Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Driving your Car - from the U.S. to Canada - for 'landing'

OVERVIEW:
It has been opined by many on the forum/s that if u r 'landing' with [driving] your own car - there had been issues/delays at the Border Posts, mainly in the Canadian side. 'Coz, invariably the BSOs expect u to 'import' the car [as u r going to reside here for good]. It's another matter if u r just visiting, or stating that u r 'landing' but returning back into the US imdtly... but remember, then u'd be 'denied' the PR card's application [mostly]... and even then some members notified that they had trouble/s.

However, if u r 'actually' entering Canada for good - it'd be wise that u perform the "Export/Import documentation", which could ease-up the 'landing' process. Here's how it goes - a brief list of the steps that u'd need to undertake for the process:

NOTE:
Exporting cars from the U.S. into Canada is not a simple task, but that does not deter thousands of people carrying out this job every year. The reason could be many -- mainly the price-variance between the two nations... also that, we have this new car & would definitely like to continue with it in Canada as well. The same process also applies if we contemplate importing a car to Canada from the U.S. subsequently.

1. The first thing that you will need to do is find out if your car is 'admissible' into Canada. You can find this information at...
http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

2. Get your car 'insured' by a Canadian insurance company so that you are covered by insurance right from the time that you drive/transport the car from U.S. into Canada.

3. Now, get a 'temporary license plate' with which you can drive around for a month in both U.S. and Canada. You can do that from the MTO, as well as thru most of the U.S. dealers.

4. In order to cross into Canada, you will have to fax your car's 'Certificate of Title' to the US Border Post from where you plan to enter Canada. The customs office will need at least three [3] days to process your title and allow for exporting the car to Canada, so make sure that this process gets completed at least three to four [3-4] days before you reach the border. You will only be allowed to take your car through the customs post to which you have sent your documents. When leaving, you will have to get your Certificate of Title "stamped for export" by U.S. Customs.

5. Before leaving the U.S., ask your car manufacturer to provide a "Proof of Recall-Clearance" document, since this will be required to register your car in Canada.

6. Once you enter Canada, you will have to pass through the CBSA office, where you will be required to produce your car's 'Certificate of Title' and 'Bill of Sale', duly 'stamped for export', by the U.S. Customs Office. You will also be required to pay certain taxes [HST-13%, Excise Tax-$100] and other fees - if applicable (read footnote). Either have cash ready or enough money on your credit card to pay at least $300 or so apart from the HST. You will be given "Form-1" [the 'Vehicle Import Form'], which you will need to get your car registered in Canada.

7. Once in Canada, you will have to get your vehicle undergo both a 'safety' as well as a 'vehicle emission inspection'. And a 'tyre inspection/fitment', if not done so in the U.S.

8. You will be sent "Form-2" ['Vehicle Import Form'] in the mail after about 15 days of entering Canada. You will be required to take the 'Form-1' + 'Form-2' AND the "Proof of Recall-Clearance" document to a 'Federal Inspection Center' that will check whether your vehicle confirms to Canadian vehicle standards and will be recommended changes or additions, if required, or 'passed'.

9. In order to get a Canadian license for your vehicle, you will have to report to your local 'vehicle licensing office' [a Service Canada office dealing with the MTO] with your vehicle's Form-1, Bill of Sale, Original Title, Safety Inspection Certificate, Insurance Certificate and Emission Inspection Certificate; and pay for your license plate & sticker.

10. U'd then receive your car's "Green-Slip" [the Canadian Vehicle License Certificate]... sometimes on-the-spot, while at times sent to you by mail.

Hope that helped.
Qorax
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Footnote:
1. For PR's while 'landing' - these duties/levies/fees r waived off. But, ensure that the same is listed in your form-B4 [either Goods to Follow, or Goods Accompanying, as the case may be].
2. At times, the BSOs at the Border Post might just not budge from taking the charges - in such a scenario, we should pay-up & 'reclaim' it at the Service Canada office - when u go for collecting your Vehicle License Cert. It's known that the amount is refunded, but thru a cheque - recd. later in the post.

Reactions: cc31

thebeast184

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 2010
Doc's Request.
Submitted with App
AOR Received.
FEB 2011
IELTS Request
Submitted w App
Med's Request
Aug 2012
Med's Done....
Sep 2012
Passport Req..
Oct 2012
VISA ISSUED...
NOV 2012
LANDED..........
JAN 2013
Qorax!

