Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
O7-10-19
AOR Received.
07-10-19
Good day.
To God be all the Glory great things He has done!!!!

I received letter of acceptance and certificate number from CACB today.

However, my certificate wasn't in the email attachment will it be mailed to my mailing address?.

Thanks once again

Hi. Can you please help me. As per CACB'S online application requirements I am asked to submit a portfolio with 2 design projects and a 4 page submission to provide brief of all my design submission during all 5 semesters.

My question is - Do I need to add photos of all my academic design projects in the 4 page submission? I don't have photos of my submissions which were on paper (non-digital) from the 1st two years.

Please suggest what did you submit?
I did my graduation from India and fall under non-accredited category.

Blukie

Apr 29, 2019
Good day... i did not include pictures. i listed all the design courses i did with their codes and gave a brief description of them. i submitted a 2-page summary + portfolio

NMS@

Apr 5, 2019
New Delhi, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
O7-10-19
AOR Received.
07-10-19
Good day... i did not include pictures. i listed all the design courses i did with their codes and gave a brief description of them. i submitted a 2-page summary + portfolio
Thankyou so much for the information. Please check the personal text I am sending you :)

mademoiselle_

Mar 3, 2020
The CACB requirements are for Architects only. Only if you apply for provincial nominations, you would require this certificate early. However, the time you reach Canada, and would want to work as an Architect, you would need to have a License, and thus, this certificate is the first step to process.

Therefore, if you do it early or later, you would require this to work as an Architect there in Canada. The required documents are very hard to get. Therefore, I suggest, you should at least collect all the documents from Universities and ask them to send directly to CACB before leaving from your country.

A Bold answer to you question is: You may not require this Certificate for CIC as they have not asked for it yet. :)
I am considering getting the CACB certificate. However, I have queries about obtaining the title of an 'architect'. If CACB is the first step, what comes next and how does one go about having licensed? Is internship a mandatory step towards it? If yes how long must one intern in a Canadian company? And what are the other steps that follow? Also, to obtain CACB Certification, did you or did you not provide a portfolio? What are the downsides of not providing one? Can one still obtain the certificate without providing a portfolio?

declover

Mar 5, 2020
Assessment time!

Hi, Have submitted my application Nov', 19, 2019, its more than 3 months and still waiting, when I contacted the staff, i was told its a minimum of 3 months and can go on .... very frustrating cause I'am so eager to continue my studies and this is such a turn off. I'am one of a kind, when my achievements are questioned, I'am like, just put off. Don't know how many road blocks would be down my path!! My colleagues in my class have already got the approved!

Suggestion welcome!

NMS@

Apr 5, 2019
New Delhi, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
O7-10-19
AOR Received.
07-10-19
Hi everyone.
I have two questions. Would be thankful for your help.

1. The subjects that were covered before Architecture course, that is during high school, how are they to be proven? I know there is no need to official calendar for that. But CACB has responded to my query saying transcripts would be needed. Has anyone already submitted? Please help. I can get transcripts only from college

2. Would it be fine if I keep my package ready with sealed envelope for transcripts and send it after 4-5 months? Will the date cause any problem?

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
I am considering getting the CACB certificate. However, I have queries about obtaining the title of an 'architect'. If CACB is the first step, what comes next and how does one go about having licensed? Is internship a mandatory step towards it? If yes how long must one intern in a Canadian company? And what are the other steps that follow? Also, to obtain CACB Certification, did you or did you not provide a portfolio? What are the downsides of not providing one? Can one still obtain the certificate without providing a portfolio?
My responses are in red text below:

If CACB is the first step, what comes next and how does one go about having licensed? Is internship a mandatory step towards it? If yes how long must one intern in a Canadian company? And what are the other steps that follow?

Check this link showing the path to licensure in the provincial association of architects of BC (AIBC): https://aibc.ca/wp-content/uploads/files/2019/04/AIBC-IAP-Graphic_v4.1-January-2019.pdf

The steps for foreign architects would be:
1. Apply for and receive Academic Certification from the CACB.
2. Apply for the Intern Architect Program in the province of your residence (ex. OAA in Ontario, AIBC in British Columbia)
3. Complete internship (3,720 hours/ approximately 1 and 1/2 years) under a licensed architect in the same province.
Some provinces require that you also complete some professional development courses during your internship (for ex. BC Building Code in the province of BC)
4. Complete an Oral review (Interview) and write Registration exams.
5. Register as an "Architect' to use the title with the provincial body of architects.

Also, to obtain CACB Certification, did you or did you not provide a portfolio? What are the downsides of not providing one? Can one still obtain the certificate without providing a portfolio?
The submission of a portfolio is not mandatory for 'Academic Certification'. If you completed your course too long ago, you may not have access to your academic materials (as the portfolio can ONLY consist of your academic work), so its fine. The CACB will look at all the particulars of your file and let you know if they have all the information they need.
Perhaps, the only downside of not providing a portfolio is that the CACB could take longer to process your application.
And yes, one can still obtain a certificate without submitting the portfolio.

declover

Mar 5, 2020
Hi,

May I know why CACB takes extremely long to do academic accreditation? monopoly? i submitted my requirements and hefty payment end of june, they committed to finish in two months, on the 60th day i followed up and got a quite rude response that it will take another month. on the nth month they said no evaluation was done on august so end of the next month they say. today is the 5th month anniversary of the submission they say they will assess tom. results next week by snail mail!!! wow!
WOW that's sooo unprofessional on their part, i am in the same boat and still waiting. Did you get a response after all at the nth month?

declover

Mar 5, 2020
Very disappointed and discouraged, its been 3 months and 3 weeks, no response. When i called up, i was told that, my file might be reviewed at their current (end of the month) meeting or the next, or the following!! i was under the impression, ours was, one of the few respected professions to be proud off....... but...

mademoiselle_

Mar 3, 2020
My responses are in red text below:

If CACB is the first step, what comes next and how does one go about having licensed? Is internship a mandatory step towards it? If yes how long must one intern in a Canadian company? And what are the other steps that follow?

