Ottawa Aug '16
Med's Request
Oct '16 & for PCC
Med's Done....
Nov '16 & for PCC
samleb, thanks for the reply

To samleb, GHBoy,

Question:
1. So is there way to switch to a different employer before receiving a PR or AOR with the current work permit?
2. How long does the LMO takes?
3. Can I apply for Open WP, as contract with my current employer is going to end thou the WP expires in Jan 2014
March.12 - Nova Scotia received my PR application
Till date - no update on AOR,
expecting AOR by end of next week
travelling back to home country in a month, permanently due current contract is end with the current client/employer

What are my options to stay back? other than student visa...

Thanks
kilamans

rajjj

Oct 12, 2010
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
cpp ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2013
Doc's Request.
FEE PAID ONLINE
Nomination.....
NO
AOR Received.
05- 04-2013
IELTS Request
yes
GHboy said:
Hello all!
First, a little background:
I have followed this forum closely since I submitted my PR application in July.
I had applied for a temporary resident visa when my work permit expired in October, and stayed on implied status awaiting a decision. Needless to say, this Bridging Open Work Permit is exactly what I needed to get back to the job market.

Perhaps we can all contribute to the tracking of this new option.
CIC displays weekly updates on paper applications on this page: cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

Handle Application Date Online / Paper Restoration Inclusive? Response Date Comments

Ghboy January 03 Online Yes - -

Wish everyone the best of luck and a successful approval filled new year!!!!!!
how many photos need for apply bow. .....please reply

aquareo

Star Member
Jan 3, 2013
Hi guys,

I need some clarification and some education on BOWP as I don't know much about it.
In my case, I've applied for PR and my application is "in process" under CEC.
My current work permit is expiring in Oct 2013 and I am presenting two scenarios for your valuable comments:
1. My employer applies for LMO for my job around May and depending on processing time, wait for a positive decision (2-3 months) and then apply for a closed work permit (1.5-2 months)
2. Apply for BOWP in June (3 months before current WP expiration) while my LMO application is in process.
3. No LMO application and wait for June to apply for BOWP.

Will appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Thanks!

yohoo

Apr 25, 2013
GHboy said:
Just got back home so I can now type out a thorough reply.

My PGWP expired on 20 October 2012.
I had already applied for a temporary visitor permit on 18 October 2012 to maintain my status in Canada while my CEC was being processed. (best strategy before BOWP program came into effect).
I discovered BOWP program had commenced since December 15 2012 and I filed my online application for a BOWP on January 3 2013.
I received my visitor permit January 15 2013.

My timeline suggests is that I was on Implied Status[/b] from October 21 2012 until January 15 2013.
It appears no restoration of status is needed for BOWP applications filed while you are on Implied Status.

I have no idea what would have happened to my case if I had not been on implied status to maintain my valid status in Canada.
I am also really happy I chose to stay in Canada after my PGWP expired - CEC waiting time is highly unpredictable!

With this WP I can finally go on vacation - 8) :p ;D
can you tell a lit more about how you file the BOWP application? I check the cic web, and can not find any instruction about how you file the application online.
and what kind of document you need to included?
thank you very much

Cruiser55

Apr 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
Doc's Request.
21.02.2014 RPRF and BIODATA requested
AOR Received.
27-08-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP sent with application.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived.
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Ashi87 said:
Hey everyone,

I want to share a good news with you all.
I applied for BOWP on Feb 27, 2013 online. My original work permit expired on Dec14, 2012 and I couldn't extend it at that time cause I didn't have LMO. So I applied for the study permit- Which I was approved on Feb28, 2013.

I applied for BOWP on Feb 27, 2013 with (restoration fee + application fee) - I got it today in my mail..

I got inspired for GHboy and went ahead and applied..
I was also told by the call center that you can't apply and all that blah blah but I still did..
and here I am - I got it..

Congratulations ASH,
I am sorry I am not sure if U understand correctly.

In my case, my closed work permit expires in Sep 2014 and it is very difficult to find an employer who will give me a new LMO. I al ready qualify for my CEC PR and will be applying for the PR (sending the documents latest by next month).