You are the best! I had asked a similar question a few times and never got a reply from anyone +1!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

Rod

rslcanada

Jan 7, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2010
Doc's Request.
06-04-2010
AOR Received.
29-07-2010 (2nd) Ecas In Process 28-09-2010
File Transfer...
16-04-2010
Med's Request
04-10-2010 received in mail
Med's Done....
09-10(Oct)-2010 @ CT,USA
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 30'11; PP sent June 9/ rcvd by CIC June 14,2011
VISA ISSUED...
June 20 & DM/received PP June 28, 2011
LANDED..........
August 7, 2011 via Winnipeg, MB stayed for 2wks & be back on July 2012
To Qorax...thanks for this thread.

I will do my landing next month & stay for just 2 wks. I will list my 2 cars in b4A Goods to follow form since I will export them fr US after a year when I return to Canada. Question.... no dues & tax for the 2 cars to be exported next yr, my only expense is the shipping fee, is this true?!? (actually i have just one car here & ill buy another one before I land so I can list it in B4A). I already checked the financing co that its ok to continue the financing in Canada & let them sign the lien satisfied/title holder release form.

any advise will be higly appreciated.

thanks!

stlguy

Star Member
Oct 21, 2008
I have a question about the insurance. I have a US insurance and I will be importing the vehicle to Canada. Should I arrange for a Canadian Car Insurance before I cross the border, or my US insurance will still be valid?

2010 Jan

Jan 25, 2010
stlguy said:
I have a question about the insurance. I have a US insurance and I will be importing the vehicle to Canada. Should I arrange for a Canadian Car Insurance before I cross the border, or my US insurance will still be valid?
Notify your insurance company in US and they will update in their system, you do not need to take insurance from canada seperately but once you come to canada, before the registration of vehicle u need to have insurance from canadian insurance company

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
rslcanada said:
I already checked the financing co that its ok to continue the financing in Canada & let them sign the lien satisfied/title holder release form.
Just make sure that they will really allow you to export the car and continue the financing in Canada. Some financing company might tell you this just to get the business and then retract their statement later on. Only a few financing companies would allow this and I hope the financing co that you are dealing with is one of them. A lien satisfied/title holder release form is only signed if the outstanding balance of the loan is fully paid.

canada_dream100

Jul 30, 2010
Can someone please share information about export from USA....

where (which no.) I need to send (fax) my title and other stuff...

Please also confirm if I have understood point no. 4 -
once I fax my title (and not sure what other information), then (after 3-4 days) I would need to collect "stamped for export" from border once I reach USA border.
There is no other activities involve (at least) in export process....

Please let me know if any other activity is involved in export process....

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
So happy I found this thread! My passport is with Buffalo right now and I should be landing within the next week or two. I'm already in Canada as a visitor, but staying about 30 min from the border. I planned on taking my car (used 2006 Chevy Aveo, licensed in the U.S., I have the title - i.e. no out standing debt on it) and importing it as I was landing. Now I'm not certain what to do.

I called the phone number for the U.S. border station near where I am earlier today. The gentleman I spoke with told me that I need to physically come to the station with my title, two copies and my car 72 business hours before I can get the export stamp. That's not so bad, but then he said my car has to to physically stay in the U.S. the entire time I'm waiting for the stamp!

Is that last part true? I can't return to Canada as a visitor with my car while I'm waiting for them to clear my car for export? I thought I was hearing him wrong, but he repeated it and told me they didn't care where I left it (he told me to find a parking lot) as long as it was in the U.S.

Also, I didn't think about it until after I was off the phone, but if it's 72 business hours doesn't that mean 9 business days instead of just 3 full days?

I guess I will have to call them back, but I'm really confused and not certain what to do at this point. Any advice would be appreciated.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
Each border crossing may have a different requirement. And not all borders accept vehicle exports and some require that you submit original documentation in person or by courier. You need to verify the requirements at your selected crossing in advance. Check the website ucanimport.com, on the lower right corner, click the USA/Canada Border Crossing Info. Here you can select the border where you intend to cross and find out the requirements.

canada_dream100

Jul 30, 2010
thank you all... I have submitted request and got reply by e-mail with steps I need to do for USA office...
trying to confirm steps for Canada (for import & registration) in different thread...
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/car-import-modification-has-any-one-tried-t90339.0.html

canada_dream100

Jul 30, 2010
qorax said:
Driving your Car - from the U.S. to Canada - for 'landing'

OVERVIEW:
It has been opined by many on the forum/s that if u r 'landing' with [driving] your own car - there had been issues/delays at the Border Posts, mainly in the Canadian side. 'Coz, invariably the BSOs expect u to 'import' the car [as u r going to reside here for good]. It's another matter if u r just visiting, or stating that u r 'landing' but returning back into the US imdtly... but remember, then u'd be 'denied' the PR card's application [mostly]... and even then some members notified that they had trouble/s.

