+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BRIDGING OPEN WORK PERMIT - DEC 2012 ONWARDS

GHboy

Jan 6, 2013
Hello all!
First, a little background:
I have followed this forum closely since I submitted my PR application in July.
I had applied for a temporary resident visa when my work permit expired in October, and stayed on implied status awaiting a decision. Needless to say, this Bridging Open Work Permit is exactly what I needed to get back to the job market.

Perhaps we can all contribute to the tracking of this new option.
CIC displays weekly updates on paper applications on this page: cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

Handle Application Date Online / Paper Restoration Inclusive? Response Date Comments

Ghboy January 03 Online Yes - -

Wish everyone the best of luck and a successful approval filled new year!!!!!!

GHboy

Jan 6, 2013
I have received a couple of PM inquiries about the process for applying online.
You first have to complete the immigration questionnaire and be designated a code which you would then use to retrieve your case specific instructions for obtaining a work permit if you qualify.
cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-how.asp is a good starting point.

ioanag

Star Member
Jun 22, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07- 19-2012
Doc's Request.
06-19-2013 (police clearance for spouse)
AOR Received.
08-16- 2012
File Transfer...
08 -16- 2012
Med's Request
04-20-2013
Med's Done....
04- 24 -2013
Passport Req..
15-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2013
LANDED..........
29-08-2013
Hi guys! I am a July applicant, got AOR inAugust. My pgwp expires Feb. 19. 2013. I called cic today and I asked if I can apply for the bridging work permit with my AOR but they said I can't, I have to wait for another email apparently they will send once they start processing my application. The agent said I need a positive approval email or something like this in order to apply. Need clarification on this...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ioanag said:
Hi guys! I am a July applicant, got AOR inAugust. My pgwp expires Feb. 19. 2013. I called cic today and I asked if I can apply for the bridging work permit with my AOR but they said I can't, I have to wait for another email apparently they will send once they start processing my application. The agent said I need a positive approval email or something like this in order to apply. Need clarification on this...
According to CIC publication,
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob485.asp

CEC: the “Eligibility CEC” decision has been set to “Passed” or the Acknowledgement of Receipt letter/e-mail has been sent from CIO.

If you go to the bulletin, you'll see there are different criteria for the different programs. Sometimes call centre agents get it wrong, esp. when the program is new. You should apply -

ioanag

Star Member
Jun 22, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07- 19-2012
Doc's Request.
06-19-2013 (police clearance for spouse)
AOR Received.
08-16- 2012
File Transfer...
08 -16- 2012
Med's Request
04-20-2013
Med's Done....
04- 24 -2013
Passport Req..
15-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2013
LANDED..........
29-08-2013
Thank you! I'll call again tomorrow to clarify, I'll make them aware of the criteria provided on their website!

maker87

Sep 4, 2012
Hey all, any thoughts on this would be helpful:

Are we eligible to apply for the Bridge Open WP if the existing WP has expired? In my case, PGWP expired in September and I shifted to the temporary visitor record/permit - got it around November. CEC application is currently at the background enquiry stage - medicals have been received. Can I apply for the Open WP?

GHboy

Jan 6, 2013
Hey guys! I got great news this morning.
Checked my inbox and saw a notification about a message in MyCIC account.
Message below:

This letter refers to your application for Work Permit.
Your application has been approved and your new document will be sent to you separately.
You are authorized to remain in Canada under the conditions listed on the document(s). Please
read them carefully.
The correct processing fee for your application is $150.00. As you submitted $350.00, a
refund for the overpayment of $200.00 has been requested on your behalf. This refund
will be issued in the near future. Please note that if another person has paid the fee on
your behalf, the refund will be issued to that person.
If you require any further extension of your status, you should submit an application to this office
at least one month prior to the expiry of your new document(s).
NOTE: Passports must be valid for the duration of your stay in Canada. Documents will not be
issued beyond the validity of passports.

I applied for the BOWP while I was on implied status awaiting my visitor permit.
The refund is for the unprocessed restoration of status.

Handle Application Date Online / Paper Restoration Inclusive? Response Date Comments

Ghboy January 03 Online Yes February 25 Restoration not processed as was on implied status.

55 days processing time isn't bad, but, it could be improved to a 30 day window. Much better than the original 78 day estimate!
Super excited.
Cheers

yahoo7

Champion Member
Nov 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GHboy said:
Hey guys! I got great news this morning.
Checked my inbox and saw a notification about a message in MyCIC account.
Message below:

This letter refers to your application for Work Permit.
Your application has been approved and your new document will be sent to you separately.
You are authorized to remain in Canada under the conditions listed on the document(s). Please
read them carefully.
The correct processing fee for your application is $150.00. As you submitted $350.00, a
refund for the overpayment of $200.00 has been requested on your behalf. This refund
will be issued in the near future. Please note that if another person has paid the fee on
your behalf, the refund will be issued to that person.
If you require any further extension of your status, you should submit an application to this office
at least one month prior to the expiry of your new document(s).
NOTE: Passports must be valid for the duration of your stay in Canada. Documents will not be
issued beyond the validity of passports.

I applied for the BOWP while I was on implied status awaiting my visitor permit.
The refund is for the unprocessed restoration of status.

Ghboy January 03 Online Yes February 25 Restoration not processed as was on implied status.

55 days processing time isn't bad, but, it could be improved to a 30 day window. Much better than the original 78 day estimate!
Super excited.
Cheers
Were you not holding a valid WP which was expiring within 4 months when you applied for a BOWP?

CEC2013

Dec 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 FEB 2013
Doc's Request.
26 NOV 2013 (RPRF)
AOR Received.
14 MAR 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application.
Med's Request
27 NOV 2013
Med's Done....
29 NOV 2013
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
09 DEC 2013
VISA ISSUED...
19 DEC 2013
LANDED..........
21 DEC 2013
Congrats! And thanks for sharing this mate... :)

GHboy

Jan 6, 2013
Yahoo7 - My PGWP expired in OCT 2013.
CEC 2013 - Thanks!

Now my focus has switched to July PR application.....

yahoo7

Champion Member
Nov 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GHboy said:
CEC 2013 - Thanks!

Are the rules different for Post graduate programs? May be I am missing something here.. Please make me understand...What I read on CIC website is :

Bridging Open WP – Eligibility Parameters

To be eligible for a bridging open WP, the following parameters must be met:

The foreign national is currently in Canada;
They have valid status on a WP that is due to expire within 4 months;
They have received a positive eligibility decision on their PR application under one of the Economic Class programs above; and
They have made application for an open WP.

guelphmm

Star Member
May 27, 2011
GHboy said:
CEC 2013 - Thanks!

HI,
I am filling IMMI5710 form and validated it, it says validated and prints the bar code.

When i save it for uplaoding, validation window shows NO, but there are bar code page available.

Is this normal. Kindly let me know.

Regards,
M

Karioca

Star Member
Aug 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2013
AOR Received.
27-02-2013
Good news GHboy
It would be nice if people that are appling for this new permit give also a feed back here. So all of us will know where we are standing..
Thanks for sharing

GinnyPi

Star Member
Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi GHboy, thanks so much for sharing. This will certainly be encouraging for a lot of people. (like me ;D)