+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

C-6 Citizenship Applications, Frequently Asked Questions

PRian

Apr 24, 2012
Hello,

I did not include the day of becoming a permanent resident as an absence day in the calculator (I did flag-poling without having a US Visa).
Now my file is in process, should I send an explanation letter?

3bdcanada

Mar 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-Feb-2015
Hi

I landed in Jan 2015 as a PR using my newly issued passport. Before that, I had an old passport which I need to submit for my citizenship application since it falls within my 5-year eligibility period. Do i need to translate the stamps in my old passport though I won't claim any day in Canada during the old passport validity period?

learner2016

Dec 21, 2015
Hi guys

This question was asked and answered many times in the forum, though I didn't find a convicing reply so far.
It is in regards to IDs to be provided. The official guide says:
  • photocopies of all valid and expired passports or travel documents you had in the past 5 years. If you don’t have these documents or there are gaps in time between travel documents, we will ask for an explanation.
  • if you didn’t have a passport in the past 5 years:
    • photocopies of 2 pieces of government issued identification with your name, date of birth and photograph
  • if you had a passport in the past 5 years:
    • photocopies of 1 piece of government issued identification with your name, date of birth and photograph
  • Photocopy of personal identification
If you notice we have two notices of ID to be provided, though the CHECKLIST has only one.

I have a passport, so I provide:
1) Passport's copy
2) PR card as a government issued ID
3) Should I provide a third ID????

In advance, I could have provided another ID to eliminate the question, but my driver's licence is issued from my previous address, my health card doesn't have a photo, and all other options would require time and time. So, I DON'T WANT DO THAT.

I'd really appreciate any forum's gurus reply, especially those who already received AOR submitting only ONE ID.
LET'S clarify this question once and for all.

Thanks

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi guys

This question was asked and answered many times in the forum, though I didn't find a convicing reply so far.
It is in regards to IDs to be provided. The official guide says:
  • photocopies of all valid and expired passports or travel documents you had in the past 5 years. If you don’t have these documents or there are gaps in time between travel documents, we will ask for an explanation.
  • if you didn’t have a passport in the past 5 years:
    • photocopies of 2 pieces of government issued identification with your name, date of birth and photograph
  • if you had a passport in the past 5 years:
    • photocopies of 1 piece of government issued identification with your name, date of birth and photograph
  • Photocopy of personal identification
If you notice we have two notices of ID to be provided, though the CHECKLIST has only one.

I have a passport, so I provide:
1) Passport's copy
2) PR card as a government issued ID
3) Should I provide a third ID????

In advance, I could have provided another ID to eliminate the question, but my driver's licence is issued from my previous address, my health card doesn't have a photo, and all other options would require time and time. So, I DON'T WANT DO THAT.

I'd really appreciate any forum's gurus reply, especially those who already received AOR submitting only ONE ID.
LET'S clarify this question once and for all.

Thanks
Technically, a PR card fulfils all the requirements for a government issued photo ID with name, DOB and photograph.

Actually, several people in this forum reported that their application was accepted with the PR card as an ID. At the same time some other people reported it was not accepted. This might, however, have been due to the case workers not being used yet to the new rules (the old rules required PR card plus and ID, the new rules just require ID).

I don't know what it's like in your province of residence, but in Ontario, when you change the address on your drivers licence it takes maybe like a week or two to get the new DL with the updated address in the mail. And what are two weeks in light of waiting for 6-12 months for citizenship, really? :)

GoodMorningCanada

Star Member
Sep 13, 2017
@spyfy
Question: Applied for PR renewal then after a month applied for Citizenship in 16 Oct 2017, got AOR for citizenship app in 7 Nov 2017.
ever since the AOR no movements, still not in progress, however we got our renewed PR cards in mail last week.
do you think PR renewal application could be the reason for causing this delay? and now since the cards have been renewed my application may progress further? getting worried, need some advice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
@spyfy
Question: Applied for PR renewal then after a month applied for Citizenship in 16 Oct 2017, got AOR for citizenship app in 7 Nov 2017.
ever since the AOR no movements, still not in progress, however we got our renewed PR cards in mail last week.
do you think PR renewal application could be the reason for causing this delay? and now since the cards have been renewed my application may progress further? getting worried, need some advice.

Thanks in advance for your help.
No, there is no link between these two applications. They are done independently.

It is not uncommon for citizenship applications to be stuck in AOR for a while. I have been saying this over and over again: Getting an early AOR means nothing (hence, I don't understand why people are so obsessed with getting AOR fast). When wondering if your application is slow you should not look at the AOR date but the application date. You simply got a very early AOR, but the local office might not work on the applications by AOR date.

Look at the spreadsheet and check: How many people who applied in October are not in process yet. That is still 23% of applications according to the spreadsheet. So it is perfectly normal not to be in process yet.