My questions are:
1) I still do have to wait for to receive my AOR to apply right?
2) And once I receive my AOR and even if my closed work permit expires in SEP 2014, I can still apply for BOWP right away?

Please help

I wish you all good luck..

Ashi :)

Cruiser55

Apr 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
Doc's Request.
21.02.2014 RPRF and BIODATA requested
AOR Received.
27-08-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP sent with application.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived.
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
GHboy said:
Hey guys! I got great news this morning.
Checked my inbox and saw a notification about a message in MyCIC account.
Message below:

This letter refers to your application for Work Permit.
Your application has been approved and your new document will be sent to you separately.
You are authorized to remain in Canada under the conditions listed on the document(s). Please
read them carefully.
The correct processing fee for your application is $150.00. As you submitted $350.00, a
refund for the overpayment of $200.00 has been requested on your behalf. This refund
will be issued in the near future. Please note that if another person has paid the fee on
your behalf, the refund will be issued to that person.
If you require any further extension of your status, you should submit an application to this office
at least one month prior to the expiry of your new document(s).
NOTE: Passports must be valid for the duration of your stay in Canada. Documents will not be
issued beyond the validity of passports.

I applied for the BOWP while I was on implied status awaiting my visitor permit.
The refund is for the unprocessed restoration of status.

Handle Application Date Online / Paper Restoration Inclusive? Response Date Comments

Ghboy January 03 Online Yes February 25 Restoration not processed as was on implied status.

55 days processing time isn't bad, but, it could be improved to a 30 day window. Much better than the original 78 day estimate!
Super excited.
Cheers
Congratulations once again GHboy on receiving your open work permit (BOWP),

In my case, I was laid off in March 2013 and my closed work permit expires in Sep 2014 and it is very difficult to find an employer who will give me a new LMO so that I can get back into the workforce.
I already qualify for my CEC PR and will be applying for the PR (sending the documents latest by next month). I have more than one year of work experience under NOC 0

My questions are:
1) I still do have to wait for to receive my AOR to apply for BOWP right?
2) And once I receive my AOR and even if my closed work permit expires in SEP 2014, I can still apply for BOWP right away or do I have to wait until there is only 4 months left on my work permit for it to expire?

3) Please give me any suggestions that you may have as I will be sending off my papers for CEC PR next month (May 2013) and right now I am getting together all my papers.

Please help

CEC2013

Dec 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 FEB 2013
Doc's Request.
26 NOV 2013 (RPRF)
AOR Received.
14 MAR 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application.
Med's Request
27 NOV 2013
Med's Done....
29 NOV 2013
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
09 DEC 2013
VISA ISSUED...
19 DEC 2013
LANDED..........
21 DEC 2013
Received notification from CIC this morning...BOWP approved. myCIC sent me a notification to my email that there is a message waiting for me. Opened myCIC and downloaded the letter. It states that I was approved for a 1 year extension and that a hard copy is in the mail.

Now the hard part...waiting on CEC. Good luck everyone whos still waiting!! :)

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Hi Cruiser,

1 - Yes you have to wait for the AOR - that is the crucial requirement.
2 - Based on experiences of atleast 3 members of this forum, you DONT have to wait for the 4 months before your WP expiry. I'm aware that OB485 clearly states:

They have valid status on a WP that is due to expire within 4 months;

But I have seen atleast 3 members on this forum - their application was not qualifying as per the above criteria - still they got BOWP.

The last applicant is EXACTLY IN YOUR situation. Valid Closed Work Permit due to expire in 12 months. Still got BOWP. Only difference is, you would have lesser time remaining between your AOR and your closed work permit expiry. And that should help your case more. But the criteria 'DUE TO EXPIRE WITHIN 4 MONTHS' is NOT being strictly implemented by CIC. Check the message link below:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/bowp-how-many-of-you-have-applied-and-received-it-successfully-t139027.0.html;msg2238143#msg2238143

My suggestion - apply for the BoWP, explain your situation. Perhaps this member in the link above will be able to help you more regarding what to write in the explanation letter. You'll only loose $150, if they rejected citing the same criteria. My guess is, every single officer is using their own discretion.

