+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) under express entry - connect here

Shubham1394

Oct 26, 2017
I am in Canada on Post-Graduate open work permit. for BOWP(imm5710) which option should I go for
I am applying for one or more of the following:
a) Apply for a work permit with the same employer OR
b) Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer.
c)restore your status as a worker'.
d) get a new TR permit

*note- i can choose option C combined with either A or B

Hi experts , applied for PR recently and I have a doubt about bridging my work permit as I am dependent and my wife is the primary applicant, is it possible to bridge my work permit being dependent in the EE application? Can my wife apply for bridging my OWP at the same time in her CIC account? any one experienced the same please reply....

MelanieL

Star Member
Sep 12, 2019
Yes your wife can apply for you both and pay for you both. I recently got my BOWP for my spouse and I, I am the primary applicant, took 3 months

Prince_11

Jan 6, 2018
British Columbia
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney Nova Scotia
Hi experts , applied for PR recently and I have a doubt about bridging my work permit as I am dependent and my wife is the primary applicant, is it possible to bridge my work permit being dependent in the EE application? Can my wife apply for bridging my OWP at the same time in her CIC account? any one experienced the same please reply....
Correct you are.

nll

Star Member
Dec 12, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have a question about the bridge visa and the biometrics.
I'm currently under the IEC (Work Holiday) program and my visa expires and the end of January 2020 so I have to ask for a bridge visa before the end of the month.

I've sent my PR application and paid the fees on July 5th but I've only recently figured out that I needed to also pay for the biometrics so I could get the letter asking me to go to a center (I thought it was the other way around).

I paid the biometrics fees a week ago and I have submitted the receipt via the online form. They gave me an answer under 3 working days and said that it was sent to the department in charge for consideration.

Now, my common-law work and mine are asking for a proof that we have submitted a bridge visa and I have the following questions:

1/ When starting to apply for the visa, what should I say for the following question: What is your current immigration status in Canada?

Should I select "Worker" or "Temporary Permit Resident Holder"?

I think Worker would be the most appropriate as the second option is saying the following when you click on the help icon "A temporary resident permit holder is a person issued a permit showing they have special permission to be in the country, when they would normally not be allowed to enter Canada or remain here (which I guess is the TRP - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/permits.html)

2/ What should I answer to the following question as I don't want to pay the biometrics fee twice but also don't want to lie about the current situation?

"In the past 10 years, have you given your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) for an application to come to Canada?"
The answer would be "No" but then they will later ask me to pay the biometrics fee.
Should I say yes and provide a LoE and the receipt? Or say no and pay again as I don't have a choice?

Thanks

MelanieL

Star Member
Sep 12, 2019

nll

Star Member
Dec 12, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have a question about the bridge visa and the biometrics.
I'm currently under the IEC (Work Holiday) program and my visa expires and the end of January 2020 so I have to ask for a bridge visa before the end of the month.

I've sent my PR application and paid the fees on July 5th but I've only recently figured out that I needed to also pay for the biometrics so I could get the letter asking me to go to a center (I thought it was the other way around).

I paid the biometrics fees a week ago and I have submitted the receipt via the online form. They gave me an answer under 3 working days and said that it was sent to the department in charge for consideration.

Now, my common-law work and mine are asking for a proof that we have submitted a bridge visa and I have the following questions:

1/ When starting to apply for the visa, what should I say for the following question: What is your current immigration status in Canada?

Should I select "Worker" or "Temporary Permit Resident Holder"?

I think Worker would be the most appropriate as the second option is saying the following when you click on the help icon "A temporary resident permit holder is a person issued a permit showing they have special permission to be in the country, when they would normally not be allowed to enter Canada or remain here (which I guess is the TRP - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/permits.html)

2/ What should I answer to the following question as I don't want to pay the biometrics fee twice but also don't want to lie about the current situation?

"In the past 10 years, have you given your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) for an application to come to Canada?"
The answer would be "No" but then they will later ask me to pay the biometrics fee.
Should I say yes and provide a LoE and the receipt? Or say no and pay again as I don't have a choice?

Thanks
I sent my application so here's what I ended up doing after talking to multiple immigration lawyers. I also called IRCC twice and what they told me was nonsense. Don't take their answer for a given and ask an immigration lawyer instead.

1/ Select "Worker" if you're under the IEC program (Work Holiday Visa)
- The questionnaire should offer the "Open Work Visa" (Permis de travail ouvert)
- Later on, in the IMM5710 form, for the question 3, select "Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer"

2/ There's no choice but to pay again, we got the letter asking us to go to the center the day after we sent the application.
- I'll ask Service Canada during the appointment if there's a way to get my money back

-- If you apply and have a common-law, you can apply online, on the same profile. There should a distinct section for your common-law asking for documents under the section of the main applicant.

Last edited:
Reactions: tassioborges

tassioborges

May 2, 2019
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-02-2020
I sent my application so here's what I ended up doing after talking to multiple immigration lawyers. I also called IRCC twice and what they told me was nonsense. Don't take their answer for a given and ask an immigration lawyer instead.

1/ Select "Worker" if you're under the IEC program (Work Holiday Visa)
- The questionnaire should offer the "Open Work Visa" (Permis de travail ouvert)
- Later on, in the IMM5710 form, for the question 3, select "Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer"

2/ There's no choice but to pay again, we got the letter asking us to go to the center the day after we sent the application.
- I'll ask Service Canada during the appointment if there's a way to get my money back

-- If you apply and have a common-law, you can apply online, on the same profile. There should a distinct section for your common-law asking for documents under the section of the main applicant.
Hi, I'm currently facing the same situation about the biometrics fee, did you manage to get your money back or something? How did it go?
Thanks.

nll

Star Member
Dec 12, 2019
Hi, I'm currently facing the same situation about the biometrics fee, did you manage to get your money back or something? How did it go?
Thanks.
Hi,

I'm still waiting for the PR and the bridge, whichever comes first.

Once I have one or the other, I'll then ask to get my money back since the biometrics for the PR were not required in my case but I still had to pay and give them for the bridge.

I've asked Service Canada when I gave my biometrics and they could not help on this specific matter aka "we've only been trained to take your biometrics, we don't know.

tassioborges

May 2, 2019
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-02-2020
Hi,

I'm still waiting for the PR and the bridge, whichever comes first.

Once I have one or the other, I'll then ask to get my money back since the biometrics for the PR were not required in my case but I still had to pay and give them for the bridge.

I've asked Service Canada when I gave my biometrics and they could not help on this specific matter aka "we've only been trained to take your biometrics, we don't know.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'll have to do the same, then.
Good luck!

Reactions: nll

nll

Star Member
Dec 12, 2019
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'll have to do the same, then.
Good luck!
No worries, good luck as well!

From what I've heard to get reimbursed of the bridge if you get the PR first, it's not hard to get the money back but it can take a lot of time between the request and having the money on your account, we'll see.

AlexMorris

Dec 7, 2018
Hi all,

I need to extend my open work permit. I received the AOR letter for express entry. For the form IMM 5710 I need some answers.

What should I choose for the question(3. Check the appropriate box or boxes to indicate if you are applying for) from following answers.
1.A work permit with the same employer
2.An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer
3.Restoration of your status as a worker
4.An initial or an extension of a temporary resident permit

Also this is what I should pay, is that right?
Work Permit1$155$155
Biometrics Fee1$85$85
Open Work Permit Holder Fee1$100$100

Last edited: