+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP - How many of you have applied and received it successfully?

Jan 22, 2013
nov1061 said:
Hi,
try to apply for the BOWP online, it's faster than paper based app.
First use the come to Canada tool (in CIC website) and get the unique code. Then login to your my CIC account and click on the visitor visa , study and/or work tab and enter the code. Then the system takes you from there.
The Come to Canada tool just keeps saying "You might be eligible for Express Entry" when I complete the questionnaire. Am I doing something wrong?

Kota1978

Jan 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney,Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-Sep-2014
AOR Received.
30-Jan-2015
Med's Request
24-Feb-2016
Med's Done....
07-Mar-2016
Interview........
RPRF email on Mar-03-2016, paid same day.
Passport Req..
14-Apr-2016
VISA ISSUED...
04-May-2016
LANDED..........
15-May-2016--Yipee!!!!
OrangeBubblegum said:
The Come to Canada tool just keeps saying "You might be eligible for Express Entry" when I complete the questionnaire. Am I doing something wrong?

Just change the answer How many days you want to stay in Canada answer 6 months or more temporary , it seems you are choosing permanently.
It happened with me too.

SAK1979

Star Member
Oct 23, 2014
Hi All
I applied for BOWP today and it is very likely that I may leave Canada before I get it.

The question is will they even issue it when they realize I am no longer in Canada?

Just to add - I am on inter company transfer and my closed WP is still valid for another 3+ months but there is nothing for me to do in Canada. Quitting to stay back is not an option..

Anyone got BOWP while not being in Canada?

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
SAK1979 said:
Hi All
I applied for BOWP today and it is very likely that I may leave Canada before I get it.

The question is will they even issue it when they realize I am no longer in Canada?

Just to add - I am on inter company transfer and my closed WP is still valid for another 3+ months but there is nothing for me to do in Canada. Quitting to stay back is not an option..

Anyone got BOWP while not being in Canada?
I got mine whilst out of Canada last year. Caused no problems, my visa was approved whilst I was out of the country. Border officer looked me up in the system and just wrote the permit number on the stamp. You don't need to 'land' to activate a BOWP, so I didn't need to go into the proper immigration area at border control.

SAK1979

Star Member
Oct 23, 2014
arowberry said:
I got mine whilst out of Canada last year. Caused no problems, my visa was approved whilst I was out of the country. Border officer looked me up in the system and just wrote the permit number on the stamp. You don't need to 'land' to activate a BOWP, so I didn't need to go into the proper immigration area at border control.
Thats encouraging.

Just so that I get it completely - I apply for BOWP -> I leave the country -> I come back with a valid resident Visa (which I already have) and a BOWP issued - should be OK at the border.

By the way, would it matter if I have a job offer in Canada or not?

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
SAK1979 said:
Thats encouraging.

Just so that I get it completely - I apply for BOWP -> I leave the country -> I come back with a valid resident Visa (which I already have) and a BOWP issued - should be OK at the border.

By the way, would it matter if I have a job offer in Canada or not?
That's it. Job offer is irrelevant, it's an open work permit.

chokra

May 15, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-09-2014
Doc's Request.
29-03-2016
AOR Received.
30-01-2015
Med's Request
08-04-2016
Med's Done....
09-04-2016
Passport Req..
10-05-2016
chia_88 said:
I dont believe I am making anything complicated for myself. All I wanted was a more detailed answer, as others have been declined on the basis that the AOR was not enough.

Thanks for your response eitherway.
I too have heard it time and again that the AOR is not enough. However, the applicants have no other document to show as a proof. CIC doesn't issue anything other than the AOR letter. There are people who may have been refused, but the reasons provided for refusal may be different than an AOR.

ganges

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Hey Guys,

I have applied for an open work permit on Feb 27th(as I already have an AOR).
I also have a job offer from a company which is valid till Apr 30th. With the current processing time of 56 days, I seriously doubt if I will get my BOWP by end of April.
Would any of you know if CIC will expedite the process, if I mention them about the job offer?

Also,even though CIC has mentioned that it would take them 56 days, but I doubt if it's actually 56 days.
Reason: today they are working on jan 22nd application and today is March 27. So, the difference is 64 days.

Please advise.

