+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a refugee outside canada apply for canadian PR

reginerugira

Apr 11, 2018
I am a refugee in south africa and a pharmacist by profession. Am I eligible to apply for canadian PR via the express entry route as a skilled worker outland?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you are but will need to have your degrees evaluated to see what kind of points you may receive for your education and also you must take ielts. Think you need over around 430 to get an invitation. There are a surplus of pharmacists in Canada so doubt you will find the profession on the pnp lists.

reginerugira

Apr 11, 2018
Yes you are but will need to have your degrees evaluated to see what kind of points you may receive for your education and also you must take ielts. Think you need over around 430 to get an invitation. There are a surplus of pharmacists in Canada so doubt you will find the profession on the pnp lists.
Thank you for your respinse.Since a refugee is not allowed to use their own country passport, can I apply with the UNHCR travel document for canadian PR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you apply for express entry which is an economic form of immigration you would have to use your own passport. If accepted you would likely have to abandon your asylum status. You have to see if your degree (once assessed) and your ielts score would even get you close to qualifying for immigration. I would suggest you read up on the express entry program. You may not have enough points to qualify so I wouldn't worry about your passport yet.

Candide

Nov 29, 2019
I also need to know if being a refugee once in South Africa will prevent my application for PR via express entry being approved. I was granted a refugee status in South Africa some years ago but I found a job in another country, so I left South Africa for that country where I live now with a work permit. Will this be a problem with express entry? Please advise

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I also need to know if being a refugee once in South Africa will prevent my application for PR via express entry being approved. I was granted a refugee status in South Africa some years ago but I found a job in another country, so I left South Africa for that country where I live now with a work permit. Will this be a problem with express entry? Please advise
No, it won't be a problem. You will need to declare your history and current status in your application however. Failure to do so is likely to be a cause for misrepresentation.

Reactions: Candide