+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP - How many of you have applied and received it successfully?

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
ganges said:
Hi Guys,

Need some advice here.

I am in Canada and have closed work permit and my wife is on a visitor permit. Also, we have applied for PR(under CEC category) and have received the application no.
But as my current closed WP is due for expiry in May 2015, I want to apply for BOWP now and look for other opportunities.
My question: What should I apply for my wife? A BOWP or a open work permit or a visitor permit?

Thanks in advance
You can apply for OWP for your wife based on your BOWP. Both application (your BOWP and your wife's OWP) can be submitted together. Use this guide/questionnaire:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp

mel713

Star Member
Nov 24, 2014
Calgary AB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-09-2014
AOR Received.
14-01-2015
Med's Request
10-03-2016
Med's Done....
14-03-2016
Passport Req..
24-03-2016
LANDED..........
21-04-2016
Is there any restrictions on the renewed work permit, such as locations, or employers?

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
mel713 said:
Is there any restrictions on the renewed work permit, such as locations, or employers?
Yes, they may put some restriction on WP itself - but those are usually standard restrictions.

mel713

Star Member
Nov 24, 2014
Calgary AB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-09-2014
AOR Received.
14-01-2015
Med's Request
10-03-2016
Med's Done....
14-03-2016
Passport Req..
24-03-2016
LANDED..........
21-04-2016
Thanks. I have been hearing that if people apply under PNP with their employer's support, CIC would put location and employer specific restrictions on the new work permit. However, just wondering if CEC applicants are being restricted on employers. I am guessing not.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
mel713 said:
Thanks. I have been hearing that if people apply under PNP with their employer's support, CIC would put location and employer specific restrictions on the new work permit. However, just wondering if CEC applicants are being restricted on employers. I am guessing not.
Yes, it is different for PNP applicants. Here is the guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/prov/bridging.asp

Upon receipt of the application, the processing office will confirm the following:

the permanent residence applications under one of the classes (CEC, PNP [with no employment restrictions as a condition of the nomination, as above], FSWP, FSTP) has been found eligible;
the applicant is currently in Canada; and
the applicant currently holds a valid work permit that will expire within the next four months and there are no other issues of concern.

The open work permit will be issued under authority of paragraph 205(a) of the IRPR and will be coded as follows:

Validation Exemption Code: C-10
NOC: 9999000
Intended Occupation: Open
Case Type: 27 – Under examination

If a medical examination has not been previously conducted in relation to the applicant's current status in Canada or to their application for permanent residence, or its result has expired, the office must impose the following conditions:

not authorized to work in childcare, primary or secondary school teaching, or health services field occupations;
not authorized to work in agricultural occupations.

In all cases, the officer must input on the work permit the visible remark “APR Pending”. This remark, in addition to the Case Type code will ensure eligibility for continued health care coverage by the province or territory.
Provincial Nominee Program PNP

When a bridging open work permit is being issued to an applicant for permanent residence under the PNP, the employment location on the work permit must be restricted to the nominating province. Therefore, the Province of destination value must be selected, followed by the City of destination value, to show the province or territory NES (not elsewhere stated), as in the following example:

Province of destination: AB
City of destination: Alberta NES

Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP), and Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

For a bridging open work permit issued to FSWP, FSTP or CEC applicants, there are no restrictions to employment location and therefore the Province of destination value must be set to UNK first, and then the City of destination value of “Unknown” can be selected as follows:

Province of destination: UNK
City of destination: Unknown

mel713

Star Member
Nov 24, 2014
Calgary AB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-09-2014
AOR Received.
14-01-2015
Med's Request
10-03-2016
Med's Done....
14-03-2016
Passport Req..
24-03-2016
LANDED..........
21-04-2016
Great! As clear as crystal. +1 for you!

ganges

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
arowberry said:
This link should be a good start for you:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=199&t=17

Hopefully someone will advise you further.
Thanks arorberry. Appreciate the reply.

ganges

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
pfse said:
You can apply for OWP for your wife based on your BOWP. Both application (your BOWP and your wife's OWP) can be submitted together. Use this guide/questionnaire:

Thanks pfse. Appreciate the reply.

joolery

Aug 13, 2014
Calgary
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2014
AOR Received.
19-11-2014
Med's Request
12-01-2016
Med's Done....
29-01-2016
Passport Req..
Decision Made - 29-02-2016 (Visa Exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2016
LANDED..........
18-03-2016
tdot_guy said:
Do i need to provide an explanationletter for online applciation?
I would, so that it is absolutely clear you are applying for BOWP.

I had an explanation letter on mine, but did not include it on my husband's part of the application (I didn't think I needed to). Unfortunately they processed his part prior to mine and prematurely rejected his as they thought he was trying to extend his IEC. They amended it and approved his SOWP in the end, but man it was a scary 20 minutes.

tdot_guy

Nov 6, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks for your reply, I do not know if there will be a column for that, I'll just make a word file. Will be applying soon.

EEdreams15

Star Member
Jan 30, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can someone from a non-visa exempt country (Nigeria) who is a PNP holder flagpole to get their BOWP?

ganges

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I am in Canada and applying for BOWP as I have received my AOR and my current WP getting expired in the next 4 months.
I just filled up the eligibility questions for my BOWP and my wife's visitor permit extension.
But surprisingly, the list of documents that was asked in the checklist as supporting documents include - Itinerary, Travel

Application Form(s)
Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker (IMM5710)

Supporting Documents
Marriage License/Certificate
Family Member Proof of Status
Itinerary, Travel - Why this, I am inside of Canada
Passport or travel document
Digital Photo
Use of a Family Member Representative for Online Applications (IMM5713)

Family Members
You have told us that additional people will come to Canada with you. - Again, it seems like CIC feels like I am outside the country.

Please attach their documents below.
Family Member
Application Form(s)

Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or a Temporary Resident Permit Holder (IMM5708)

Please attach their documents below.
Passport or travel document

Also, when I spoke to CIC call center and was told that bridging work permit cannot be applied online?
Is that correct?

Thanks in advance

lhyyym

Aug 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi friends. Do principal applicant and spouse both qualify to apply for BOWP? Or only principal applicant does?

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
lhyyym said:
Hi friends. Do principal applicant and spouse both qualify to apply for BOWP? Or only principal applicant does?
That question was asked today in this very thread. I quote from pfse:

pfse said:

The principle applicant can get a BOWP, the spouse can get an OWP.