3- CEC - application - send it as soon as you fulfill all the requirements - the 12 month requirement, calculate your working hours, have a detailed company reference letter etc, pay stubs, T4, NOA. If you have police certificates, send it now. If not, you can send it later as well, but do mention that in a cover letter.

All the best - and keep us posted.

Cruiser55 said:
Congratulations once again GHboy on receiving your open work permit (BOWP),

In my case, I was laid off in March 2013 and my closed work permit expires in Sep 2014 and it is very difficult to find an employer who will give me a new LMO so that I can get back into the workforce.
I already qualify for my CEC PR and will be applying for the PR (sending the documents latest by next month). I have more than one year of work experience under NOC 0

My questions are:
1) I still do have to wait for to receive my AOR to apply for BOWP right?
2) And once I receive my AOR and even if my closed work permit expires in SEP 2014, I can still apply for BOWP right away or do I have to wait until there is only 4 months left on my work permit for it to expire?

3) Please give me any suggestions that you may have as I will be sending off my papers for CEC PR next month (May 2013) and right now I am getting together all my papers.

Please help

jo.bibi

May 8, 2013
CEC2013 said:
Received notification from CIC this morning...BOWP approved. myCIC sent me a notification to my email that there is a message waiting for me. Opened myCIC and downloaded the letter. It states that I was approved for a 1 year extension and that a hard copy is in the mail.

Now the hard part...waiting on CEC. Good luck everyone whos still waiting!! :)
Hi, I am new in this forum.
I'm working on my online BOWP application now.
I am not sure I should select the "work permit with the same employer" or "new employer". I have a job currently, but I am planning to quit in July maybe.
And my current wp will be expired at the end of Sep. Any advise?
Thank you for replying.

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
jo.bibi said:
Hi, I am new in this forum.
I'm working on my online BOWP application now.
I am not sure I should select the "work permit with the same employer" or "new employer". I have a job currently, but I am planning to quit in July maybe.
And my current wp will be expired at the end of Sep. Any advise?
Thank you for replying.
Welcome 2 da 4rm Bibi,

Select "new employer" - as selecting the same might confuse them.

Do write a cover letter - explaining that you are applying for a Bridging Open Work Permit.

I have seen successful BOWP cases here when the existing wp was expiring after 12 months. So I guess your should be fine.

All the best.

pokie

Star Member
Dec 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-July-2015
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
09-Sept-2015. "In process" 10-Sept-2015. Accra started processing Sept 23,2015. Medicals results received Oct 14,2015.
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
June-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 21, 2016, didnt see the email until May 31,201. Passport sent to VO June 2, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
June 6, 2016
LANDED..........
June 16,2016
Hi guys,
I'm very happy to have come across this thread. I have gone through all your posting and I must say Thank you to each and everyone of you. I have some question regarding filling the IMM5710F. I know am meant to fill page 1 of 5, 2 of 5 and other pages.

I know am not meant to fill the DETAIL OF INTEND WORK IN CANADA on page 3 of 5.The big question is do I fill the EMPLOYEMENT section on page 3 of 5??

Also, some people are saying it would be best I attach the BOWP brochure along with my application as the officer who would be accessing my case might not have an idea of this?

What else would you advice me to submit with my application?

Thank you in advance! :)

pokie

Star Member
Dec 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-July-2015
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
09-Sept-2015. "In process" 10-Sept-2015. Accra started processing Sept 23,2015. Medicals results received Oct 14,2015.
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
June-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 21, 2016, didnt see the email until May 31,201. Passport sent to VO June 2, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
June 6, 2016
LANDED..........
June 16,2016
least I forget, should also fill out the "Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409] form"??? I'm in a common-law union. Thanks!

Jhendi

Apr 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May, 2, 2013
AOR Received.
May 25, 2013
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
Jan. 24, 2014
Med's Done....
Feb. 5, 2014
Hi all,

I am a May 2013 applicant for CEC still awaiting for my AOR.