However, if u r 'actually' entering Canada for good - it'd be wise that u perform the "Export/Import documentation", which could ease-up the 'landing' process. Here's how it goes - a brief list of the steps that u'd need to undertake for the process:

NOTE:
Exporting cars from the U.S. into Canada is not a simple task, but that does not deter thousands of people carrying out this job every year. The reason could be many -- mainly the price-variance between the two nations... also that, we have this new car & would definitely like to continue with it in Canada as well. The same process also applies if we contemplate importing a car to Canada from the U.S. subsequently.

1. The first thing that you will need to do is find out if your car is 'admissible' into Canada. You can find this information at...
http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

2. Get your car 'insured' by a Canadian insurance company so that you are covered by insurance right from the time that you drive/transport the car from U.S. into Canada.

3. Now, get a 'temporary license plate' with which you can drive around for a month in both U.S. and Canada. You can do that from the MTO, as well as thru most of the U.S. dealers.

4. In order to cross into Canada, you will have to fax your car's 'Certificate of Title' to the US Border Post from where you plan to enter Canada. The customs office will need at least three [3] days to process your title and allow for exporting the car to Canada, so make sure that this process gets completed at least three to four [3-4] days before you reach the border. You will only be allowed to take your car through the customs post to which you have sent your documents. When leaving, you will have to get your Certificate of Title "stamped for export" by U.S. Customs.

5. Before leaving the U.S., ask your car manufacturer to provide a "Proof of Recall-Clearance" document, since this will be required to register your car in Canada.

6. Once you enter Canada, you will have to pass through the CBSA office, where you will be required to produce your car's 'Certificate of Title' and 'Bill of Sale', duly 'stamped for export', by the U.S. Customs Office. You will also be required to pay certain taxes [HST-13%, Excise Tax-$100] and other fees - if applicable (read footnote). Either have cash ready or enough money on your credit card to pay at least $300 or so apart from the HST. You will be given "Form-1" [the 'Vehicle Import Form'], which you will need to get your car registered in Canada.

7. Once in Canada, you will have to get your vehicle undergo both a 'safety' as well as a 'vehicle emission inspection'. And a 'tyre inspection/fitment', if not done so in the U.S.

8. You will be sent "Form-2" ['Vehicle Import Form'] in the mail after about 15 days of entering Canada. You will be required to take the 'Form-1' + 'Form-2' AND the "Proof of Recall-Clearance" document to a 'Federal Inspection Center' that will check whether your vehicle confirms to Canadian vehicle standards and will be recommended changes or additions, if required, or 'passed'.

9. In order to get a Canadian license for your vehicle, you will have to report to your local 'vehicle licensing office' [a Service Canada office dealing with the MTO] with your vehicle's Form-1, Bill of Sale, Original Title, Safety Inspection Certificate, Insurance Certificate and Emission Inspection Certificate; and pay for your license plate & sticker.

10. U'd then receive your car's "Green-Slip" [the Canadian Vehicle License Certificate]... sometimes on-the-spot, while at times sent to you by mail.

Hope that helped.
Qorax
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Footnote:
1. For PR's while 'landing' - these duties/levies/fees r waived off. But, ensure that the same is listed in your form-B4 [either Goods to Follow, or Goods Accompanying, as the case may be].
2. At times, the BSOs at the Border Post might just not budge from taking the charges - in such a scenario, we should pay-up & 'reclaim' it at the Service Canada office - when u go for collecting your Vehicle License Cert. It's known that the amount is refunded, but thru a cheque - recd. later in the post.
point 2. -- Can someone please suggest, how to (from where to) get Canada car insurance, if I am in USA?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
canada_dream100 said:
point 2. -- Can someone please suggest, how to (from where to) get Canada car insurance, if I am in USA?
Usually U.S. insurance is valid in Canada for temp. visitors, unless otherwise specified in your ins. docs. However, for a permanent move things could be different. In such a scenario most U.S. insurers could offer u a 'limited time/coverage' as a Temp. Travel Insurance. It's wise to Xcheck with your insurance provider to know about their policies, terms & conditions.

Qorax