Thanks,

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
ganges said:
Hey Guys,

I have applied for an open work permit on Feb 27th(as I already have an AOR).
I also have a job offer from a company which is valid till Apr 30th. With the current processing time of 56 days, I seriously doubt if I will get my BOWP by end of April.
Would any of you know if CIC will expedite the process, if I mention them about the job offer?

Also,even though CIC has mentioned that it would take them 56 days, but I doubt if it's actually 56 days.
Reason: today they are working on jan 22nd application and today is March 27. So, the difference is 64 days.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Highly unlikely in my opinion. Considering the processing times given are for extensions for new and current employers, I see no reason why they would bump your application to the top.

No harm in trying. I wouldn't be surprised to see the processing times drop back down as the times vary quite a bit; but I understand that optimism isn't particularly useful.

ganges

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Hello everyone,

Another queston: My BOWP is already in process(applied on feb 27th) and now my currently company wants to file for the extension of my current closed work permit.
Would you know as to what will happen to the closed work permit application, if applied?

Thanks

Arwy

Sep 12, 2013
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2014
AOR Received.
09-07-2014
Hi guys,
Does anybody know how bridging open work permit works under Express Entry? I've read the entire thread below, I've read CIC guide for employees, I still don't understand.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/express-entry-applicants-who-received-aor-connect-here-t269696.795.html

Let's sayyou apply under CEC for Express Entry. You get AOR either same day or within 10 days at the latest. Is it sufficient to apply for BOWP under new rules? Lawyers do not know. Website says it can be accepted. Call centre agents say you have to pass eligibility which can take a couple of months... What I'm thinking is that maybe the website accommodates both situations. Let's say under old CEC (before Express Entry) it took 6-8 weeks, sometimes longer to get AOR, so AOR was acceptable, and that's why the website talks about AOR. However, now you get AOR so fast, and you need to get that eligibility review status passed. Do you know anybody who applied and got some updates? Any more info from any sources? What are your thoughts?

vnsse

Star Member
Feb 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello guys, I want to know category of bowp.
Work permit extension (new employer) or New temprorary resident visa
I knew bowp is new temporary but someone said it is workpermit extension new employer.

I paid $255

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
Arwy said:
Hi guys,
Does anybody know how bridging open work permit works under Express Entry? I've read the entire thread below, I've read CIC guide for employees, I still don't understand.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/express-entry-applicants-who-received-aor-connect-here-t269696.795.html

Let's sayyou apply under CEC for Express Entry. You get AOR either same day or within 10 days at the latest. Is it sufficient to apply for BOWP under new rules? Lawyers do not know. Website says it can be accepted. Call centre agents say you have to pass eligibility which can take a couple of months... What I'm thinking is that maybe the website accommodates both situations. Let's say under old CEC (before Express Entry) it took 6-8 weeks, sometimes longer to get AOR, so AOR was acceptable, and that's why the website talks about AOR. However, now you get AOR so fast, and you need to get that eligibility review status passed. Do you know anybody who applied and got some updates? Any more info from any sources? What are your thoughts?
You're over thinking and making things seem far more complicated than they are.

All the AOR is, is a confirmation from the CIC to indicate that they have received a completed application from you, and that you appear to be eligible for PR.

It took longer to get the AOR under the old system because it was paper based and the applications were manually checked in Sydney, before being sent on to Ottawa.

Under EE, you already pass the 'appear to be eligible' stage when you receive your ITA. Therefore it makes perfect sense that you get the AOR very shortly after submitting your completed application.

The eligibility requirements have not changed. If you want confirmation of that, you can simply refer to the CIC website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/prov/bridging.asp

For CEC applications, the status of the Eligibility CEC activity has been set to “Passed” or the Acknowledgement of Receipt letter or e-mail has been sent by the CIO.
This information was updated in December 2014, shortly in advance of the launch of Express Entry.

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
vnsse said:
hello guys, I want to know category of bowp.
Work permit extension (new employer) or New temprorary resident visa
I knew bowp is new temporary but someone said it is workpermit extension new employer.

I paid $255
This has been answered countless times before. It makes no difference, you can check either. Most people seem to check 'new employer' to ensure the CIC doesn't mess up and give them a closed permit attached to their employer.

I submitted a paper application and checked both of them; that's how little it matters.