I am currently unemployed since Dec. 2012 when my AAA calgary company where i got my 1 year skilled work experience closed down for good. I have an existing Closed WP with AAA company which expires Dec. 2014.

I got a Job offer last Jan. 2013 with BBB calgary company who applied an LMO for me. After a long wait, the LMO got approved and I applied my WP application for BBB company last April 2, 2013.

Due to personal and some other reasons, I needed to moved for good from calgary to edmonton. I decided not to take the job offer of BBB calgary company and moved to edmonton last May just right after i send my CEC application.

Last week, i received an email from My CIC account which is an approval for my work permit application for BBB company. (dumb me, I should have cancelled the application the day i decided not to take the job). This makes my scenario more complicated. :'( :'( :'(

Now, i have 2 existing closed WP which expires more than a year (didn't get the hard copy of BBB WP since it was send to my previous calgary address) but still unemployed since both permit is closed.

I am so desperate and I need some advice and comments with my very complicated scenario.

Am i illegible to apply for BOWP once i get my AOR? If yes, what should i include with my application? This is my only hope to get back into workforce the fastest. Im running out of $$$ for my expenses.

Thanks

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Jhendi said:
Hi all,

I am a May 2013 applicant for CEC still awaiting for my AOR.

I am currently unemployed since Dec. 2012 when my AAA calgary company where i got my 1 year skilled work experience closed down for good. I have an existing Closed WP with AAA company which expires Dec. 2014.

I got a Job offer last Jan. 2013 with BBB calgary company who applied an LMO for me. After a long wait, the LMO got approved and I applied my WP application for BBB company last April 2, 2013.

Due to personal and some other reasons, I needed to moved for good from calgary to edmonton. I decided not to take the job offer of BBB calgary company and moved to edmonton last May just right after i send my CEC application.

Last week, i received an email from My CIC account which is an approval for my work permit application for BBB company. (dumb me, I should have cancelled the application the day i decided not to take the job). This makes my scenario more complicated. :'( :'( :'(

Now, i have 2 existing closed WP which expires more than a year (didn't get the hard copy of BBB WP since it was send to my previous calgary address) but still unemployed since both permit is closed.

I am so desperate and I need some advice and comments with my very complicated scenario.

Am i illegible to apply for BOWP once i get my AOR? If yes, what should i include with my application? This is my only hope to get back into workforce the fastest. Im running out of $$$ for my expenses.

Thanks
Hi Jhendi,

I understand, it must be pretty tough. You already lost a job and then you had to decline a job offer - im sure that must be a difficult decision.

But you can definitely apply for BOWP, even though you have a closed WP expiring way beyond 4 months.
Firstly, I hope you read everything about BOWP, all the 4 criterias and other details? Incase not - you may want to take a glance first (none of us are lawyers here so we can always miss something crucial!) http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob485.asp

Once you are done reading that - you will say 'oh i can't apply cuz my WPs are expiring in Dec 2014' which is way beyond the 'within 4months' criteria.

Fortunately, applicants have applied who were in similar conditions (closed WPs) and they have got BOWPs. I will give you the link below of an applicant who had a closed WP and the contract was ending. So the person explained everything clearly in a cover letter, while applying for BOWP. And got it.

So the key is you haven't done anything wrong. The first employer closed down and you are not working for the second employer either. So you need a BOWP to work while your CEC is being processed.

Here's the link to that post
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/bowp-how-many-of-you-have-applied-and-received-it-successfully-t139027.0.html;msg2238143#msg2238143

The member Spring.bustle is still active and pretty nice person. You can get in touch with the person too to get some advice on what to write in your cover letter.

I hope I helped you and not confused you more :)

Jhendi

Apr 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May, 2, 2013
AOR Received.
May 25, 2013
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
Jan. 24, 2014
Med's Done....
Feb. 5, 2014
@ infoseeker 12.

Yes, it was a pretty hard decision that i need to do.

Thanks for all the insights though specially the link that you provided.

Now, i can get everything ready for my BOWP application and send it as soon as i get my AOR. fingers crossed hopefully will get my AOR by last week of June.

good luck to me and thanks again.