+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can Chinese continue to use passport (temporarily) after oath?

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm a Chinese citizen and passed my test, hopefully will take oath soon around Canada Day. I also have a conference trip abroad around that time. I'm aware I will no longer have Chinese citizenship after becoming a Canadian. However, if my oath happens shortly before my trip, I will not have time to apply for a passport. I need to confirm with the conference organizers about my travel plans by this Wednesday.

My question is, do any fellow Chinese friends on this forum know that, whether we have some grace period after taking another country's citizenship? For example, can I travel with my Chinese passport, say 2 weeks after taking oath? I've been reading through Chinese consulate general's web pages, however nothing useful was found. I tried to call them, but none of the phone numbers can be reached. Thank you very much in advance!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
I don't think you can legally use your Chinese passport once you become Canadian. You can apply for a Canadian passport 48 hours after you say your oath at the nearest passport office and apply for a expedited Canadian Passport and explain that you have a trip planned in a couple of weeks. You cannot book a ticket until you have your Canadian Passport as you will need to use your Canadian Passport for flight reservations. You cannot reserve your ticket using your Chinese Passport and then use your Canadian passport to leave.

If it is that important to fly out around that time, you can request or let CIC know that you are going to be absence in a specific time. CIC can try to avoid issuing you an oath appointment during your trip.

Besides once you become Canadian, don't you need a visa to enter China? Wouldn't that complicate your ability to show up for your conference in time?

yukon

Apr 6, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yyzhuang said:
I'm a Chinese citizen and passed my test, hopefully will take oath soon around Canada Day. I also have a conference trip abroad around that time. I'm aware I will no longer have Chinese citizenship after becoming a Canadian. However, if my oath happens shortly before my trip, I will not have time to apply for a passport. I need to confirm with the conference organizers about my travel plans by this Wednesday.

My question is, do any fellow Chinese friends on this forum know that, whether we have some grace period after taking another country's citizenship? For example, can I travel with my Chinese passport, say 2 weeks after taking oath? I've been reading through Chinese consulate general's web pages, however nothing useful was found. I tried to call them, but none of the phone numbers can be reached. Thank you very much in advance!
Even if you do travel with your Chinese Passport, how will you enter Canada without your PR Card (as it is taken during the oath ceremony). Unless you enter by road, then I believe you can give other proof too (not sure though) !

Passport Canada does offer 24 hours urgent service, but you will still need 3 clear business days (2+1) after you oath, to get the passport.

FYI India does not allow dual citizenship either, but they do allow you to use your Indian Passport for 3 months after attaining Citizenship of another country, however the problem of re-entry will always exist for air travel.

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My conference is in US, and I have a valid US visa on my Chinese passport. But if my oath is before the conference, according to what you've said, this renders my passport no longer valid. If I must decide, I would think oath is more important than the conference. I can always attend next year.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
yyzhuang said:
My conference is in US, and I have a valid US visa on my Chinese passport. But if my oath is before the conference, according to what you've said, this renders my passport no longer valid. If I must decide, I would think oath is more important than the conference. I can always attend next year.
That can create a lot of problems for you especially coming from US. You using a Chinese passport to enter US and then turn around entering Canada with a Canadian citizenship certificate (assuming you took a road trip instead of flying).

Remember Canada and US share exit/entry controls. So if you entered US with Chinese passport (assuming US doesn't know it is invalid - how does China know you have canadian citizenship) and re-entered into Canada with canadian citizenship certificate (by road), how does US know you actually left US if you showed Canadian citizenship to re-enter Canada. US could still think you are still in US.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yyzhuang said:
China isn't notified by Canada that you have accepted Canadian citizenship. So, your Chinese passport will not be rendered instantly invalid. Most likely, China won't know of your Canadian citizenship until you tell them. Whether you wish to use your Chinese passport, knowing that China does not accept dual citizenship, is up to you.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
That can create a lot of problems for you especially coming from US. You using a Chinese passport to enter US and then turn around entering Canada with a Canadian citizenship certificate (assuming you took a road trip instead of flying).
I don't think Canada cares about China's dual-citizenship policy. I know of a person who entered Indonesia on an Indonesian passport, then returned to Canada on a Canadian passport. He had no problem, despite the fact that Indonesia doesn't permit dual citizenship.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
alphazip said:
I don't think Canada cares about China's dual-citizenship policy. I know of a person who entered Indonesia on an Indonesian passport, then returned to Canada on a Canadian passport. He had no problem, despite the fact that Indonesia doesn't permit dual citizenship.
Assuming the indonesian passport is still valid. Whenever an Indonesian apply for a passport renewal in Canada, they have to show proof of status in Canada. If they have Canadian citizenship, Indonesian will then cancel the Indonesian citizenship.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
Remember Canada and US share exit/entry controls. So if you entered US with Chinese passport (assuming US doesn't know it is invalid - how does China know you have canadian citizenship) and re-entered into Canada with canadian citizenship certificate (by road), how does US know you actually left US if you showed Canadian citizenship to re-enter Canada. US could still think you are still in US.
Well, I enter the U.S. on a U.S. passport and return to Canada on a Canadian passport. Seems like they'd have the same problem of not being able to find me.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
Assuming the indonesian passport is still valid. Whenever an Indonesian apply for a passport renewal in Canada, they have to show proof of status in Canada. If they have Canadian citizenship, Indonesian will then cancel the Indonesian citizenship.
He renewed it in Indonesia and avoided that problem.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
alphazip said:
Well, I enter the U.S. on a U.S. passport and return to Canada on a Canadian passport. Seems like they'd have the same problem of not being able to find me.
That's true. As far as US is considered you are still in US if you enter Canada with a Canadian passport.

