really want to study that is a different story. You will have to apply through a visa office that is out of the country to get a student visa (usually LA I think). You can't have a student visa and a owp at the same time so the owp will be cancelled if you get the student visa.
OP can apply for a study permit from within Canada.

Reactions: Konok keya

Konok keya

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
OP can apply for a study permit from within Canada.
Thanks a lot for your all replies. Now we can make a decision for this issue. Yeah actually I want to stay with him, study is not necessary this time for me. If I can get the visitor visa then I won't think about study. It is little bit sure right?? if I apply for Visitor instead of OWP extension then visa officer will approve me??
Sorry for bothering you actually I'm little bit worried about it what will happen if they reject my TRV!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks a lot for your all replies. Now we can make a decision for this issue. Yeah actually I want to stay with him, study is not necessary this time for me. If I can get the visitor visa then I won't think about study. It is little bit sure right?? if I apply for Visitor instead of OWP extension then visa officer will approve me??
Sorry for bothering you actually I'm little bit worried about it what will happen if they reject my TRV!!
You should have no issues changing your status to visitor but no one can guarantee approval.

limgi89

Jun 28, 2018
Hi,
I am a holder of OWP that will expire on July 31, 2018. My wife applied for her PGWP last June 5 but she was not able to include the extension of my OWP because she has no job offer that falls under NOC 0, A, B at that time. Now that she already found a full time skilled job and will start on July 1st, can we apply the extension of my OWP? Her PGWP application has no result yet.

I would appreciate all your reply. Hope you can help us. Thank you in advance.

Reactions: worklate

mammar

Jun 11, 2017
Hi,

my spouse has an open work permit and my study permit and both expiring on 01 Aug, 2015. I have a fulltime permanent job offer in a skilled category job, since it takes too much time (currently 89 days) to process PGWP, we have applied for my PGWP and spouse open work permit extension at the same time on May 23, 2015, I have attached my fulltime permanent job offer letter with my spouse open work permit application but could not add my salary stub as I was not received my first salary stub at the time of application. then my wife called CIC on Jun 05, 2015 and added a note on her application that she want to add my salary stub to the application.

I don't know if this is going to work, but my wife can not simply wait for my PGWP, as her open work permit would have expired by the time.
I am exactly in the same situation. My only questions if we did that, can she still continue working under implied status? I would really apprreciate your input. Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am exactly in the same situation. My only questions if we did that, can she still continue working under implied status? I would really apprreciate your input. Thanks.
Your wife has to stop working until you have PGWP and a job in noc 0,A or B and 3 pay stubs

Reactions: scylla

rafzdv

Jul 15, 2018
Hey guys, just read the whole thread and I want to double check some info.
I`ll probably receive my graduation letter from the school around mid-August or September.
I know that I need to stop working in the day I get this letter. Does my wife has also to stop working on her job at the same time? Or can she work until her OWP expires? when does she need to stop working?

if no, do I need to change her status to a visitor at the border or online? or is she legally allowed to stay under her current OWP?

I might have a 40hrs contract job that falls in the NOC 0AB, is that a fulltime job? or does the employment document must clearly say this is a fulltime position?

It might be a 4 months contract but I read that It needs to be 6 months or more to get my spouse a new OWP, is that right?

Do I strictly need 3 pay studs or one and the letter would be enough?

She is currently employed but from what I'm reading she will probably need to quit until this change process to happen, this is so frustrating...

Thx a lot for all the previous info.
All the best

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I`ll probably receive my graduation letter from the school around mid-August or September.
I know that I need to stop working in the day I get this letter. Does my wife has also to stop working on her job at the same time? Or can she work until her OWP expires? when does she need to stop working?

if no, do I need to change her status to a visitor at the border or online? or is she legally allowed to stay under her current OWP?

I might have a 40hrs contract job that falls in the NOC 0AB, is that a fulltime job? or does the employment document must clearly say this is a fulltime position?

It might be a 4 months contract but I read that It needs to be 6 months or more to get my spouse a new OWP, is that right?

She is currently employed but from what I'm reading she will probably need to quit until this change process to happen, this is so frustrating...

All the best

If you apply for your PGWP before your student visa expires and within the 90 days of graduation you can keep on working or look for a job. Your wife must stop working when her OWP expires if she hasn't received her new OWP. To apply for her OWP you must have a full-time job, 3 pay stubs and it has to be in NOC 0, A or B.

rafzdv

Jul 15, 2018
If you apply for your PGWP before your student visa expires and within the 90 days of graduation you can keep on working or look for a job. Your wife must stop working when her OWP expires if she hasn't received her new OWP. To apply for her OWP you must have a full-time job, 3 pay stubs and it has to be in NOC 0, A or B.
Ok, perfect. Thank you so much. Would you know if my work contract must be 6 months + or a 4-month contract would be enough for her OPW?

Thx for the support

Jaison784

Jun 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16-07-2017
IELTS Request
28-08-2017
Med's Request
07-11-2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2018
Passport Req..
08-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
22-05-2018
Yes, she can work under implied status, provided she also applied for an extension at the same time you are applied for your PGWP.

Jaison784

Jun 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16-07-2017
IELTS Request
28-08-2017
Med's Request
07-11-2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2018
Passport Req..
08-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
22-05-2018
Your wife has to stop working until you have PGWP and a job in noc 0,A or B and 3 pay stubs
If he has a fulltime skilled category job already, his wife will be able to apply for extension of her SOWP based on that. She doesn't need to wait until her husband gets his PGWP approved. I have explained how to proceed if you don't have 3 pay stubs at the time of application.

Last edited:

Jaison784

Jun 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16-07-2017
IELTS Request
28-08-2017
Med's Request
07-11-2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2018
Passport Req..
08-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
22-05-2018

All the best
I didn't have 3 pay stubs at the time of application, you can add them later.

Last edited:

Jaison784

Jun 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16-07-2017
IELTS Request
28-08-2017
Med's Request
07-11-2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2018
Passport Req..
08-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
22-05-2018
Hi,
I am a holder of OWP that will expire on July 31, 2018. My wife applied for her PGWP last June 5 but she was not able to include the extension of my OWP because she has no job offer that falls under NOC 0, A, B at that time. Now that she already found a full time skilled job and will start on July 1st, can we apply the extension of my OWP? Her PGWP application has no result yet.

I would appreciate all your reply. Hope you can help us. Thank you in advance.
I have applied for OWP application just using job offer letter, you can call CIC and let them know that you want to add pay stubs for your wife later.

Last edited: