28-02-2015
File Transfer...
05-03-2015
Med's Done....
26-01-2015
Interview........
23-02-2016
Guys, need guidance with this question please:

9. b) Within the last 5 years, tell us if you held temporary resident status, or protected person’s status in Canada before you became a permanent resident. I had a work permit before PR. My eligibility period starts on 2012-10-14 but I obtained my work permit on 2012-06-21. Which date do I use for "Date your status was obtained"? And for the online presence calculator it asks the same info but if I put the date I obtained the work permit it says the date falls outside the eligibility period yet it still saves it. Slightly confused here. Also the date the status expires the one day before the PR date rather than the actual expiry of the work permit, correct?

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
At the risk of being too repetitive, but my best effort (within time constraints given a looming deadline to submit a manuscript in my day job) to offer some input in the overflow of threads addressing numerous issues, questions, and concerns, and much confusion, related to the roll out of the new form, new rules, and new instructions for citizenship applications, it seems warranted, to me, to repeat with some emphasis a recognition of the problems juxtaposed with positive assurance that IRCC will almost certainly work its way through most of the issues.

In particular . . .

CAUTION: rollout pitfalls; pretty form not-so-pretty muddle; BUT there are reasons to RELAX

As I had cautioned, well before October 11, the roll out of the new citizenship application rules and process probably would be (and it is) fraught with issues. But for the details, the new application form is pretty, a format which office manager types should appreciate, since in form it appears to be user-friendly while at the same time processing-friendly. As usual, however, the devil lurks ominously in the details. And no more than a glance is necessary to see problems lurking in some of the details, as is amply illustrated by the plethora of questions and confusion being discussed in many new topics here.

At this juncture many have already sent their applications off. And it appears many more will do so today or tomorrow. Not the prudent way to navigate this but what is in the hopper is in the hopper, or to mangle metaphors, the cake is in the oven and it is time to wait to see if it rises properly.

But there are reasons to RELAX, to not worry so much.

This is true for those who have (imprudently in my view) rushed sending off an application, and for those preparing an application who are struggling with the many vague, ambiguous, or otherwise problematic questions and instructions.

IRCC is almost certainly going to exercise a good deal of flexibility in how it handles the first batch of applications using the new form and presence calculator.

Sure, many if not most of those who rushed to apply right away can anticipate the processing of their applications to be delayed some, compared to applications made after the-dust-settles, so to say. But for the vast majority of applicants who rushed, that should be the worst of it, a little or a moderate delay in processing. No big deal. No long-term delays. Not much risk of a negative outcome.

In particular, overall:

Applicants who submit an application which is complete and on its face demonstrates their qualification for citizenship, and who make a concerted effort to understand what was requested, as best they can, and who provide as best they can, according to their best assessment of how to respond based on the facts in their situation, a complete, accurate, and honest response, it is most likely all will go well, NO PROBLEM, perhaps some inherent, inevitable delays due to the roll-out-blues, but no serious problems. IRCC is going to accept and deal with various approaches to answering numerous parts of this form, at least until the dust settles and there is more clarification about what IRCC expects.

The above is in large part derived from a longer post, from more detailed observations including discussion about some of the more salient issues. Follow link in quote below to see full post.

But there are reasons to RELAX, to not worry so much.

This is true for those who have (imprudently in my view) rushed sending off an application, and for those preparing an application who are struggling with the many vague, ambiguous, or otherwise problematic questions and instructions.

IRCC is almost certainly going to exercise a good deal of flexibility in how it handles the first batch of applications using the new form and presence calculator.

As badly as the roll out has gone, as poorly composed the form is, and despite that steepest part of the learning curve those total-stranger-bureaucrats will be struggling with when they are processing the first batch of new-rules-new-form applications, IRCC is going to work, and probably work very hard, to make all this work, and thus IRCC will almost certainly be understanding and perhaps very liberal in how it assesses responses to the more confusing and problematic items.

Reactions: ChippyBoy

hs202

Nov 21, 2009
Submitted App. Just did one thing extra. Put names on each application page as I had two applications in one package. Cic no longer has verify button which also automatically puts name on each page. So thought it would be good to do. Dont k ow if matter.
Similarly they ran out of bigger envelope so used smaller one and folded my application in half when inserting

mrfall

Jul 20, 2015

Hey guys
Really I need help I don't understand this point. The calculator said where did you located during 5 years. I landed on may 2014. That mean I have one year and half outside Canada . For another question about 4 years did I spend 183 days outside Canada. In my case, I spend 7 months before I became Permanent resident. SO, do i need Police Clarence for this period? I didn't leave Canada after landing. I am confused.