MonBec

Jun 4, 2014
MONTREAL
Category........
Visa Office......
HONG KONG
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can, but it's not as str8 4ward.

First of all, many people misunderstand China's policy on dual citizenship.

China does not recognize your second citizenship, which is not the same thing as "China does not allow dual citizenship". Does not recognize is completely, in law, different from DOES NOT ALLOW.

Secondly, Canada allow and recognize dual relationship, and Canada will not notify Chinese government on Canadian citizen's information.

Previous cases have it: Entering the US with Chinese passport and flying back to Canada from the US with Canadian. The US official said they don't care about a Chinese citizen holding a Canadian passport, but you must not hide such information from the US.

The US also knows that once a person is conferred Canadian citizenship, his Chinese passport is invalidated immediately. So, entering the US with a Chinese passport after taking the Oath, you are experiencing a risk of using fake document.

However, I wouldn't personally give away my Chinese passport as using a non-Chinese passport in China is way too inconvenient.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
MonBec said:
Yes, you can, but it's not as str8 4ward.

First of all, many people misunderstand China's policy on dual citizenship.

China does not recognize your second citizenship, which is not the same thing as "China does not allow dual citizenship". Does not recognize is completely, in law, different from DOES NOT ALLOW.

Secondly, Canada allow and recognize dual relationship, and Canada will not notify Chinese government on Canadian citizen's information.

Previous cases have it: Entering the US with Chinese passport and flying back to Canada from the US with Canadian. The US official said they don't care about a Chinese citizen holding a Canadian passport, but you must not hide such information from the US.

The US also knows that once a person is conferred Canadian citizenship, his Chinese passport is invalidated immediately. So, entering the US with a Chinese passport after taking the Oath, you are experiencing a risk of using fake document.

However, I wouldn't personally give away my Chinese passport as using a non-Chinese passport in China is way too inconvenient.
Very good point about US invalidating Chinese passport if they knew he/she has Canadian citizenship. Would the US inform China of the person using a "fake" document?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
alphazip said:
He renewed it in Indonesia and avoided that problem.
Not really. How would you get back on the plane without your PR card. Your TRV visa is expired the day your passport expired. You will need a new TRV to board the plane back to Canada but you even can't get that since Canadian don't get TRV.

You would need your Canadian passport to get to Canada. Indonesia will know you have Canadian Passport. Doesn't solve the problem.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
That's true. As far as US is considered you are still in US if you enter Canada with a Canadian passport.
A U.S. citizen has to use a U.S. passport to enter the U.S....it's a law. A Canadian citizen would also logically use a Canadian passport to enter Canada. I know a number of duals who switch passports during their trips. A dual Canadian-British friend always shows his British passport throughout Europe...shorter lines. Poland is another country that demands that its citizens enter Poland on a Polish passport, and the U.S. tells Polish Americans that they'll have to do so:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/poland.html

"Similar to U.S. laws that require U.S. citizens to enter and exit on a valid U.S. passport, Poland also requires Polish citizens (including dual U.S.-Polish citizens or those with claims to Polish citizenship) to enter and depart Poland using a Polish passport. If you are a U.S. citizen and also a Polish citizen, or if you are unsure if you hold Polish citizenship, you should contact the nearest Polish consular office for further information."

So, I don't think there's really a problem entering one country on one passport and another on another passport.