+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can Chinese continue to use passport (temporarily) after oath?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
Not really. How would you get back on the plane without your PR card. Your TRV visa is expired the day your passport expired. You will need a new TRV to board the plane back to Canada but you even can't get that since Canadian don't get TRV.

You would need your Canadian passport to get to Canada. Indonesia will know you have Canadian Passport. Doesn't solve the problem.
This is the process used by a person I know...it's not a theory. He is a Canadian citizen and visited Indonesia on his Indonesian passport. While there, he renewed his passport. He then returned to Canada using his Canadian passport (possibly using his Indonesian passport to fly to Singapore, then the Canadian one to go from there to Canada). Why would a Canadian citizen need a PR card or visa to return to Canada? I'm not recommending that people mislead their country of origin as to their other citizenship, simply explaining that it is done.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
alphazip said:
This is the process used by a person I know...it's not a theory. He is a Canadian citizen and visited Indonesia on his Indonesian passport. While there, he renewed his passport. He then returned to Canada using his Canadian passport (possibly using his Indonesian passport to fly to Singapore, then the Canadian one to go from there to Canada). Why would a Canadian citizen need a PR card or visa to return to Canada? I'm not recommending that people mislead their country of origin as to their other citizenship, simply explaining that it is done.
Interesting loophole.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MonBec said:
Yes, you can, but it's not as str8 4ward.

First of all, many people misunderstand China's policy on dual citizenship.

China does not recognize your second citizenship, which is not the same thing as "China does not allow dual citizenship". Does not recognize is completely, in law, different from DOES NOT ALLOW.

Secondly, Canada allow and recognize dual relationship, and Canada will not notify Chinese government on Canadian citizen's information.

Previous cases have it: Entering the US with Chinese passport and flying back to Canada from the US with Canadian. The US official said they don't care about a Chinese citizen holding a Canadian passport, but you must not hide such information from the US.

The US also knows that once a person is conferred Canadian citizenship, his Chinese passport is invalidated immediately. So, entering the US with a Chinese passport after taking the Oath, you are experiencing a risk of using fake document.

However, I wouldn't personally give away my Chinese passport as using a non-Chinese passport in China is way too inconvenient.
MonBec, you are saying two contradictory things:

1. "China does not recognize your second citizenship, which is not the same thing as "China does not allow dual citizenship". Does not recognize is completely, in law, different from DOES NOT ALLOW."
2. "The US also knows that once a person is conferred Canadian citizenship, his Chinese passport is invalidated immediately."

Well, if, once a person is conferred Canadian citizenship, his Chinese passport is invalidated immediately, then China does not allow dual citizenship. It's not just a matter of not recognizing it, they don't allow it.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/dual-nationality.htm

"Article 9 of that law [China Nationality Law] declares that as soon as a Chinese takes a foreign citizenship, he will automatically lose his Chinese citizenship."

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you all for your reply. I am aware of that *interesting loophole* for some time. But I will not risk it or take any chances. I'm not sure if my oath will be before, during or after my conference. I will just wait till this Wednesday, if nothing happens, I will let the conference organizers know I won't make to the conference.

Apr 11, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I concur that China invalidates its citizen's citizenship upon taking oath of a foreign one. As soon as you are conferred the Canadian citizenship, your Chinese citizenship ceased. It will be fraud to use the Chinese passport entering the US.

In another note, other countries allow dual or multiple citizenship. I for a fact is a British by birth, Canadian through my occupation and Filipino by marriage to my wife who happens to be Canadian-Filipino. In my recent travel, I use my Canadian passport to exit Canada and use my British passport to enter UK and then we passed by the Philippines and I used my Philippine Passport and then use my Canadian passport to enter again Canada.

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just for those whose countries accept your second citizenship, there's a way to go to US, if you have a valid US visa or do not need one to enter, and come back to Canada without a Canadian passport, if you can't get it in time http://can-am.gc.ca/consular_services_consulaires/border-frontiere.aspx?lang=eng#entry

Though the preferred travel document for all travellers is a passport, please note that Canadian citizens may enter Canada by personal motor vehicle with proof of Canadian citizenship (Canadian birth certificate or Canadian citizenship certificate) plus a valid government-issued photo ID (ex. state or provincial driver's license).

wolanila

Jun 8, 2011
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does Singapore require exit stamp?

Ramik

Star Member
Aug 23, 2016
Just a note guys. Since last November, Canada requires its citizens (dual citizenship holders) to enter Canada using a Canadian passport. So for you yyzhuang, once you do your oath then you become a Canadian citizen and Canada will require you to have a Canadian passport in order to let you come back.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
I concur that China invalidates its citizen's citizenship upon taking oath of a foreign one. As soon as you are conferred the Canadian citizenship, your Chinese citizenship ceased. It will be fraud to use the Chinese passport entering the US.

In another note, other countries allow dual or multiple citizenship. I for a fact is a British by birth, Canadian through my occupation and Filipino by marriage to my wife who happens to be Canadian-Filipino. In my recent travel, I use my Canadian passport to exit Canada and use my British passport to enter UK and then we passed by the Philippines and I used my Philippine Passport and then use my Canadian passport to enter again Canada.
So you acquired Filipino Citizenship when you married a Filipina?

andrewhl

Aug 28, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Nov-2016
Doc's Request.
21-Dec-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
16-Nov-2016
Med's Done....
20-Dec-2016(Passed)
Passport Req..
02-Feb-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-Feb-2017
LANDED..........
13-Feb-2017
I think OP misunderstood the Chinese Dual citizenship policy

Theoretically, After acquiring Second Citizenship, your Chinese citizenship will be lost.

However, in the reality, the Chinese government has no way to check if you just get your second citizenship and having a second passport does not make your Chinese passport invalid immediately. The passport will still work as long as it is not expired.

The only way they will know your second citizenship is by you surrendering your Chinese passport. It usually happens when a former Chinese citizen would like to visit China. In order to do so, he needs a visa on his second passport. Chinese embassy will ask for those who born in China surrender their Chinese passports before the Chinese visa is issued.

Another point needs to be noted is that
If a Chinese citizen who acquired Second Citizenship try to enter China with his Chinese passport, there is a very high chance for Chinese custom will know he/she has a second Citizenship.

For those Chinese citizens who residing in U.S/Canada or some major Europe countries, if their Chinese passport has no valid residential visa of those countries they are living nor can they provide permanent residence documents of those countries, the custom will make further inspection on those people and ask them to surrender their Chinese passport.

Unless some Chinese citizen can get a second citizenship without being actually live long term in that country (such as certain investment passport program in some Caribbean islands nations), there is no way to get around this. You either keep your Chinese passport and don't enter China for the rest of your life, or you just be honest with the embassy and get a visitor visa.

The only exception I can think of is Chinese citizens born in Canada/US and when they are born, their Chinese parent/parents cannot be foreign permanent residents in any other country. (The Chinese parent/parents can hold working/study visa or visitor visa however). Under this circumstance, the Chinese citizen born in Can/US can hold their Chinese citizenship and get Chinese travel documents from the local embassy. In the meanwhile, they will hold Canadian/US passport because it is their birth rights. So those minors can enter China as Chinese and enter Can/US as Canadians/Americans. Such "dual citizenship" can be maintained until minors turn to 18. After that, they have to choose either Chinese or Foreign citizenship.

Frankly speaking, it is pretty sad for us because I know a lot of European descendants who hold multiple passports from their parents and their grandparents. Even Citizens from the Republic of China(Taiwan) can still pass down their passports for generations without going back to Taiwan. I would love my children and the children of my children still hold some heritage to remember.