Check this link showing the path to licensure in the provincial association of architects of BC (AIBC): https://aibc.ca/wp-content/uploads/files/2019/04/AIBC-IAP-Graphic_v4.1-January-2019.pdf

The steps for foreign architects would be:
1. Apply for and receive Academic Certification from the CACB.
2. Apply for the Intern Architect Program in the province of your residence (ex. OAA in Ontario, AIBC in British Columbia)
3. Complete internship (3,720 hours/ approximately 1 and 1/2 years) under a licensed architect in the same province.
Some provinces require that you also complete some professional development courses during your internship (for ex. BC Building Code in the province of BC)
4. Complete an Oral review (Interview) and write Registration exams.
5. Register as an "Architect' to use the title with the provincial body of architects.

Also, to obtain CACB Certification, did you or did you not provide a portfolio? What are the downsides of not providing one? Can one still obtain the certificate without providing a portfolio?
The submission of a portfolio is not mandatory for 'Academic Certification'. If you completed your course too long ago, you may not have access to your academic materials (as the portfolio can ONLY consist of your academic work), so its fine. The CACB will look at all the particulars of your file and let you know if they have all the information they need.
Perhaps, the only downside of not providing a portfolio is that the CACB could take longer to process your application.
And yes, one can still obtain a certificate without submitting the portfolio.

Hi, thank you for your response. I have a query regarding portfolio submission. What must it comprise of? The entire studies carried out throughout our course - history, humanities etc. or just the thesis and other design related works?

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
Hi, thank you for your response. I have a query regarding portfolio submission. What must it comprise of? The entire studies carried out throughout our course - history, humanities etc. or just the thesis and other design related works?
When you apply for academic certification online, you get a list of documents to be submitted with a brief description of each.
For the Portfolio, it states the following:
'Portfolio of academic design: Although the submission of a portfolio of academic design is not mandatory with the initial application, it is strongly recommended that applicants submit one in order to expedite the certification process. When submitting a portfolio of school work, it should be made of copies (no originals) of individual work produced within a regular design studio of the architectural program. The portfolio shall include at least the final (last) design project of the said program and/or two other projects produced in the last two years of the program'
Dimensions of submissions: 21.59 cm by 27.94 cm ( 8 1/2 by 11") to 27.97 cm x 43.18 cm (11 by 17") folded into 21.59 cm by 27.94 cm ( 8 1/2 by 11")
Format: Mechanical binding with soft cover or in PDF format on a USB drive
UNQUOTE
To answer your question, they expect architectural design projects independently handled by the applicant as a part of the design studio. This would perhaps include either all the design sheets or a curated set communicating the design package. Its important to submit at least the Final Year design project and two others from the last two years. As far as the Portfolio is concerned, this implies that they don't care about work produced in other studios.
However, you are free to include it if you consider it important since they do not mention a limit to the number of sheets. Also, since soft copies are also accepted, that gives you more flexibility.

taaran.s

Nov 21, 2017
In my case, course calender was already in CACB database. But I asked the university anyway to give me a certified copy to help me filling the forms. I think you should ask for your program calendar. They usually keep a record for all the years.
For the portfolio I collected 4 projects (2 from the graduation year). For each project you should mention the scale, typology, program, requirements and which year.
I didn't have an academic portfolio at that time (only a professional one) so I printed a simple 6 pages portfolio 2-sided.
Hi,submitting a professional portfolio helps? Did you get your certification.I am planning to apply for it without the portfolio.

taaran.s

Nov 21, 2017
Well, it took almost 3 months to get the certificate.
I probably had a very less experience, so I had to go with CACB Certificate only. In that group there are applicants who also applied for BEFA. On the other hand, with my case, CACB only has course calendar in their database, if there is anyone who applied from your batch. In my case, CACB had my course calendar for Bachelor degree but not for masters.
Hi, Did you submit a portfolio? I am planning to apply and worried about the portfolio.Any suggestions and tips while filling the form?

arch.ramy

Jun 8, 2018
Hi,submitting a professional portfolio helps? Did you get your certification.I am planning to apply for it without the portfolio.
No, professional portfolio is only needed for BEFA pathway. Yes, I got provisional certificate at first then I finished Arch:645 and got the full certificate. It is a long road but it is not impossible. FYI provisional certificate is only valid for 18 months.

Robertogogr

Star Member
May 8, 2020
Hi guys , my wife and I are waiting for the CACB certification, she submitted all docs on December, February for me, still no answer back from them, I phoned last week regarding my case but they said they are still working and I will get News from them when final decision is made.

hopefully everything will be fine soon, finger crossed .