+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

C-6 Citizenship Applications, Frequently Asked Questions

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's not the case i'm waiting, but just wanted to make sure i'm not the only one who is having this specially after reading the following on cic website

**Please note that the Online Payment service will be unavailable October 15, 2017, from 8:15 AM EDT to 9:00 AM EDT, in order to perform system maintenance.
It's clear from the message you aren't the only one.

Reactions: blueangel371115

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey can a senior advise on my previous post about FBI checks. I am seeing various thoughts on the matter.
The instructions in the application guide are incredibly clear - that's the only thing you should be going on. What's your question?

Within the last 4 years, if you spent 183 days or more in another country (other than Canada), you must provide a police certificate. You must provide a police certificate for each country where you spent 183 days or more. If you cannot get a police certificate, tell us why.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
none of us see a verify button, many of us have printed, signed and couriered, so are you still waiting for them to add a verify button?
There will be no verify button. It's a new form and different to the PR forms.

Niloos

Oct 12, 2017
One of the members said:
"
raisemyrent said:
my biggest mistake was using a VERY old Xpresspost envelope I had (from when you had to include a pre-paid envelope for CIC to send stuff back to you), and having my application delivered Monday instead of today or tomorrow. I actually applied literally on the first day I was eligible to make up for all the dragging my feet I did over the last mmm 8-9 years which resulted in the goal posts moving (Harper...) and me having to wait even more (plus I will always be horrible with finicky stuff like forms). Truth be told, there were some times earlier on when $550 or so was a bit of cash too.
Funny to think I actually went to school with people who someone managed to become residents while still attending university (to pay less tuition, if nothing else), either by bending the rules, fudging it, or who knows what... I pride myself on playing it by the book but it has become a bit of a running joke for our family and friends here that I pretty much bleed maple syrup but have naught to show for it...
anyhoy.. here's to hoping for a quick turnaround (200 days or less!)"

Does it mean I need to put a returning envelope in the main envelope?

Please note this is a wrong question

Last edited:

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017
Guys, might be silly question to ask but its confusing. (May be overwhelming due to new rule, I'm trying to chill as rezafc said in this post).

Question 13 Tell us if you have had immigration, permanent resident status and/or citizenship in any other country outside of Canada, including your country of birth.

My questions are
1. Does this mean you have to write the current Citizenship status? e.g. I'm XXX Country's Citizen by Birth so do I have to mention that in this question?
[updated]2. I'd Work Permit VISA from UK which is expired, but I never traveled to UK during that time(Project cancelled so I couldn't go). So do I have to mention that? I don't remember if I sent copy of that page from my Passport during PR application. This period was way before I cam to Canada.
First entered Canada 2012 Jan:
UK visa: 2008-2010 (stamped on Passport: never traveled)

Thank you guys for your help, much appreciated.
I'm in a similar situation. I have an Australian PR visa, which is still valid although I never visited. I mentioned it in Q13 but I attached an explanation letter saying I've never been there.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
One of the members said:
"
raisemyrent said:
my biggest mistake was using a VERY old Xpresspost envelope I had (from when you had to include a pre-paid envelope for CIC to send stuff back to you), and having my application delivered Monday instead of today or tomorrow. I actually applied literally on the first day I was eligible to make up for all the dragging my feet I did over the last mmm 8-9 years which resulted in the goal posts moving (Harper...) and me having to wait even more (plus I will always be horrible with finicky stuff like forms). Truth be told, there were some times earlier on when $550 or so was a bit of cash too.
Funny to think I actually went to school with people who someone managed to become residents while still attending university (to pay less tuition, if nothing else), either by bending the rules, fudging it, or who knows what... I pride myself on playing it by the book but it has become a bit of a running joke for our family and friends here that I pretty much bleed maple syrup but have naught to show for it...
anyhoy.. here's to hoping for a quick turnaround (200 days or less!)"

Does it mean I need to put a returning envelope in the main envelope?
No.

Sometimes I think for a lot of people this forum creates more new questions than it answers... :)

J24

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
The instructions in the application guide are incredibly clear - that's the only thing you should be going on. What's your question?

Within the last 4 years, if you spent 183 days or more in another country (other than Canada), you must provide a police certificate. You must provide a police certificate for each country where you spent 183 days or more. If you cannot get a police certificate, tell us why.
Thanks for your response. I guess I am screwed then. I have enough days to apply but by the time I get this FBI check I will lose all of my buffer days which will take my tally way under 1095 since I am in school in the US. I guess I will take my chances and give a reasoning. I just wanted to know if anyone has come across a similar case.

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
I became a PR June 24, 2014 and prior to that I have work permits that were overlapping on dates and a little bit confusing. So on the Physical Presence Calculator even if I am eligible to apply for citizenship, I still need to answer YES to the question about " Do you have a temporary resident status before becoming a PR" (something like that) right? I was kind of debating about this with my friend because she said that I can just answer NO to that question since I do not need extra days anymore because I am eligible without it...

Now, I am in the middle of filling out the form and stumbled on the question 9A and 9B, which to me if I am understanding it right, I needed to provide information of my work permits.

Am I right?

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your response. I guess I am screwed then. I have enough days to apply but by the time I get this FBI check I will lose all of my buffer days which will take my tally way under 1095 since I am in school in the US. I guess I will take my chances and give a reasoning. I just wanted to know if anyone has come across a similar case.
You could TRY to submit your application with an explanation letter - saying that you've applied for the FBI cert and as soon as you receive it you will send it in. They may return your application for being incomplete or they may continue with processing. It's really up to you if it's worth a shot.

Reactions: J24

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I became a PR June 24, 2014 and prior to that I have work permits that were overlapping on dates and a little bit confusing. So on the Physical Presence Calculator even if I am eligible to apply for citizenship, I still need to answer YES to the question about " Do you have a temporary resident status before becoming a PR" (something like that) right? I was kind of debating about this with my friend because she said that I can just answer NO to that question since I do not need extra days anymore because I am eligible without it...

Now, I am in the middle of filling out the form and stumbled on the question 9A and 9B, which to me if I am understanding it right, I needed to provide information of my work permits.

Am I right?
A work permit is temp residence status so yes. Then you enter dates and travel and it'll tell you if you're eligible to apply on your chosen date.

uma057

Oct 5, 2017
Hi my name has different spelling on my birth certificate then my passport. But all of my documents including PR card and passports have same spelling and its consistent throughout i remember. I have also used same name on my PR application and submitted my birth certificate as it is. I have never legally change my name. So i think i just need to say my birth certificate name in question 6 as name at birth and i dont need to provide any additional document.

Guys please share ur thoughts on this situation.

aspirant1

Oct 6, 2017
L1 counts, but B1/B2 does not.
I am not clear on that Q13. Since it says about "13: Tell us if you have had immigration, permanent resident status and/or citizenship in any other country outside of Canada, including your country of birth"...here, usually, H1B /L1 Visa's are non-immigrant visa's. so, i am not specifying those since non-immigrant visa, though i worked there in H1b during my eligibility period for less than a year.

@spyfy: is it clear understanding? or do we need to specify those too?

Last edited:

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi my name has different spelling on my birth certificate then my passport. But all of my documents including PR card and passports have same spelling and its consistent throughout i remember. I have also used same name on my PR application and submitted my birth certificate as it is. I have never legally change my name. So i think i just need to say my birth certificate name in question 6 as name at birth and i dont need to provide any additional document.

Guys please share ur thoughts on this situation.
Sounds right. It asks if your name has changed since PR for a reason. But make sure to list the other name/spelling in the "other names" section.