I highly recommend not to compartmentalize your wait like this (when do I get AOR? When do I get IP? When do I get test invite?) and instead think this: Expect to get citizenship about 8-12 months after applying. This is the only benchmark you should set, overthinking every single step makes you see ghosts :)

rinkupatel.dmj

Mar 13, 2013
Toronto, ON, CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2013
Doc's Request.
15/05/2014
AOR Received.
11-12-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with the Application
File Transfer...
21-12-2013
Med's Request
UPFRONT - 12-04-2014
Med's Done....
ECAS UPDATED: 25-04-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-11-2014 / Change of VO 11-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2014
LANDED..........
31-12-2014 @ Rainbow Bridge, Niagara Falls
@spyfy I was going through my application and realized that I forgot to write "current" for question# 13 on the application form. Yeh I just left it blank.
I'm curious and worried now.
Just wanna know if my application will be returned back to me considering it as incomplete or would they understand my current nationality from the passport's photo copy.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Any idea how long does it take for non-routine applications currently?
There is no benchmark for non routine applications since they are handled differently and individually

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
@spyfy I was going through my application and realized that I forgot to write "current" for question# 13 on the application form. Yeh I just left it blank.
I'm curious and worried now.
Just wanna know if my application will be returned back to me considering it as incomplete or would they understand my current nationality from the passport's photo copy.
Most likely they will understand that this is still your citizenship, no worries.

Reactions: rinkupatel.dmj

rinkupatel.dmj

Mar 13, 2013
Toronto, ON, CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2013
Doc's Request.
15/05/2014
AOR Received.
11-12-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with the Application
File Transfer...
21-12-2013
Med's Request
UPFRONT - 12-04-2014
Med's Done....
ECAS UPDATED: 25-04-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-11-2014 / Change of VO 11-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2014
LANDED..........
31-12-2014 @ Rainbow Bridge, Niagara Falls
Most likely they will understand that this is still your citizenship, no worries.
Yeh Hope they understand it and wont return it back to me. I saw guys who applied in early January 2018 started getting their AOR.
Hence, let me wait until couple day more and we will find out.

Thanks for you reply @spyfy I appreciate your hardwork and dedication for this volunteer work you put in.

Reactions: spyfy

learner2016

Dec 21, 2015
Technically, a PR card fulfils all the requirements for a government issued photo ID with name, DOB and photograph.

Actually, several people in this forum reported that their application was accepted with the PR card as an ID. At the same time some other people reported it was not accepted. This might, however, have been due to the case workers not being used yet to the new rules (the old rules required PR card plus and ID, the new rules just require ID).

I don't know what it's like in your province of residence, but in Ontario, when you change the address on your drivers licence it takes maybe like a week or two to get the new DL with the updated address in the mail. And what are two weeks in light of waiting for 6-12 months for citizenship, really? :)
Spyfy,
I appreciate your reply and your support to all forum participants.

Probably I didn't state it clear enough. My question was not about validity of PR card as an ID - in fact, I'm going to submit my PR card along with passport. The question is about sufficiency of ONLY TWO IDs for the application. Or, THREE of them are required minimum.
So, I asked forum participants if somebody applied with Passport and PR card only and received AOR???
As for my driver's licence, I recently moved to Ontario from another province, and there are factors which delay the issuing of a new DL.

Thank you
I'd appreciate any response from guys who received their AOR and are in further state of the process!

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Spyfy,
I appreciate your reply and your support to all forum participants.

Probably I didn't state it clear enough. My question was not about validity of PR card as an ID - in fact, I'm going to submit my PR card along with passport. The question is about sufficiency of ONLY TWO IDs for the application. Or, THREE of them are required minimum.
So, I asked forum participants if somebody applied with Passport and PR card only and received AOR???
As for my driver's licence, I recently moved to Ontario from another province, and there are factors which delay the issuing of a new DL.

Thank you
I'd appreciate any response from guys who received their AOR and are in further state of the process!
You are counting wrong. Your passport does NOT count as an ID.

With your application, you must submit an ID with your name, DOB and photo. Again, your passport does not count as ID. You must submit your valid passport (and all old passports in the last five years) PLUS one ID.

So you can either submit your PR card as ID and hope it works (it seems to work more frequently now than in October when the officers weren't trained yet, people have reported that it was accepted) OR you have to submit your health card, drivers licence or similar.

learner2016

Dec 21, 2015
You are counting wrong. Your passport does NOT count as an ID.

With your application, you must submit an ID with your name, DOB and photo. Again, your passport does not count as ID. You must submit your valid passport (and all old passports in the last five years) PLUS one ID.

So you can either submit your PR card as ID and hope it works (it seems to work more frequently now than in October when the officers weren't trained yet, people have reported that it was accepted) OR you have to submit your health card, drivers licence or similar.
Thank you! Really appreciated