To89

Oct 11, 2017
Guys, need guidance with two questions please:

9. b) Within the last 5 years, tell us if you held temporary resident status, or protected person’s status in Canada before you became a permanent resident. I had a work permit before PR. My eligibility period starts on 2012-10-14 but I obtained my work permit on 2012-06-21. Which date do I use for "Date your status was obtained"? And for the online presence calculator it asks the same info but if I put the date I obtained the work permit it says the date falls outside the eligibility period yet it still saves it. Slightly confused here. Also the date the status expires the one day before the PR date rather than the actual expiry of the work permit, correct?

10. a) Write all your addresses inside and outside of Canada you used during your eligibility period, including the postal codes, starting with your current home address. If you were residing, employed or attending school outside Canada, you must list all of your foreign addresses, including the postal codes or ZIP codes. We do need to include addresses for family visits to home country, correct?
No, if you were only visiting while you were outside of Canada then you weren't residing outside of Canada therefor you home address would be in Canada.

akcec

Star Member
Jan 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga/Beirut
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-02-2015
AOR Received.
28-02-2015
File Transfer...
05-03-2015
Med's Done....
26-01-2015
Interview........
23-02-2016
No, if you were only visiting while you were outside of Canada then you weren't residing outside of Canada therefor you home address would be in Canada.
Thank you. Any ideas about question 9b?

proudian

Mar 17, 2017
Guys, i missed the required to file column in taxes question, i ticked yes i have filed taxes column for 5 yrs but didnt ticked required to file column, i thought we are required to tick either of the column, is it a big mistake???

Niloos

Oct 12, 2017
I just got off the phone from talking to an agent at IRCC. I asked her the following questions:

I told her my eligibility period which is from oct 2012 to oct 2017.

Questin 12b. You should list all the years from 2012 to 2017 and tick YES to the boxes you were required to file and tick YES if you did file for those years. Tick NO to the boxes if you weren't required to file and you didn't.

Question 15. Language evidence, which in my case is my BA degree from abroad (UK) but there is no box to tick if you have a Dimploma, certificate or transcript of a secondary or post-secondary education completed in Canada or abroad. She said its ok they are just asking you if you have a proof or not and if you do you will send it with your application.
Have two questions:
So for Q12, is 2012,2013,2014,2015,2016 for taxes ?(I lived in Canada all those years and 2017)

For Q15.a I should choose "yes" if I have a degree?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Guys, i missed the required to file column in taxes question, i ticked yes i have filed taxes column for 5 yrs but didnt ticked required to file column, i thought we are required to tick either of the column, is it a big mistake???
The guide does require to fill in both columns. It is probable that they will return your application for being incomplete, however I hope not .. given you did file the taxes and indicated so.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Have two questions:
So for Q12, is 2012,2013,2014,2015,2016 for taxes ?(I lived in Canada all those years and 2017)

For Q15.a I should choose "yes" if I have a degree?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, 2012 - 2016 for taxes.
And Yes to 15a if you have a degree for a course done in English or French.

Reactions: Niloos

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
Found a mistake in my application after i sent it :(

If my application is returned because of date error (to date is less than from date), is it bad for my future application? Does cic record that my application was received ?

Also, for the question ' have you applied before', I guess I should answer yes?

Should I also attach a letter explaining why application was returned?

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Guys, need guidance with this question please:

I put the actual date status was obtained on the form. But on the calculator I put the start of eligibility date because that's what it asked for. I too was getting that silly warning about dates falling outside when I put actual start date on the calc.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Found a mistake in my application after i sent it :(

If my application is returned because of date error (to date is less than from date), is it bad for my future application? Does cic record that my application was received ?

Also, for the question ' have you applied before', I guess I should answer yes?

Should I also attach a letter explaining why application was returned?
A friend had his application returned for inadequate English language proof. He was able to re-apply and became a citizen no problem. I would think you would answer 'Yes' to "have you applied before" and provide a reason for rejection if at all it gets returned.

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
A friend had his application returned for inadequate English language proof. He was able to re-apply and became a citizen no problem. I would think you would answer 'Yes' to "have you applied before" and provide a reason for rejection if at all it gets returned.
Correct duration: October 2012 till August 2013.
I put: October 2012 till August 2012.

I hope they treat this as typo and not a misrepresentation.